Steve Wright DJ RIP

I was absolutely gutted when John Peel died.
I will be when James H and Radcliffe go.
They are more than just celebrities. Radio is a very personal medium. Some presenters make it sound like they're just talking to you.

It's really OK to be upset.
We live in such a fast-changing ruthless and often isolated world and for some that voice on the wireless is a lifeline

Some great memories of his afternoon shows in the 80's, one in particular comes to mind. They did a bit of a song taking the piss out of geldoff, and the daft names he gave his kids at the time.
Next thing geldoff is on the phone absolutely fuming, really giving him some, in fact I think he threatened to get in a car and drive to the studio he was that mad. Steve broadcast the call live I think.
All you can hear in the background is Steve's posse pissing themselves laughing while Steve tries to placate the angry Irish man.
Very funny.
Rip Steve, thanks for the laughs

I'm sorry, but I can't get the hang of all this 'celebrity' grieving.

Did anybody know Steve Wright personally, or any deceased celebrity come to that?

Sure it's disappointing that he has gone at 69, far too young in this day and age, but it's also disappointing that Jane Jones or Simon Smith who live in the neighbourhood also died at 69.

Celebrities are just people who have been lucky, talented or both, that's all. I'm sure you're important in your job as well. They don't, or shouldn't affect your daily life, there are more important and significant people in your life to be that.

My all means live for today, but you'll be making a huge mistake if you don't live for tomorrow as well........and some person who you've never met, or doesn't know you from Adam shouldn't influence you.
Did you feel a loss when Franny Lee or Colin Bell died?

At the time, I enjoyed listening to him but wonder if he really was genuinely ‘innovative’, or simply fortunate enough to have an American wife and access to American culture at a time when it didn’t cross the Atlantic as quickly as today.
Without Little Richard and Chuck Berry the Beatles would never have been formed (not saying SW was as good as the Beatles!)

Absolutely hated his Serious jockin' (No G) feature, but the rest of his show was OK, but his show was definitely stuck in a time warp,

I liked his Sunday shows though.

Apparently, he just lived for his radio work.

Thanks for the memories Steve.
I drove around the Western Highlands just after the Covid Lockdown ended and Radio 2 was all you could get. Steve Wright was on in the afternoon and whilst there were elements of his show that were irritating (you just named the No.1 irritant), he was still entertaining enough for the radio to remain on.
The following year we made the same trip (near enough) and Steve Wright had been replaced by Scott Mills, who had Davina McColl on as a guest. They duly churned out some of the most humourless banal crap I’d ever heard. I would have preferred to have listened to “serious jockin” a hundred times over than that!

Last edited:
My first memory of Steve Wright was listening to his show in the barbers after school when he was still on Radio 1. I listened pretty much every evening after school from that point, and carried when I started work. His show would be on in the warehouse, and nobody ever complained. I've listened to him pretty much ever since, and it came as a massive shock when I found out the sad news yesterday.

RIP Diamond Geezer.

He was a comfy pair of slippers, brought joy to a lot of people and such a shame he's gone at that age, presume he had a heart attack.
RIP

Like many I grew up listening to him, first radio 1 than radio 2.
Sadly radio 2 has lost focus nowadays and I stopped listening when he start doing Serious Jocking without the G. Absolutely hated that !!

Perhaps it was something to do with me pronouncing my G strongly and all the southerns dont pronounce their G !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.