Sunday trading

bellbuzzer said:
essential services do not have a chance to " keep sunday special"

those who oppose it are not content to not shop on sundays themselves, they want to impose their will on those who believe it is a relic of an age long gone, when going to church was socially compulsory,
The hilarious notion that families need sunday bonding is pitifully desperate. It is also undemocratic, like having unelected bishops in the house of lords.
Again if you believe shops should be shut on sundays, then dont shop, but spare the rest of us the preaching.

I think generally speaking there are two different agenda's for protecting what remains of the Sunday trading laws. There's the religious argument which I have no opinion on really. Then there's those that are looking to protect workers from what was always a guarenteed day off.

I think it's a bullshit argument to say, the emergency services have to work Sundays so everyone else should have to. I have mixed views on it. I've always worked in industries that require shift work and I'm happy to volunteer to work Sundays, as I am doing this very minute for time and three quarters. But more and more industries are taking advantage of people's desperation for work and doing away with enhanced payments for Sundays. As well as night rates, bank holiday enhancements etc. This I do have a problem with as it is inevitably the shittest jobs with the shittest pay that are losing the few bonuses they did have.

As someone else pointed out when the argument first took place and shops were allowed to open reduced hours, all the big business' were full of promises that no one would be forced to work and enhanced rates would be paid. This has slowly been forgotten about. I was desperate for any sort of work a few years and took a short term job working permanent nights, five shifts a week, Thursday to Monday at a large supermarket. The people I were working with were earning double what I was as they had contracts that pre dated what they were able to put new starters on. Which was basically flat time, all the time.

I think the abolishment of restrictions are inevitable but I'm happy for the unions and other interested parties to try and ensure the workers get as fair a deal out of it as possible.

Wanted some jelly babies for the cinema this morning, there was queues at the tills at 10:50 in the tesco opposite Parrs Wood cineworld. Seemed ridiculous to me that people couldn't pay for their stuff just because it was a Sunday.

Yaya_Tony said:
Wanted some jelly babies for the cinema this morning, there was queues at the tills at 10:50 in the tesco opposite Parrs Wood cineworld. Seemed ridiculous to me that people couldn't pay for their stuff just because it was a Sunday.

Life is indeed harsh

hilts said:
Yaya_Tony said:

Life is indeed harsh
I know. I let my daughter choose the drinks, and she chose apple juice. Not vimto, beer or iron brew, but apple juice ffs.

Yaya_Tony said:
hilts said:
Yaya_Tony said:

Life is indeed harsh
I know. I let my daughter choose the drinks, and she chose apple juice. Not vimto, beer or iron brew, but apple juice ffs.

bloody kids i believe you're not allowed to lock them in a cupboard anymore either, bloody esther ranzen

Sunday trading laws are bollocks and outdated.

Given the amount of people now required to work unhealthy amounts of hours along with shift workers it doesnt make sense to restrict ourselves.

It was far better and made life much easier last year with the extra freedom.

FantasyIreland said:
Sunday trading laws are bollocks and outdated.

Given the amount of people now required to work unhealthy amounts of hours along with shift workers it doesnt make sense to restrict ourselves.

It was far better and made life much easier last year with the extra freedom.

So to make life easier for those who work shifts and unhealthy amounts of hours you want people in shops to do the same?

More bank holidays, no working on sunday except emergency services and the leisure Industry who by law get double time and a day off in the week, minimum of five weeks holiday plus bank holidays by law

tidyman said:
bellbuzzer said:
essential services do not have a chance to " keep sunday special"

those who oppose it are not content to not shop on sundays themselves, they want to impose their will on those who believe it is a relic of an age long gone, when going to church was socially compulsory,
The hilarious notion that families need sunday bonding is pitifully desperate. It is also undemocratic, like having unelected bishops in the house of lords.
Again if you believe shops should be shut on sundays, then dont shop, but spare the rest of us the preaching.

I think generally speaking there are two different agenda's for protecting what remains of the Sunday trading laws. There's the religious argument which I have no opinion on really. Then there's those that are looking to protect workers from what was always a guarenteed day off.

I think it's a bullshit argument to say, the emergency services have to work Sundays so everyone else should have to. I have mixed views on it. I've always worked in industries that require shift work and I'm happy to volunteer to work Sundays, as I am doing this very minute for time and three quarters. But more and more industries are taking advantage of people's desperation for work and doing away with enhanced payments for Sundays. As well as night rates, bank holiday enhancements etc. This I do have a problem with as it is inevitably the shittest jobs with the shittest pay that are losing the few bonuses they did have.

As someone else pointed out when the argument first took place and shops were allowed to open reduced hours, all the big business' were full of promises that no one would be forced to work and enhanced rates would be paid. This has slowly been forgotten about. I was desperate for any sort of work a few years and took a short term job working permanent nights, five shifts a week, Thursday to Monday at a large supermarket. The people I were working with were earning double what I was as they had contracts that pre dated what they were able to put new starters on. Which was basically flat time, all the time.

I think the abolishment of restrictions are inevitable but I'm happy for the unions and other interested parties to try and ensure the workers get as fair a deal out of it as possible.

worker exploitation, led by the multinationals, is not what fuels the loud protests of the church. Workers t's and c's have been constantly degraded since the 80's and the destruction of the unions
Pure greed and a totally biased media versus a cowed and apathetic workforce, only one winner.

hilts said:
So to make life easier for those who work shifts and unhealthy amounts of hours you want people in shops to do the same?

More bank holidays, no working on sunday except emergency services and the leisure Industry who by law get double time and a day off in the week, minimum of five weeks holiday plus bank holidays by law

Would it not create more working hours and flexibility for those in need of employment?

Emergency services do not get double time unless its OT,if it falls on a shift then they get a day back holiday - whoppeee.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.