Stoke - the tipping point

Not sure re the first goal as we have played our best stuff when trailing. Watching Man city this term I have noticed though that they can get frustrated if things don't go their way- Wolves and Birmingham more recent examples of course. If we keep it tight early (we don't take the lead very often this season) then I can see us winning this. Easier said than done of course. Shawcross HAS to get tighter to Tevez though . Caused him problems in the past which is rarely said about Ryan

Gutted I can't be there but a beach bar in Koh Samui will have to make do. :-) Man City fans always make themselves known so should be electric unlike that other lot. I'm sure they film that show 'The Walking Dead' outside of Old Trafford on a match day

Jamo said:
Skibum said:
I'd also like to welcome and thank the Stokies. Fair points being made without giving it large as they say.

With players like Tuncay,Etherington and Fuller Stoke are much much more than a long ball team.

The fact that I think this is a tipping point game for City shows the respect I have for Stoke at the Britannia.

The pessimist in me thinks it will be a very close game. However better players with the right attitude and the right tactics should win everytime unless lady luck is against you.

I don't think Stoke have ever parked the bus at home so that's a positive for City.

My prediction 1-3 City.. Tevez first goal scorer. Balotelli 2nd and 3rd goals.

The first goal will be key, if we get it then I predict lots of chewing of Stokie nails as we will, without doubt try and hang on to what we've got.

The plus point from our end is that we've started to defend a lot more "Stoke like" than we have earlier in the season where stupid errors were costing us goals at frequent intervals.

As I've already said; I reckon both clubs would probably take the draw if it was offered and move on to the next game.

Is Johnson likely to play? How he doesn't play for you more I'll never know. I'd pick him for England as well (down the right of course with Etherington on the left!)

Starting line-up will probably not include Adam Johnson. Mancini prefers to use him as an impact sub for the last 15/20 mins.

A lot of City fans agree with you that he should be starting. Personally I think Mancini has got it about right with AJ. Silva keeps possession better and surprisingly isn't as lightweight as you might expect.

The likely line-up is Hart Boateng/Richards K Toure Kompany Kolarov, Barry, De Jong, Y Toure, Silva, Tevez and Balotelli

key is the running of the midfield 3 -- de jong is certain to, just wonder if Barry and Yaya can find the 1st half form against Fulham.
Silva is always moving so not bothered about him.

Against Stoke, city need to run them into the ground.

Morning all, yet another Stoke fan here.

Really looking forward to the game on Saturday. The deciding factor for me will be which version of Man City turn up at the Brit. If we get the Man City from the first half at Fulham then I have to fear the worst but on the other hand if we get the Wolves away variety then anything has to be possible!

As for Stoke, well we have a decent record against you at our place since we came up (although I'm still emotionally scarred by the 5-2...) and are on a good run so should approach the game with some confidence. Shawcross is well overdue a set-piece goal - he's yet to score this season.

Should be a cracker hopefully. Safe journey to all of you making the effort but obviously I hope you're all miserable come 5pm Saturday ;-)

Up the Potters!

Wouldn't be surprised if we saw Milner rotated with Barry. Bit more energy in midfield will be needed than against Fulham.

What did you all make of it then?

First half you looked no different to last year, completely unenthusiastic about the prospect of playing in a hostile atmosphere in the cold weather. I suppose it didn't help that the state of the pitch prevented either team being able to produce an accurate pass in certain regions of the pitch, but I was expecting better. We really, really should have gone in a good 2 or 3 goals up at half time and the game should have been dead. I'm actually genuinely disappointed that we didn't make the most of our first half dominance and only came away with a draw.

Obviously the second half was a completely different affair and we really struggled to get out momentum back or get the ball off you. I thought Tevez had a good game for your lot, but your man of the match must surely be either de Jong or Kompany, although how they got away with some of their aerial challenges on Jones considering the number of stupid free-kicks the referee gave against Stoke forwards, I'll never know. Kompany always impresses against us, mind, he's a damn good player.

A draw was probably a fair result on reflection. We're disappointed not to have put the game to bed in the first half, while you'll be likely to focus on your second half performance. That said, I can recall quite a few very good chances that we had, but I'm struggling to think of more than two clear cut chances you had, not counting shots from outside the box. How ANYBODY can criticise our football after watching Man City tippy-tappy the ball around in their own half for 15 minutes at a time is beyond me. It's absolutely baffling that you waste so much time in your own half when with a bit more intent you could probably have had a good go at overwhelming us at the back.

Mancini does your club no credit either. Last season, Alan Wiley had a decent go at refereeing the game fairly in the first half, although he did give rather a few dubious decisions your way. At half time, he followed Wiley all the way back into the referee's dressing room and in the second half he gave you absolutely everything, including chalking off a perfectly good goal. Again, today, the first half sees a referee that gives some ludicrous decisions against Stoke and in your favour (including the 'look how hard I am, I'll give a foul throw against Delap but let Manchester City take their throw-ins wherever and however they feel like' bit), only for Mancini and Kidd to hound him into the tunnel. Second half, the referee's performance changes as he gives more decisions in your favour. It's not right and it reflects poorly on you as a football club. Makes you no better than that lot up the road.

P.S. Balotelli - how much did you pay for him? I know Robinho disappeared in the winter, but this guy really does rather take the biscuit, what a girl.

MysticalDescent said:

First half you looked no different to last year, completely unenthusiastic about the prospect of playing in a hostile atmosphere in the cold weather. I suppose it didn't help that the state of the pitch prevented either team being able to produce an accurate pass in certain regions of the pitch, but I was expecting better. We really, really should have gone in a good 2 or 3 goals up at half time and the game should have been dead. I'm actually genuinely disappointed that we didn't make the most of our first half dominance and only came away with a draw.

Obviously the second half was a completely different affair and we really struggled to get out momentum back or get the ball off you. I thought Tevez had a good game for your lot, but your man of the match must surely be either de Jong or Kompany, although how they got away with some of their aerial challenges on Jones considering the number of stupid free-kicks the referee gave against Stoke forwards, I'll never know. Kompany always impresses against us, mind, he's a damn good player.

A draw was probably a fair result on reflection. We're disappointed not to have put the game to bed in the first half, while you'll be likely to focus on your second half performance. That said, I can recall quite a few very good chances that we had, but I'm struggling to think of more than two clear cut chances you had, not counting shots from outside the box. How ANYBODY can criticise our football after watching Man City tippy-tappy the ball around in their own half for 15 minutes at a time is beyond me. It's absolutely baffling that you waste so much time in your own half when with a bit more intent you could probably have had a good go at overwhelming us at the back.

Mancini does your club no credit either. Last season, Alan Wiley had a decent go at refereeing the game fairly in the first half, although he did give rather a few dubious decisions your way. At half time, he followed Wiley all the way back into the referee's dressing room and in the second half he gave you absolutely everything, including chalking off a perfectly good goal. Again, today, the first half sees a referee that gives some ludicrous decisions against Stoke and in your favour (including the 'look how hard I am, I'll give a foul throw against Delap but let Manchester City take their throw-ins wherever and however they feel like' bit), only for Mancini and Kidd to hound him into the tunnel. Second half, the referee's performance changes as he gives more decisions in your favour. It's not right and it reflects poorly on you as a football club. Makes you no better than that lot up the road.

P.S. Balotelli - how much did you pay for him? I know Robinho disappeared in the winter, but this guy really does rather take the biscuit, what a girl.

Now you've finished typing with them eleven fingers maybe you could give us a tune on your Banjo?

Danamy said:
MysticalDescent said:

Now you've finished typing with them eleven fingers maybe you could give us a tune on your Banjo?

Deluded wnaker...sure you are not a Dirty Red?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.