Sunday's NOTW re Stadium expansion ...

bellwhaft

By Neil Ashton
Follow me on Twitter
MANCHESTER CITY have risked infuriating rivals United by pinching the World Cup semi-final from Old Trafford in 2018.

City chief executive Garry Cook outlined his amazing proposal while he schmoozed FIFA delegates during their 2018 visit.

Despite denials from City officials last year, the club are planning to increase stadium capacity to 75,000.

They have already commissioned the world's leading architect Rafael Vinoly - who is behind the regeneration project at Battersea Power Station in London - to design their new super-stadium.

City are committed to the regeneration project at Eastlands and have already started work on nearly 70 acres of land around the site - and they plan to make an official announcement about their World Cup plans in November.

Cook made his move during a dinner with FIFA delegates at Manchester Town Hall.

He outlined his plans for the stadium redevelopment project and is convinced City can see off the threat of United's rival bid.

England's 2018 World Cup team are aware of City's stadium proposals and have responded positively to the idea.

If England win right to host the World Cup, FIFA will nominate the semi-final venues in 2013 - giving City plenty of time to bring their stadium up to scratch.

The City chief has also curried favour with England's 2018 bid team by promising his full support for the project.

England's 2018 team have been impressed with City's vision and will let them fight it out with United for the semi-final.

United are convinced FIFA will nominate their 76,000 capacity cathedral as one of the semi-final stadiums if England host the World Cup.

United hosted the Champions League final in 2003, but it is under threat as the city's iconic stadium from neighbours City.

The city council have already agreed to push the metro link out to Eastlands, but this is just the start of a regeneration project that could take five years to complete.

What people fail to realise if that OT will have a capacity reduction of about 10,000 in order to comply with FIFA requirements.

If it's in the News of the Screws, I'll wait till I hear it from a different source before I believe it, thankyou.

oakiecokie said:
fbloke said:
What people fail to realise if that OT will have a capacity reduction of about 10,000 in order to comply with FIFA requirements.

Sorry fbloke,NITK about this,so could we/I please have further info ??

It was covered in the LV thread a while back but in essence OT just isn't up to the modern requirements.

There is a need for a large strip around the pitch for camera's, warm-up, medical teams and other sundry uses. To accomodate that they would have to remove quite a few blocks of seating and even then there are other needs to live up to the FIFA needs.

Thats why most world cups build new stadiums for the semi's and final as a minimum.

I will try and dig it out for you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.