Strange Boozers you have been in

I don't know if it's been mentioned on here, but the Collier's Arms at Hartshead Pike, Mossley. I only went a couple of times, probably in the early eighties, but it was basically the front room of a farmhouse with beer from a cask in another room, served through a hatch. It was pretty much the family front room. It might have also been know as the piggery. Old landlord and his family in an old fashioned room, it certainly had an atmosphere of it's own, like a set from the League of Gentlemen.
Had similar near Salisbury Railway Station in c1980 -the Pub was literally somebody’s front room including Dog etc

I went to Peterborough with Hereford once and the designated away pub was a huge barge moored to the side of a canal. There was a Chinese restaurant upstairs too.
Went in there last time we played Peterborough. It’s moored on the River Nene in sight of the ground. Restaurant upstairs and real ale sold downstairs. Premier Inn just across the road, hope we play them again soon because that’s where I’ll be.

Can't remember the name but it was near Hartshead Pike,on a farm near Mossley.
The "bar" was there living room and you sat with the old man who ran it on the settee,a definite eye opener for my Aussie missus.
Collier's Arms.

Used to go in a lot in the 70's.

The old woman used to do her knitting in the corner of her living room, which was the bar room also.

The Miners Arms in Poynton in the 1960's, also The Ladybower Inn back then.

one for the Irish punters on here.
Waterford Town. Little pub near Reginalds Tower. Old couple owned it, opened and shut whenever they wanted, wouldn't serve women, men in uniform or blokes with beards. Little old lady behind the jump allowed you 4 pints and no more, 'get yerself home to yer wife'...

There used to be a place called "The Slurp n' Burp" 2 or 3 miles outside the town of Moscow, Idaho. It was a large cinderblock roadside place, mainly a farmer and logger boozer but the beer and food was cheap so you'd see groups of university students there quite often.

It had a smell, stench rather, that stayed with you in your clothing after you left, a mixture of stale beer and fryer grease. I was told they rarely, if ever, changed the grease in the fryers. However, the chips were fantastic. Perhaps it's because of the ancient grease.

There was a really lovely hand cut chair made of an old tree stump near one of the pool tables by the front door. It was the "touchest man in the bar chair." If you sat in it, it meant you thought you were the hardest man in the place and were open to proving it. Anyone else could offer to take you outside.

The toilets were dreadful. The gents toilet was a room not much bigger than a jail cell containing a pisser and a proper toilet. There was no divider. If you had, unfortunately, to have a shit you were often met with a disapproving look or words from someone when they came in for a piss.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.