Stupid little things that bug you

Thinking about it, we, the Brits, discovered, conquered, pillaged and owned most of the world and seeing as over half the worlds population speaks English we therefore have the right to call these places what we dammed well want.
I can never figure out why BBC news readers will some times pronounce foreign place names and persons in a local accent and other times not.
For example. they do their best to say Macron as Frenchy as possible but no flowery Italian for Berlusconi.
Kiev is Keeev, but Paris is not Pareee.

I can never figure out why BBC news readers will some times pronounce foreign place names and persons in a local accent and other times not.
For example. they do their best to say Macron as Frenchy as possible but no flowery Italian for Berlusconi.
Kiev is Keeev, but Paris is not Pareee.
What annoys me is that the uk media have always pronnounced Obama's first name wrong , we all saw him standing there taking his oath and saying his own name , the media call him an army barrack instead of his proper name, it is not even complicated , grrrr

Before you get all het up think history. It wasn't pissed up aristocrats or politicians but merchant's, sailors and explorers. A white man lands in China and is told by a local the town in called Bejing. Bearing in mind ol' whitey doesn't speak Cantonese, by the time he's told the ships captain who takes 6 months to sail home before he can tell someone where he got all the silk from, by then in his memory its Peking.
The same happened with Mumbai.
i'm not falling for the chinese whispers theory, it doesn't hold water.

the merchants and explorers you speak of were highly intelligent and literate people who not only made maps and charts but also kept diaries.
they would have been meticulous and constantly correcting any previous mistakes.
they didn't just pass on a place-name to the ship's captain who then forgot how to pronounce it over time.

and anyway, what about all the name changes of our european neighbours? it didn't take months to sail back from Deutchsland and misremember it somehow as Germany.

also, if, as you suggest, it was based on pronunciation then why don't we spell Paris as Parree?

no, i'm not having that, not at all.
there's a lot more to this than meets the eye...

some tossers did this on purpose one evening and i want to know who they were and i want to know what their reasons were.

i'm not falling for the chinese whispers theory, it doesn't hold water.

the merchants and explorers you speak of were highly intelligent and literate people who not only made maps and charts but also kept diaries.
they would have been meticulous and constantly correcting any previous mistakes.
they didn't just pass on a place-name to the ship's captain who then forgot how to pronounce it over time.

and anyway, what about all the name changes of our european neighbours? it didn't take months to sail back from Deutchsland and misremember it somehow as Germany.

also, if, as you suggest, it was based on pronunciation then why don't we spell Paris as Parree?

no, i'm not having that, not at all.
there's a lot more to this than meets the eye...

some tossers did this on purpose one evening and i want to know who they were and i want to know what their reasons were.
Yep fair do's you've caught me out. It was actually 7.39pm Wednesday, 18th of February 1862.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.