Stupid little things that bug you

Toasters. Why don't they make the slots slightly bigger, so standard sized bread slices actually fit in without have to turn them around halfway through? What's the fcking point in them?
Pain in the fucking arse. The wife buys rye bread that needs to be cut in half to go in the toaster.
A 4 slice toaster does 2 slices of bread ffs.

the seemingly arbitrary changes made to some foreign place-names...

who decided to do it?
when?
and why?
was it one individual who did it?
or was it some pissed up aristocrats or politicians one evening who got out a map of the world and randomly selected some cities or countries they didn't like the name of?

"Brasil! fuck that, let's change it to Brazil."
"Roma! fuck that, let's change it to Rome."
"Wien! fuck that, let's change it to Vienna"

frankly, it does my head in and makes no sense at all.

A self cleaning nozzle on a tube of Gorilla wood glue.....15 minutes to try and get it to flow and bearing in mind I have a garage full of shite so know my way round a ' tube of glue '. Seriously considering taking it back and making myself look a twat on the trade counter of our local builders merchant when all of a sudden and for some unexplained reason out came the glue, job done, on the shelf for another 7 years.

who decided to do it?
when?
and why?
or was it some pissed up aristocrats or politicians one evening who got out a map of the world and randomly selected some cities or countries they didn't like the name of?

Some twats justifying their wages in the various government departments, usually in an windowless office at the end of the corridor, 3rd on the right. Quite probably single and living at home with their mum.

who decided to do it?
when?
and why?

Before you get all het up think history. It wasn't pissed up aristocrats or politicians but merchant's, sailors and explorers. A white man lands in China and is told by a local the town in called Bejing. Bearing in mind ol' whitey doesn't speak Cantonese, by the time he's told the ships captain who takes 6 months to sail home before he can tell someone where he got all the silk from, by then in his memory its Peking.
The same happened with Mumbai.

who decided to do it?
when?
and why?

Thinking about it, we, the Brits, discovered, conquered, pillaged and owned most of the world and seeing as over half the worlds population speaks English we therefore have the right to call these places what we dammed well want.

Before you get all het up think history. It wasn't pissed up aristocrats or politicians but merchant's, sailors and explorers. A white man lands in China and is told by a local the town in called Bejing. Bearing in mind ol' whitey doesn't speak Cantonese, by the time he's told the ships captain who takes 6 months to sail home before he can tell someone where he got all the silk from, by then in his memory its Peking.
The same happened with Mumbai.
This explains some differences but what about Constantinople - Istanbul or Slaithwaite - Slowit.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.