Stockport County

Looking solid for promotion now. Their winning streak has been City esq..

The last few games of the season will make or break it for them. They have to play all of their title rivals one after another.

I know non- league is now the hipster thing to do on non city playing weekends but I will never step foot in Edgeley Park. Fans are tossers and the Ultra movement is cringe as f*ck.

I know a lot of people on here hate them.
Used to go there from time to time on a Friday night, when I lived as a teenager in Hazel Grove, so they were effectively my ‘local’ team. Never much mither between us and them, as I remember it. Probably because our paths virtually haven't crossed in the entirety of our respective clubs' histories, except for that unfortunate period at the end of the 90s.
Used to quite enjoy it, if only because watching them in the old third division made me realise acutely, if I didn't already know it, the galactic difference in the football that I was watching on the following day. Oh and incidentally the Cheadle End at the time made the Kippax seem like the Dorchester.

I know a lot of people on here hate them.
Used to go there from time to time on a Friday night, when I lived as a teenager in Hazel Grove, so they were effectively my ‘local’ team. Never much mither between us and them, as I remember it. Probably because our paths virtually haven't crossed in the entirety of our respective clubs' histories, except for that unfortunate period at the end of the 90s.
Used to quite enjoy it, if only because watching them in the old third division made me realise acutely, if I didn't already know it, the galactic difference in the football that I was watching on the following day. Oh and incidentally the Cheadle End at the time made the Kippax seem like the Dorchester.
Likewise, I used to go on a Friday night in the Go Go Go County days of Len Allchurch and Jim Fryatt. I had a friend back in those days that lived a couple of doors down whose father was a Stockport fan, and there would be a knock on the door at halfpast six or whatever time it was from my friend asking me if I was going.

His dad used to pay our gate money, but we squeezed in two for the price of one through the turnstile, and on one occasion we each received a pin badge. We sat in the Cheadle stand, and marvelled at all the smoke and steam blowing over from the engine shed situated just behind the opposite end when the wind was in the right direction.

My dad grew up in Stockport, and he told me once about a game he was at that went on for so long, he went home, had his tea, then went back and the game was still going on.

It was also the ground I heard my greatest ever comment regarding a football match. I grew up near Altrincham and we went to watch them play at Edegely Park when Altrincham were riding high in the Cheshire League and Stockport County reserves were in the same league.

At some point in the game, an Altrincham player passed the ball from one side of the pitch to the other, and an old boy standing in front of us said 'That was a fourth division pass'.

It was a compliment without any irony behind it, but the guy he was standing next to replied 'Yes, you're right, it was a fourth division pass'.

Happy days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.