Sunday trading

stony said:
Chrisja1000 said:
After the laws being relaxed last year for the Olympics, isn't it time to change Sunday opening to whatever time stores want? It's seen outdated and old fashioned still to have 5pm closing for the bigger stores.

No, in fact I'm all for bringing back the old trading laws and letting people actually have a day off and not end up working on a Sunday for single time.

totally agree. I work sundays through choice as in the more I open the more I take. its ashame but in the present climate I have no option.

I NEVER force my staff to come in though.

de niro said:
stony said:
Chrisja1000 said:
After the laws being relaxed last year for the Olympics, isn't it time to change Sunday opening to whatever time stores want? It's seen outdated and old fashioned still to have 5pm closing for the bigger stores.

No, in fact I'm all for bringing back the old trading laws and letting people actually have a day off and not end up working on a Sunday for single time.

totally agree. I work sundays through choice as in the more I open the more I take. its ashame but in the present climate I have no option.

I NEVER force my staff to come in though.
Absolute respect to you for that pal.

I'd love this to go to the vote, with a secret stipulation that only those that voted for the change would have to work Sundays.

FantasyIreland said:
hilts said:
So to make life easier for those who work shifts and unhealthy amounts of hours you want people in shops to do the same?

More bank holidays, no working on sunday except emergency services and the leisure Industry who by law get double time and a day off in the week, minimum of five weeks holiday plus bank holidays by law

Would it not create more working hours and flexibility for those in need of employment?

Emergency services do not get double time unless its OT,if it falls on a shift then they get a day back holiday - whoppeee.....

double times was for the leisure industry not emergency services, we have spent decades chasing the dream of a more affluent society, be flexible they say work more and you will get your rewards

we are one of the strongest economies in the world, our population in comparison is small we should be doing very well we aren't

are we any happier no, give people a break i say

could people buy bread on a saturday? yes would Tesco go out of business if it closed on a sunday and gave it's workers an extra weeks holiday? no would wetherspoons go bust if it paid it's bar staff double time on sunday? no

would people be just a little bit more happy yes

Having been in Berlin for the last two weeks I can safely say its a bit boring without at least something being open for some amount of time on Sundays!

Dr.Faustus said:
Having been in Berlin for the last two weeks I can safely say its a bit boring without at least something being open for some amount of time on Sundays!

possibly but shops?

ste1969 said:
I don't see the problem with longer hours on sundays, and it can be only a good thing for local shops.

Depending on your defination of a local shop, they probably aren't restricted now. Certainly your corner shop with only a couple of people working at a time can open what ever hours they want. Off the top of my head, having six workers or more at a time, might be where the laws kick in. But there are loads of exceptions like places near train stations for example.

Sunday Trading Act 1994. Taken from the Keep Sunday Special website:

Under the provisions of the Sunday Trading Act 1994 larger shops - ie, retail businesses with a floor area of over 280 sq meters (3,014 sq feet) - have restricted Sunday opening hours of no more than six hours between the hours of 10.00 to 18.00; smaller shops - ie, retail businesses with a floor area of less than 280 sq meters (3,014 sq feet) - can open all day. Some large businesses are exempt - eg, pharmacies, motorway service areas, restaurants, hairdressers and other businesses providing services.

mancitymick said:
Sunday is a day of rest. Over here in Belgium it is how it used to be in the UK - Everywhere is closed, Bliss

the way it still should be imo

give the staff a break ffs

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.