Suella Braverman - sacked as Home Secretary (p394)

Feeling it may be wasted on you
I have used it to buy you a new colouring in book and some crayons.

Although I feel that will be wasted on you.

Shills for RW populist measures are strange people,
Unfortunately, it has left me rather pessimistic about the future of our species.

In terms of evolutionary psychology, we still think tribalistically. Our responses tend to be emotive, pre-rational and are more or less instantaneous. Any rationality that is brought to the situation tends to be post-hoc, deployed to justify our gut feelings when it comes to matters of politics, ethics and aesthetics in order to justify them.

As Jonathan Haidt has noted, right-wing populists are adept at tapping in to those tribalistic, divisive sentiments and exploiting them, more so than those on the Left. They are better at making us turn on each other.

Meanwhile, the problems we face (climate change, nuclear proliferation, migrancy, the inherent instability of the world economy etc.) require an acknowledgement of our global interdependency that is just not going to happen with this primitive mentality that we have inherited from our ancestors.
I am also pessimistic about the future.

The emotive and I would prefer Irrational approach to politics today makes me fearful. I was reading today that Yuval Noah Harari's superb books are in some quarters seen as the blueprint for the domination of the WEF that would lead us into a proto communist reality of 15 minute cities, cashless societies and social credits. Having read his books my mind boggles at how they have come to that conclusion.

Haidt was spot on in his conclusion, the right are and have always been far more adept at populist rhetoric that divides and rules. In the USA Macarthy was superb at demonising the left, the reds under the bed for instance worked to such an extent that Bernie Sanders is seen as a Communist, it has also worked here where Corbyn has also been traduced as having Marxist tendencies. As a result anything left of Capitalism is seen as inherently bad, I wonder who that suits! Certainly not the working class.

And as you rightly say Zen, the real problems we face as a global community are being debased by what I consider to be Nationalistic fervour and a fear of difference. You are far more qualified than me to deliver posts as you do, but please carry on as I find them fascinating, challenging to my own beliefs and desperately needed on this forum.

Thanks

No surprise it’s come to this with Gaz.
Based upon the woke nature of the BBC I’m surprised they didn’t react quicker.
Anyway, time for a Jermane Jesus or Alex Scott to take over MOTD to run it into the ground like Football Focus.
I’m sure Lineker will be busier on BT or even appearing on SKY or Amazon where he will be a great asset
What does "woke" mean?

If they believe his populist pronouncements then Yes. Look, Lineker is a social media influencer who aims to please his followers (virtually calling the tories Nazis seems to have given those followers a big hard on, no?) but if he talks utter garbage then he needs calling out otherwise people would believe him and that is dangerous. Is there a bit of truth in what he says, yes, but there is a little bit of truth in what covid vaccine deniers believe, or climate deniers believe. Basically there is not enough truth in what he says to merit the saying. It's manipulation.
But he didn’t. And he didn’t say what he said to imply that either. He is a bright bloke! He spoke about the kind of language used - invasion, overwhelm, millions - the kind of language used to tap into fear, the kind used to control and influence behaviour. That language should always be identified and called out and to not do so means we haven’t learnt from the past and I’m not just talking about the 1930s. Problem is that is what the Tories sell and has kept them in power for so long. The Tories and their mates - Murdoch, Harmsworth, Barclay Bros - know that and that’s why they are piling on someone who is well liked (trusted) by the ‘ordinary’ person/voter. That scares the Tories.

And by the way there is absolutely fuck all truth in what anthropogenic climate change deniers believe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.