Summer Transfers

Here is something that is bothering me from quite a few seasons. As a football club we have moved up quite a lot from 2008 but our transfers have been iffy from quite some time now where we are unable to unearth a diamond despite having an extensive scout system. I am talking about a 5 to 15 million player- We had Kompany and Zabaleta to boost of from previous years.
A player like Kante,Alphonso Davies Robertson Mahrez kind. Jesus and Sane can be counted as one of those but they were also some 30 mil kind of purchase. Even Academy kids sans Foden were disappointment .Expecting Braff to bring about that change after the Sancho saga. Is it how we set up as a team or our managers our our scouting departments or just sheer bad luck ?

Here is something that is bothering me from quite a few seasons. As a football club we have moved up quite a lot from 2008 but our transfers have been iffy from quite some time now where we are unable to unearth a diamond despite having an extensive scout system. I am talking about a 5 to 15 million player- We had Kompany and Zabaleta to boost of from previous years.
A player like Kante,Alphonso Davies Robertson Mahrez kind. Jesus and Sane can be counted as one of those but they were also some 30 mil kind of purchase. Even Academy kids sans Foden were disappointment .Expecting Braff to bring about that change after the Sancho saga. Is it how we set up as a team or our managers our our scouting departments or just sheer bad luck ?

I mean it's not entirely true, City are incredibly good at finding gems, the academy is full of untapped potential, but City also need players who can come right into the first team and have the level not drop at all. Mahrez/Kante when they first joined Leicester probably weren't there. Alphonso has only really broken out this year as a result of Bayern, not sure when he was in the MLS he'd have been much more than a pacy winger.

Jesus, Bernardo and Sane are gems who were first team level from the off. Don't really get your comments on Foden and Braaf. Foden is a quality player who's adapted and is now at first team level, Braaf looks full of potential but hasn't even gone on a pre season yet, he's only trained with the first team

I mean it's not entirely true, City are incredibly good at finding gems, the academy is full of untapped potential, but City also need players who can come right into the first team and have the level not drop at all. Mahrez/Kante when they first joined Leicester probably weren't there. Alphonso has only really broken out this year as a result of Bayern, not sure when he was in the MLS he'd have been much more than a pacy winger.

Jesus, Bernardo and Sane are gems who were first team level from the off. Don't really get your comments on Foden and Braaf. Foden is a quality player who's adapted and is now at first team level, Braaf looks full of potential but hasn't even gone on a pre season yet, he's only trained with the first team
The foden comment was to say that he is the only player who is absolute quality that we got on a cheap(Academy and a true blue). Why can't be more players like that. Hence i want braff to succeed in our team and not go the Sancho way/
Talking about Jesus and Bernardo or Sane, all three of them were doing great before we came to the picture. Sane tore Real Madrid a new one in UCL,
B.Silva ran rings around our team in UCL and won the league with Monaco. My comment was more focussed on players like Maddison moving from Norwich to Leicester or Robertson from Hull to Liverpool. Hence the Alponso davies example where he moved from an unknown to an absolute best.

But more importantly i meant the defence. We have spent some fortune on our defence but it still crumbles on a little pressure. I just hope we could make a solid backline without spending some 300 millions.
Also to avoid the confusion i have already stated my definition of bargain is the range 5-15 million player transfer price if such a situation still remains in the hyper inflated market of football

The foden comment was to say that he is the only player who is absolute quality that we got on a cheap(Academy and a true blue). Why can't be more players like that. Hence i want braff to succeed in our team and not go the Sancho way/
Talking about Jesus and Bernardo or Sane, all three of them were doing great before we came to the picture. Sane tore Real Madrid a new one in UCL,
B.Silva ran rings around our team in UCL and won the league with Monaco. My comment was more focussed on players like Maddison moving from Norwich to Leicester or Robertson from Hull to Liverpool. Hence the Alponso davies example where he moved from an unknown to an absolute best.

But more importantly i meant the defence. We have spent some fortune on our defence but it still crumbles on a little pressure. I just hope we could make a solid backline without spending some 300 millions.
Also to avoid the confusion i have already stated my definition of bargain is the range 5-15 million player transfer price if such a situation still remains in the hyper inflated market of football

There's loads of great youngsters in the academy... Braaf, Morgan Rogers,Liam Delap, Cole Palmer. Lots of potential there.
And Yeah they might have been known but they're still gems we secured for a good price. I see your point but as I said were those players better than what we had at the time? Robertson. Mendy was definitely considered miles better that summer in 2017 and it wasn't until 18/19 when Robertson properly emerged. Maddison. Better than Silva, KDB, Bernardo, Foden, Gundo in 2018? No.

And on the defence, I agree, hopefully we can find some good deals but we have to consider are they good enough for the first time when they're signing for other teams. I'm not sure theres that many defenders under 15m who are improvements on what we have.

There's loads of great youngsters in the academy... Braaf, Morgan Rogers,Liam Delap, Cole Palmer. Lots of potential there.
And Yeah they might have been known but they're still gems we secured for a good price. I see your point but as I said were those players better than what we had at the time? Robertson. Mendy was definitely considered miles better that summer in 2017 and it wasn't until 18/19 when Robertson properly emerged. Maddison. Better than Silva, KDB, Bernardo, Foden, Gundo in 2018? No.

And on the defence, I agree, hopefully we can find some good deals but we have to consider are they good enough for the first time when they're signing for other teams. I'm not sure theres that many defenders under 15m who are improvements on what we have.

i get where you are coming from and ofcourse we paid a really good price for B. Silva or Sane or Jesus.
My main concern is - a failed Mangala at 10 mil is better than a failed mangala at 40 mil.
Same for Mendy. A 11 million( what robertson was for ) for Mendy would not pinch but 52 million deal would.
But i guess that's how the market is.
Here's hoping for Yan Couto to be our right back for next 10 years.
Bargain!

He's not Andy Robertson, but we did buy Zinchenko for 2m from a team that most people have never heard of and he's been a very decent player for us. There are examples here and there.

These Lautaro-Semedo-Cancelo swap rumors are so stupid. Inter's decided that the player they want in part exchange for Lautaro is our second choice right back, and instead of just doing that deal ourselves we're going to facilitate Barcelona getting him? Sure thing.

I've never ever understood this 3 way swap deal. It's well known we've got interest in Lautaro yet we're just gonna switch RBs to make it easier for Barcelona to get Lautaro? Biggest load of bull I've heard today... and I watched that government press conference earlier

3 ways are always disappointing. Doesn't look like City really want to be involved and should just leave Barca and Inter to it. It will only end in tears.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.