Stoke post match

a lot of debate regarding the penalties , both were soft decisions in my view , and cancelled each other out , we were superb in the 1st half took the sting out of a hostile crowd in difficult windy conditions . In the 2nd half we did not keep the ball as well , but we were never really in trouble., although 4-1 flattered us , (but if that had been the Rags winning by that scoreline at Stoke they would be starting up the open top bus). Give credit were its due , 3 wins and 11 goals scored for a team still adapting to Pep's tactics , and with 3 or 4 key players to return as well , you have got to be happy with that .So to the few who believe we were'nt all that good today , give your head a wobble

I'm not arguing whether they were penalties or not, but it's good to see that they are trying to stop
all the wrestling that goes on at corners. But wait, no, it's looks like Mr Dean is the only one, on this
crusade. Watching other games it's still happening, as usual.

This 100%. There's a sound logic to the new directive but no sense whatsoever if only one ref is applying it. As for that tackle on Merlin....

I think some people are being too negative about the performance, sure the passing wasn't as good in the second half but they actually did a good job of pressing us did Stoke and made it a game that required some grit, our players were tiring towards the end and Pep made exactly the right substitutions. We battled when we needed to and didn't let them outwork us even though we had a CL game in the week and they didn't, it was good to see Pep knows he will need to get that sort of fight from the players and he got just that today. We are going to play the pretty stuff but we are going to battle when we need to by the looks of it.

In recent seasons neither penalties would have been given. Go back a few more years and both were penalties and with the recent instruction to clubs had to be given.
In Leics v Arsenal, Clattenburg appeared to be playing to last seasons rules.
In fairness to Sterling he endeavoured to mark his man even if he was disadvantaged in height.

I thought it was a good performance overall. First half, excellent. Great to see us matching them for work rate and physicality on their own turf. Second half not so good, we looked tired and got sloppy. We can forgive that so early in the season, playing to a new system that demands that workrate and after the efforts of midweek. The referee made some baffling decisions, and I don't just mean the penalties. On the penalties, no complaints given that both teams got one for the same offence, it will be interesting to see if these offences get pulled consistently throughout the season though.
To beat Stoke 4-1 at their place isn't easy, great result and great support from the travelling blues.

Both penalty decisions were a joke.

The penalty for City was the best call worldwide for years! Players have to get used to stop pulling, grabbing or holding. Using the hands is a foul. If they do it in the box it's a pen. I hope the refs go on like that until the players get it.

Sterling's penalty call in comparison was really tough, but he used his hands, not his body. Probably that was just the late call for Kolarov's foul though.

2nd half was a bit out of steam. Some wrong decisions and sloppy passes by Willy, Silva, KDB, Navas.
Anyway, good to see City win 4-1 at Stoke and didn't even have a perfect game!
It will get even better.

It was probably a bit dry for the lad, he's just come from Vigo which believe it or not on average gets twice as much rain as Manchester.
Well I never, you're right. The weather makes no sense to me to be honest. Still, nothing can prepare you for the wind at Stoke. Down there, when they watch the Wizard of Oz they see the hurricane at the beginning as just a light breeze.

I suspect you are right, but I hope not, as I said if they cracked down on it, it would be good.

When I said "lucky", I did mean with the foul by Kolarov, as had they got it and scored it would have been a different game.

I agree that we deserved to win overall, but I thought 4-1 flattered us really, and I didn't think our passing was good, especially under pressure (Willies was pretty awful), and that we dallied on the ball too long, especially in forward areas.

We made too many unforced errors, relative to the standards we will be aiming form, but showed decent mental strength, so no reason today to suspect that if Stoke had scored earlier they would have caused us additional problems.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.