stoke away in the seventies

fathellensbellend

found this from a stoke website, anyone know or remember this game, or even go to it, the one with over 20k city fans in attendance.

Re: Last time we played Citeh FA CUP
« Reply #6 Today at 12:10am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those games agianst the mancs in the 70s were awesome....i think 38,000 the crowd?....some debates a few years ago on the old Oatcake site reckoned a game against city in the early 70s may have drawn over 60,000 as the ground couldnt account for the number of fans, they brought over 20,000

I went a couple of times but one does stand out as being full of Blues. Must've been towards the end of the 70's.

I only remember because i went in a reliant robin with 4 blokes and yes, when we got back to the car it was on it's roof.

Can't remember the year. The old Victoria ground, they had taken the roof off for some reason and it resembled a bomb site. ABSOLUTLY BLOODY FREEZING that night. Slipped down at half time on my way to the bogs. After the game travelling back the heat from the car started to warm us up. My hands started to thaw, looked at them and they were cut to ribbons.
Happy days.

any one remember a game in the eighties div 2 think it was new years day loads of inflatables and fancy dress. we had bertie biggins playing for us we filled all down one side and behind goal as well, remember two blues trying to get in dressed in panto horse with one ticket police laughed that much they let them in

metsoblue said:
any one remember a game in the eighties div 2 think it was new years day loads of inflatables and fancy dress. we had bertie biggins playing for us we filled all down one side and behind goal as well, remember two blues trying to get in dressed in panto horse with one ticket police laughed that much they let them in

I was at that game ....... 12,000 of us were there , but we lost 1-3

i had a 'vicar' sat to my left .. and a 'roman gladiator' sat in front!

fathellensbellend said:
found this from a stoke website, anyone know or remember this game, or even go to it, the one with over 20k city fans in attendance.

Re: Last time we played Citeh FA CUP
« Reply #6 Today at 12:10am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those games agianst the mancs in the 70s were awesome....i think 38,000 the crowd?....some debates a few years ago on the old Oatcake site reckoned a game against city in the early 70s may have drawn over 60,000 as the ground couldnt account for the number of fans, they brought over 20,000

I almost certainly went to it , but the memory fades , it was so long ago ...... it was in my early years of supporting City and i went to almost every away game back then , and i can just about remember us almost taking over the place one year .... we seemed to be in every stand!

But Stoke were no pushover even then , and if you went into the Boothen End you usually got trouble ...... whether you wanted it or not!.

Other 'memorable' days at Stoke were for Trevor Francis's debut ..... when again we took thousands , and won 3-1 ............ and the year we lost 4-0 , and then proceeded to wreck the place on the way back to the station!

Yes you are right about the boothen end it did have a reputation, the BBC did a play about it in the seventies it was about the so called top man from stoke called ZIGGER ZAGGER any one remember it ?

A Blue said:
Can't remember the year. The old Victoria ground, they had taken the roof off for some reason and it resembled a bomb site. ABSOLUTLY BLOODY FREEZING that night. Slipped down at half time on my way to the bogs. After the game travelling back the heat from the car started to warm us up. My hands started to thaw, looked at them and they were cut to ribbons.
Happy days.
I was there. The roof had been ripped off by a gale!
And for Trevor Francis' debut. Jesus he was fast!

went loads of times in the seventies, got bags of trouble in the boothen end, anyone remember the crew they had all with sheepskin coats on, also just before bally got the push we played there, we stopped the coach at leek on the way back, then proceeded to hit all the pubs, got to about 8pm then all of a sudden these guys turned up think they were called the naughty forty, someone had rang them to come and sort us all out, they seemed to like there brick throwing rather than a set too, so if you decide to drop off in leek don,t stay too long if your not that way inclined?

I was at the fancy dress game, but I'm sure it was a Boxing Day?

I remember a huge banana being carried in by about 4 or 5 lads and the steward saying "hahaha! That's big enough to have someone in side!" and when they got inside, of course, another Blue popped out of the banana! Remember it being wild before and after the game and being chased back to the car park. The sight of Adolf Hitler and Orville the Duck trading blows with some clayheads will live with me forever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.