Sterling or yaya against madrid?

I have yet to see it marvin. To me Delph should never be on a football pitch ahead of yaya but then I am not a manager of tactical expert.
At the Bernabeu, we are going to be without the ball for long periods. If Delph's control and passing was better there'd be no discussion, but there isn't an obvious replacement for Silva given that Nasri is not in the squad. For me Yaya is a non-starter, but Delph is a possibility if played as a defensive shield alongside Fernando, or played centrally. Releases Fernandinho to get forward more.

I'm with you WW, Toure is a quality footballer who can keep the ball and get us a goal.
And without the ball? We will have less than 60% possession so what can he do? With the ball he is far less effective nowadays.

I would go with the same back 4 plus the ferns

Then ya ya in front of those 2 - aguero navas and de Bruyne

So a 4-2-1-2-1.

Like a modern day revie plan

At the Bernabeu, we are going to be without the ball for long periods. If Delph's control and passing was better there'd be no discussion, but there isn't an obvious replacement for Silva given that Nasri is not in the squad. For me Yaya is a non-starter, but Delph is a possibility if played as a defensive shield alongside Fernando, or played centrally. Releases Fernandinho to get forward more.

To say Yaya is a non-starter and then to even consider Delph for a game of such magnitude is a ridiculous comment. It would have been a close call between Yaya and Silva had he been fit for the first leg but Silva would have been probably the right call but only because it meant De Bruyne could play behind Aguero. If Toure is fit he has to play in a midfield 3 alongside Dinho with Fernando behind them just like in Seville. Despite not being the player he was he's still turned up and been one of our best players in plenty of big games this season. People talk about us not having much of the ball in the 2nd leg well we'll have far less without someone who can keep it all day and link the play with De Bruyne and Aguero. They'll get starved of the ball even more than they did 2nd half the other night over there without someone good enough to receive the ball off players from pretty much anywhere. Plus we'll need a goal. He shouldn't play as a 10 obviously but in a midfield 3 the perceived weakness will actually make us more solid than with KDB playing as a 10 but almost alongside Sergio for long periods.

To say Yaya is a non-starter and then to even consider Delph for a game of such magnitude is a ridiculous comment. It would have been a close call between Yaya and Silva had he been fit for the first leg but Silva would have been probably the right call but only because it meant De Bruyne could play behind Aguero. If Toure is fit he has to play in a midfield 3 alongside Dinho with Fernando behind them just like in Seville. Despite not being the player he was he's still turned up and been one of our best players in plenty of big games this season. People talk about us not having much of the ball in the 2nd leg well we'll have far less without someone who can keep it all day and link the play with De Bruyne and Aguero. They'll get starved of the ball even more than they did 2nd half the other night over there without someone good enough to receive the ball off players from pretty much anywhere. Plus we'll need a goal. He shouldn't play as a 10 obviously but in a midfield 3 the perceived weakness will actually make us more solid than with KDB playing as a 10 but almost alongside Sergio for long periods.

That's what I was trying to say! Great post.

Hmm, with both Fernas in the team we can get away with toure's lack of mobility and defensive energy a bit more. He can more than make up for it with his ability to keep the ball if he has those two to sweep up and do the 'work'. Putting Delph on would be ludicrous - his ability to keep the ball is pretty woeful, and having him on alongside the 2 Fernas would invite more pressure than necessary.
You have identified we will be under pressure there - so why have someone who gave away the ball 90% of the time against Newcastle, so certainly will against Real.
Only issue with starting Toure will be pushing KDB out wide, which isn't the right thing to do
It's between sterling or toure to start. Sterling has at least done well in the CL. Delph should be nowhere near this conversation.

Goid grief, delph being mentioned let alone considered is laughable. Nowhere near the standard required. They're not all that in truth. We turn up and give it everything we won't lose. Yaya plays positively, ie passes it forward and looks for runners. We're going to need that vision and ability on Wednesday not someone who cant control the ball half the time. We were more than a match until silva went off. Pellers made a big mistake bringing kelechi on ,surely he sees that.

The only player we have who can collect the ball from defence and get it to KdB or Aguero is Yaya. Please, for the love of God can people stop saying play Delph in that role - Jesus H. I still think Delph has a role in the team, and don't think he's quite as bad as people are making out on here.

The only player we have who can collect the ball from defence and get it to KdB or Aguero is Yaya. Please, for the love of God can people stop saying play Delph in that role - Jesus H. I still think Delph has a role in the team, and don't think he's quite as bad as people are making out on here.

We're playing Real Madrid, not Aston Villa. They're the better team and will have the majority of possession, unless something unexpected happens and they get reduced to 10 men early. Leicester have proved this season possession means nothing, it's what you do with it.

To give ourselves any chance we have to defend as a team, no weak links, no passengers. Even if Yaya is mentally bang on it which is always questionable at best, his body isn't capable of putting in 45 minutes of defensive work at the intensity we'll require without compromises, let alone 90/120 minutes. Sterling at least gives us a glimmer of hope in that respect, even if he's not as tactically aware as I would like, he's capable of making recovery runs to make up numbers, Yaya sadly isn't.

You underestimate the deterioration in Toure's game and overstate his contribution this season. He's OK in games played against weak opponents where we have a lot of the ball and the game is at a low tempo. I am looking at the player now, whereas I think you are remembering the player who won us titles. They are not the same. We don't have many options without Silva and Nasri, but I'd rather play Delph in a role in which he is comfortable than see Toure strolling around unable to effect the game

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.