Sunderland post match thread

No, I think if we were forced to defend deep he may struggle more or if teams played long balls over the top to expose his pace on the turn. But you are right he looks up for it-looked a leader, fitter, leaner and that is to his credit.
Ditto. Felt he struggled against Arsenal in the pre-season, albeit that was alongside Fernando. Had a decent match with little to do for me, good passion, good in the air, but won't be good enough against stronger teams - what happens to him when Kompany & Otamendi are fit is my question, backup left back, first choice left back, 4th choice CB, starting CB or sold? Still seems up in the air.

Ditto. Felt he struggled against Arsenal in the pre-season, albeit that was alongside Fernando. Had a decent match with little to do for me, good passion, good in the air, but won't be good enough against stronger teams - what happens to him when Kompany & Otamendi are fit is my question, backup left back, first choice left back, 4th choice CB, starting CB or sold? Still seems up in the air.
I would say guaranteed to stay-offers so many options. Pep clearly likes him and rates him. I've always felt Kolarov needs love and Pep's tendency to publicly praise players will boost his confidence like so many of the players.

If you really think Sterling is 50M player then you live in imaginary world, and Stones was at fault for goal cough cough...

That doesnt change the fact I want them to succeed here, and unlike most I dont slag our own players at every opportunity.

According to your logic we must blindly love every player we are linked with, yet its ok to call them different names when they are here (like Kolarov, Bony, Fernando, Hart etc)
What exactly is a 50M player these days? Thought Sterling played well regardless of the valuation placed on his head. Stones will not be happy about their goal but over all he looked sloid and composed

I saw nothing yesterday to dispel the notion that Pep is way ahead of the pack in terms of taking the game forward.

I adore possession football: I hate it when our opponents have the ball. I was also delighted though when Kolarov knew the best option was to clear the ball high and long forward.

Obviously possession has to have a purpose beyond keeping the ball away from the opposition but I do enjoy the weaving of pretty patterns as the team works its way into position for the next assault on the opposition's goal. The team does need to be creating more attempts on goal but I fear even if we top those charts, again, some are going to complain of boredom if we average 70% plus possession.
Generally a good all round display despite some rough edges. One criticism was the very poor level of shooting which hopefully will be addressed.

I would say guaranteed to stay-offers so many options. Pep clearly likes him and rates him. I've always felt Kolarov needs love and Pep's tendency to publicly praise players will boost his confidence like so many of the players.

Perhaps Kolorov enjoys the discipline that a manager like Pep brings, he was certainly better under firebrand Mancini than he was under the soppy old labrador which was Pellegrini.

if he can get a player like Kolorov to perform like that then he will do for me.

Generally a good all round display despite some rough edges. One criticism was the very poor level of shooting which hopefully will be addressed.

Absolutely. Awful & weak. One decent effort from Nolito which we will see go in once or twice this season I think.

With decent shooting power & accuracy & also taking the shots quicker we wouldn't have had a close game imo. But other than that I was delighted.

Perhaps Kolorov enjoys the discipline that a manager like Pep brings, he was certainly better under firebrand Mancini than he was under the soppy old labrador which was Pellegrini.

if he can get a player like Kolorov to perform like that then he will do for me.
Surley you mean bloodhound?

Kolorov was outstanding - hopefully not a one off.

:)

Oh I'm not ready to get carried away but given the disjointed preseason and current state of the squad, the performance on Saturday was, at worst, in line with my expectations so I am content with progress.

I anticipate some bumps in the road but I hope we don't hit one in Romania.

Can't see that but I think until November it will be a bit hit and miss. Sane and Gundogan will help when they come in. We could do with another signing for me.

Now that teams have actually witnessed this passing out from the back, they will be swarming all over us, waiting for that mistake that's let's face it is going to happen at some point with the current personnel. However if we can move the ball more quickly and pass more accurately then we should be able to catch some teams out once we bypass their swarm. Some of our passing was terrible on Saturday.

The main thing for me is that there is clearly a plan whereby for the last 2 years we just haven't had that in the majority of games, always relying on individual brilliance.

There was also much more team spirit evident which was good to see and we worked as hard as they did which again as not always been the case in the previous seasons.

Can't see that but I think until November it will be a bit hit and miss. Sane and Gundogan will help when they come in. We could do with another signing for me.

Now that teams have actually witnessed this passing out from the back, they will be swarming all over us, waiting for that mistake that's let's face it is going to happen at some point with the current personnel. However if we can move the ball more quickly and pass more accurately then we should be able to catch some teams out once we bypass their swarm. Some of our passing was terrible on Saturday.

The main thing for me is that there is clearly a plan whereby for the last 2 years we just haven't had that in the majority of games, always relying on individual brilliance.

There was also much more team spirit evident which was good to see and we worked as hard as they did which again as not always been the case in the previous seasons.
Guardiola doesn't mind playing long ball's at all:

(Goals 1 and 3)

If the need arises through a high press from the opposition, especially if they have a high defensive line, he'll just ask the team to go long.

On team spirit, he's said that is the first thing he's tried to build here because without that tactics don't matter

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.