Strange Boozers you have been in

the cheshire cheese on washway road, talk about a local pub for local pub, i swear to this day a dart stopped in mid air when me and my mates walked in.
The temple inn in Sale… I walked in a few months ago with a mate having said ‘I can’t believe I’ve been here for 15 years, and not been in’…
We walked in… it felt like I’d stepped back into the late 80’s - neon, bright lights, an errr eclectic mixture of characters stared as we walked the short distance to the bar… within a few milliseconds we decided that maybe it wasn’t quite what we were looking for, 180’d and headed for pastures pleasant.

I obviously realised why I hadn’t visited the ‘pub that time forgot’ before.

I went in the Fox Vaults on Liverpool Street in Salford for the 1st time about 53/54 years ago.

Along the right side as you walked in was a couple of long benches the which the prostitutes use to sit in while they waited for business. All the tables and chairs were screwed to the floor and a top was over the table which only showed the top 3 inches of the glass.

Whilst I was sat there looking at my shoes a bloke came in and banged on the counter demanding a pint of bitter. The barman said 1 and you are gone. After his pint the bloke demand another the barman pulled out a cosh and hit him hard on the head. The bloke collapsed to the floor sparko. Without a word passing between anyone 2 blokes got up and dragged the sparked bloke out of the front door and lent him up against the wall still sparko.

Last edited:
I went in the Fox Vaults on Liverpool Street in Salford for the 1st time about 53/54 years ago.

Along the right side as you walked in was a couple of long benches the which the prostitutes use to sit in while they waited for business. All the tables and chairs were screw to the floor and a top was over the table which only showed the top 3 inches of the glass.

Whilst I was sat there looking at my shoes a bloke came in and banged on the counter demanding a pint of bitter. The barman said 1 and you are gone. After his pint the bloke demand another the barman pulled out a cosh and hit him hard on the head. The bloke collapsed to the floor sparko. Without a word passing between anyone 2 blokes got up and dragged the sparked bloke out of the front door and lent him up against the wall still sparko.
and at that point you were like i think ive found my local

Nickelbys on Dale St in town was an odd boozer. Shabby interiors, with very well dressed punters...for thats where the tailors and reg trade hung out...you could walk in for a swift one, and come out having been fitted up for a new suit, which you could pick up in there by the end of the week.

The Express Club...higgins in there bladdered playing pool for nifty a game, didnt put two hands on the cue...the locals owed him 4tun ( not a prayer)..that's when the fun started...he ended up getting launched ( crowd surfing style) shouting to anyone that was laffing he'd put a contract out on em..halcyon days.

Last edited:
This thread reminds me of a story my retired ex HR Director (and now mate) told me.

He goes to all major tournaments with old football watching mates from the 80s (Leeds fans but well to do types rather than the usual thug variety). On one occasion they were in Puerto Allegre for the Brazil world cup. There were not many bars near their B&B and those a distance away would shut early. Anyway, they noticed a place across the road from they were staying. It was very small. There was just a table that would fit around six people around it and a TV showing sporty all the time. They would often see one or two blokes in it drinking beer. The Leeds fans thought they would give it a go late one night after the other pubs had shut. No-one was at the table so they went over and parked themselves on the chairs. A lady came into the room and one of them asked for beers all round. It was then they realised that it was actually someone's house and not a bar!

Theres a boozer at the lakes-Windermere with all stuffed animals everywhere and cups etc hanging from the ceiling, very strange but good in its own way.

At least a couple of those in London. One also has prams, instruments and kettles hanging from the ceiling.

One of these is Fogg's Tavern in Covent Garden. Haven't been for a few years but it was a good boozer when I last went. In my opinion, I think that area of London and close-by is the best area for drinking n this country. Highly recommended for London away games if staying over in the capital.

Tommy Ducks' ceiling decoration & The Britons Protection clientele certainly had memorable character back in the 80s. Pre Hacienda refreshments at the latter often accompanied by a curious blend of LGTB & Militant Tendency with its trimly moustachioed proprietor & friends pulling pints for Derek Hatton & comrades.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.