Sunderland In League One. / Netflix documentary (P9)

Always liked the Mackem's

By far the most decent of all the clubs up there in the NE...…….. by a country mile actually! Remember talking to their fans in The Beehive before a game that they had to win to stave off relegation or something, I had some sympathy of course but wanted us to win desperately as we had a chance to finish above The Shite, all of which they totally understood as they said they would feel the same about finishing above the Barcodes..... Decent sound lads all of them who had no hassles whatsoever in The Beehive, which spoke volumes for the respect they had!

Now second after winning on the longest trip in English football this season; it’s 403 miles each way to Plymouth and back.

They’re on 35 points, three behind Pompey and two ahead of Posh, but with a better goal-difference than either.

I bet @Stockport mackem is a very happy man.

Going quite nicely at the minute...cleared out most of the deadwood, and started again...although it is League one, it's nice to have the winning feeling

By far the most decent of all the clubs up there in the NE...…….. by a country mile actually! Remember talking to their fans in The Beehive before a game that they had to win to stave off relegation or something, I had some sympathy of course but wanted us to win desperately as we had a chance to finish above The Shite, all of which they totally understood as they said they would feel the same about finishing above the Barcodes..... Decent sound lads all of them who had no hassles whatsoever in The Beehive, which spoke volumes for the respect they had!

I and many thousand others travelled down for this one.....great game, beat us 3-2..Niall Quinn scored twice, and Peter Reid was your manager.....8 years later they were both with us.
City fans bought us drinks all night.....

A lot of Sunderland swarmed round Maine rd that day.tremendous support for a side going down,filled Platt Lane.they witnessed one of the best headed goals ive ever seen ..Marco Gabbiadini with a diving header after a lightning quick Sunderland counter attack ,wide player ran down the left wing ,in front of the Kippax, cross,Gabbiadini diving header in front of a stand packed with Mackems.
Great atmosphere that day..and we won to finish above utd.City were a tough rugged team in those days...no nonsense. Mackem fans were everywhere and in good spirits despite relegation being almost inevitable

Just had a look at the u tube vid for 11th May 1991 match....Martin Tyler commentary...
When Quinn scores the opener the roar is incredible and fans are still celebrating a good 3 mins after the goal is scored.its so diff to modern football
The Kippax was chaotic that day,buzzing all match as i remember..

Platt Lane is bouncing with Mackems,the roar is ,if anything,louder than Citys when Gabbiadini and Gary Bennett score...there were prob 8k away fans around the ground that day
Gabbiadini should have had a penalty after skilfully slipping past the onrushing Margetson who catches him ...
Great game ,great commentary, great atmosphere.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.