Stoke Vs City Post Match Discussion Thread

Stoned Rose said:
An interesting shift seems to have occurred.

The last 3 games have seen teams not park the bus against us but instead they've actually had a right good go and on all 3 occasions IMO gotten the better of us, especially in the middle third.

That in itself tells me something is different.

I think they call it a '2 man midfield'.

It doesn't suit our personnel and playing that way with a patched up back 4 to protect is very arrogant, very stupid or both.

Imo to win games in this league it's almost essential to control midfield. Controlling midfield does two things i) it takes the heat off the back 4 and ii) it allows you (in theory) to create chances to score. Mancini was very very big on this and imo was spot on in this aspect (he did get other things wrong though).

If we go with a 2 man midfield the scum will obliterate us mark my words.

The Plzen game is now pivotal. Should we not win that game the pressure on the manager and players will be immense going into the derby and the 'doubts' will be pervasive.

The 2 man midfield has to go.

I'd go 4-5-1 v Plzen. Flood the midfield and control the middle third. The rest will come as a result of said control.

Excellent post....

4 points out of 9 against 3 teams who will finish in the bottom half of the league. 3 of those points against Hull who will be relegated (because they can't score anywhere near enough - even when given easy chances). A defeat against a team who will struggle (Cardiff) and a draw against Stoke who we normally draw with but have never looked second best too,

We have a team that looked total strangers today with ZERO effort and ZERO attacking vigour and who were very much second best today. On top of this we look like we have a manager who, though IT IS EARLY DAYS, looks as clueless as Hughes at putting things right.

We are looking fucked at the moment. I'm not looking forward to the derby next Sunday one little bit.

Stoned Rose said:

The last 3 games have seen teams not park the bus against us but instead they've actually had a right good go and on all 3 occasions IMO gotten the better of us, especially in the middle third.

It doesn't suit our personnel and playing that way with a patched up back 4 to protect is very arrogant, very stupid or both.

Imo to win games in this league it's almost essential to control midfield. Controlling midfield does two things i) it takes the heat off the back 4 and ii) it allows you (in theory) to create chances to score. Mancini was very very big on this and imo was spot on in this aspect (he did get other things wrong though).

The Plzen game is now pivotal. Should we not win that game the pressure on the manager and players will be immense going into the derby and the 'doubts' will be pervasive.

I'd go 4-5-1 v Plzen. Flood the midfield and control the middle third. The rest will come as a result of said control.

Its the consensus of opinion on here and people often say football is a simple game made harder by participants and managers wanting things and trying to implement strategies that don't work.

You would think that if it was that simple we would do it and maybe it is.

The toolman blames his tools for not doing something that the tool is incapable of doing but rather than building something his tools are capable of doing he buys a newer version of the old tool and ends up becoming a tool himself.

Its been like loosing your virginity, a really big build up, but it ends up being disappointing. I was really excited pre season, until arsenal game, where we looked out of it totally. we then smash the geordies, and then go down hill again.

I thought it was going to be like kevin keegans newcastle, you score 2 we will get 3/4. but we don't look like creating loads of chances do we? don't get it, as manuel is renowned for attacking football, this has just been shit really...

Where's Dzeko all of a sudden? He's gone from praising him to dropping him in four games ? Navas was pulled from the Cardiff game and now benched against a Stoke team who can't defend ? Aguero benched half hour before kick off only to come on second half with twenty minuites to go? Lescott not starting against a notorious long ball physical team ? Fernandinho dropped for no apparent reason other than saving him for that massive game against the unknown Czechs?

Mancini had his faults but this guy is just another Scolari waiting to happen.

I think we need to lower expectations this season.

Those who think we will piss the league this season and there were plenty are surely questionning that!

I think top 4 may prove to be a struggle based on what I have seen so far.

What happened to Milner and Rodwell being the answer?

Sky Blue said:
Stoned Rose said:

Excellent post....

Agreed, anyone that knows football will tell you that control of midfield is vital, hopefully we will sort it out asap.

bluethunder said:
our problem is lazy players. some of our players are lazy as fuck. all they care about is their pay cheque. they don't take pride in their game.

there's a number of players that switch off whenever they want and it is not acceptable.

Spot on. You look at Stoke's work rate today. They aren't gonna match us for individual skill but they can sure as
well make it hard for us. We don't make the game hard for anybody. It looks like we think that we'll be too good
for anyone before a ball is kicked.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.