Suella Braverman - sacked as Home Secretary (p394)

Many people are complaining about the return of Suella Braverman to the Home Office this week, but would they have preferred the alternative: Boris Johnson back into Number 10?

It is obvious a deal has been done, back me (from Sunak to her) and I will get you your job back and that is what stopped Johnson getting the support he needed.

It wouldn't surprise me if they even concocted the plan when Truss was still the PM. Braverman made those 'technical errors' & resigned, but then her goodbye letter was possibly the final nail in the coffin for Truss who went herself I think, one day after.

P.S. and JFK was killed by one of the secret service guys in the car behind don't you know!

a deal was done but it was Sunak to Braverman " back me and bring your backers with you and you can get back in the cabinet" - in doing so he secured her votes and denied them to Johnson which signalled the death knell to his comeback

Fast tracked is the understatement of the year.
In your field (iirc) it would be the equivalent of a reception classroom assistant made head of Manchester Grammar after a month in the post.
Again, I am gobsmacked but also unsurprised.

Many people are complaining about the return of Suella Braverman to the Home Office this week, but would they have preferred the alternative: Boris Johnson back into Number 10?

It is obvious a deal has been done, back me (from Sunak to her) and I will get you your job back and that is what stopped Johnson getting the support he needed.

It wouldn't surprise me if they even concocted the plan when Truss was still the PM. Braverman made those 'technical errors' & resigned, but then her goodbye letter was possibly the final nail in the coffin for Truss who went herself I think, one day after.

P.S. and JFK was killed by one of the secret service guys in the car behind don't you know!
That was my original thought - that Braverman had concocted a minor misdemeanour which she could resign over to tip Truss over the edge. However since then it's become apparent that it was more serious than a minor misdemeanour and she wouldn't have owned up to it if she hadn't been found out by accidentally emailing it to someone who reported it.

The first part of your post is absolutely correct. From a position of weakness Sunak did the only thing he could to secure an uncontested nomination knowing that he'd lose a members vote, presumably making the judgment that the bad press was worth it and would be eventually forgotten about, and I reckon he hopes to shore up enough parliamentary support over the next few weeks that he can sack her without causing a rebellion by too many nutters on the right.

That was my original thought - that Braverman had concocted a minor misdemeanour which she could resign over to tip Truss over the edge. However since then it's become apparent that it was more serious than a minor misdemeanour and she wouldn't have owned up to it if she hadn't been found out by accidentally emailing it to someone who reported it.

The first part of your post is absolutely correct. From a position of weakness Sunak did the only thing he could to secure an uncontested nomination knowing that he'd lose a members vote, presumably making the judgment that the bad press was worth it and would be eventually forgotten about, and I reckon he hopes to shore up enough parliamentary support over the next few weeks that he can sack her without causing a rebellion by too many nutters on the right.
I thought this but can’t square that with why the ERG loons would put Sunak in if they could have reinstated their hero?

Yeah, Tory members apparently love Braverman.

Personally I’d just like a government with some honesty and integrity, obviously too much to ask with these cunts in charge though.

I think the bottom line is this - because opinion polls show Tories so far behind Labour and have so may difficult issues to deal with and an election must happen in the next 2 years(ish) he needed to really take a big risk - you know, like throwing on a youth team striker when you are 2:0 down with 10 minutes to go.

Braverman has spoken tough on the migration issue (and Rwanda which she dreams about being a success) and that is probably one thing that could get the red wall votes again - if she can make something happen - so far with Patel it was all talk and no action.

But will she ever get anywhere whilst even the civil servants oppose her and probably her views? “Almost as soon as Rishi Sunak reappointed Mrs Braverman as Home Secretary, the civil service was letting it be known that there were “concerns” about whether she could be trusted with sensitive information. Simon Case, the Cabinet Secretary and head of the Civil Service, was “livid” about her (re)appointment, sources said.

One MP who backed Mrs Braverman’s summer leadership bid has said: “The attacks on Suella are evidence of the fact that she stands for a position that the Left can’t tolerate but which they can’t oppose directly either, because they know that the voters they need to win are on her side. So they are attacking her personally as a proxy for their ideological objection to the idea of lower immigration. They know that she speaks for the mainstream opinion in this country....”

I think the bottom line is this - because opinion polls show Tories so far behind Labour and have so may difficult issues to deal with and an election must happen in the next 2 years(ish) he needed to really take a big risk - you know, like throwing on a youth team striker when you are 2:0 down with 10 minutes to go.

Braverman has spoken tough on the migration issue (and Rwanda which she dreams about being a success) and that is probably one thing that could get the red wall votes again - if she can make something happen - so far with Patel it was all talk and no action.

But will she ever get anywhere whilst even the civil servants oppose her and probably her views? “Almost as soon as Rishi Sunak reappointed Mrs Braverman as Home Secretary, the civil service was letting it be known that there were “concerns” about whether she could be trusted with sensitive information. Simon Case, the Cabinet Secretary and head of the Civil Service, was “livid” about her (re)appointment, sources said.

One MP who backed Mrs Braverman’s summer leadership bid has said: “The attacks on Suella are evidence of the fact that she stands for a position that the Left can’t tolerate but which they can’t oppose directly either, because they know that the voters they need to win are on her side. So they are attacking her personally as a proxy for their ideological objection to the idea of lower immigration. They know that she speaks for the mainstream opinion in this country....”
If mainstream opinion in this country is represented by a bigoted simpleton like Braverman then we're all fucked.

If mainstream opinion in this country is represented by a bigoted simpleton like Braverman then we're all fucked.

The point I was trying to make - well one of two actually - the other being the Left can't really speak against her (a bit like how they stay quiet on Brexit) is that if a Tory government is elected and if the PM appoints a Home Office minister who says they will do certain things. Who are the civil servants to oppose it/block it? We don't elect the civil servants do we?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.