Sunderland need a draw to help us win PL

This isn't Steve Bruce's Sunderland, this is Martin O'Neil's, and if you think he'll accept anything less than 100% effort you're mistaken. Personally I don't expect O'Shea or Brown to play any part of the United game, both are/will be injured, which is their normal state.

CtidBlueMooner said:
Given that O Neill played for us, I would hope he'd have a preference to help us out if at all possible.

this.Hopefully most of the ex reds will be rested for this game.

We take it on goal difference, the goal difference of being +5 (would be very fitting)[/quote]

it was plus 10.We won by 5,they lost by 5.

LongsightM13 said:
Sunderland could hypothetically line up with a back four of Richardson, O'Shea, Brown and Bardsley.
Are you honestly trying to tell me that they are going to try their hardest if doing so would hand the title to City? Pffft. You are the one who's unbelievable if you think that

Difficult trying to tell anybody anything when they're convinced the world's against them but, yes, if that hypothetical back 4 lined up I would expect them to try their hardest, for several reasons.

Firstly, they are PROFESSIONAL sportsmen who get extremely well paid to try and win football matches.

Also, to have spent any time at Utd under Ferguson they must've displayed a winning mentality - not something you can switch on or off.

Two of them (Bardsley & Richardson) were deemed not good enough for Utd by Ferguson, I'm sure they try to take every opportunity to show him he was wrong.

They were all brought to Sunderland by the previous manager so are effectively playing for their futures at the club. Also remember the character of their manager - Martin O'Neill would never tolerate any lack of effort or desire from a player.

It's all too easy to think that players would react in theses types of situations, in the same way that we would as fans. I remember me n all my mates being convinced Blackburn would win the title in 95, no matter what Utd did, because Liverpool players wouldn't be trying their hardest if it meant Utd win the league. Despite "having nothing to play for" Liverpool beat Blackburn (who still won the title as Utd only drew at West Ham).

Doubt we'll ever know for sure as, even if it went to last game of the season, that back 4 wouldn't play (Wes Brown has a cruciate injury for one) but I still think you're wrong to question the integrity of players .

Everton will roll over and have belly tickled.
Swansea best chance for a draw imo.
Sunderland have started summer holidays early.

It's down to wheter we can win all 4 games specially Rags and Newcastle.

BlueJord said:
My best mate is the 1st team sports scientist/nutritionist at the scum and all their players (Rio, shrek and evans) have all been seriously talking about o'shea, bardsley and brown all throwing it if it was needed.

Sounds about right for them twats!!!!

Coughbullshitcough ...

I think a Sunderland draw will be the big decider tbh....... Problem is i think it was our game v the f*ckers which has finished it. I believe we'll beat rags but think we'll both win the rest of our games. We'd fall 2 pts short but our goal difference will be much better. Shit happens I guess. We'll do it next year. Still only 3 and 1/2 years into this dream and we're still improving. However, how f***ing good would it be if we did pinch it this year?? If QPR stay up too, may'be the 2 gaffers can afford a bit of a hug too????? Sorry, being ridiculous now. Hughes would still be a bitter b4stard.

JM Mcr said:
GDM, I'm certainly not being disingenuous and don't think I'm being naive either (tho am feeling a tad patronised right now). If anything I would suggest that it is naive to think that teams who base their game on physicality would change that approach out if deference to another manager.

I would be happy to take you at your word about you not being disingenuous, but your subsequent comment has rendered that statement redundant in any event, as it seems to me that you are naive.

You clearly underestimate, or fail to appreciate, just how much influence a manager can have on the performance of his team not just by what he does, but also by what he doesn't do. Instead of telling Rodwell to do a 'job' on Rooney or Nani for ninety minutes, he could tell him to go out and 'express himself'. He can also set the collective tone of the team quite easily without falling into anything that looks overtly like cheating. All mangers choose their battles. It is not possible to motivate your players to the same extent in every game. To suggest otherwise is, dare I say, naive. The fact is that Moyes, at least to me, appears to reserve his blood and thunder games, where his players go all out to win and where they are fired up accordingly, for games against City and Liverpool, but not united.

Perhaps when he has a touchline argument with Ferguson or he looks like he's won the cup if his team ever gets round to beating united then I may feel different about this, but I'm not holding my breath.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.