Sunderland post match thread

What I saw yesterday was pretty much the same as last year... Score, keep possession, don't build on the goal, they score, panic stations to score again.

Kept possession well, worked hard,but frustration at not scoring the 2nd.

Tactics with the fullbacks was innovative, might be found out though if we use them regularly . I am sure they will be adapted.

It's work in progress. I do think Liverpool and the way they play is what we are aiming for but better... Let's see once we face one of the top six teams, then can get a better idea of the steel in the team.

Sergio seemed to be playing a more deeper central role,when he's adjusted to it with the likes of Sane beside him the goals will soon be going in.
I think part of the reason behind this was because Sagna and Clichy are fairly weak with the ball (not a knock, but they are) and at times found themselves with central attacking responsibilities (when the drifted in field). With more technically proficient full backs, i think Aguero can hold his position a little bit more, and maybe even look to run beyond the backline without waiting for the ball to go through Silva or De Bruyne. Ideally, the full backs would be Fernandinho and maybe even Delph, although i would personally prefer an upgrade on Delph.

A lot of it yesterday was a bit like Pep by numbers, players moving into positions and tactics that are just hugely different to what they and we are used to. Add lack of fitness for several and absence of some players in the mix and that is why we didn't steamroller Sunderland.

Give it a few weeks and we will rip teams apart.

Just had the chance to watch the match. Thought we looked good first half, in control of the match for the vast majority just looked rusty in the final third.

Clearly a work in progress but nice to see a plan & some tactical flexibility in the side.

Sterling the stand out attacker by some distance, great to see him look so confident. Stones composed, Clichy comfortable in the role he's been asked to do, Fernandinho his usual impressive self. Aguero and De Bruyne a bit off the pace, Sagna less comfortable than Clichy.

Seen a lot of praise for Kolarov, but I'm not sure if that's more from the very low expectation; he was solid enough (which is far better than I expected!) but for me he's still not got a place in this side - had very little to do, would not be happy to see him face up against a stronger team.

Very nice 3 points, little fortunate to get it but were clearly the better team. Throw Otamendi, Gundogan & Sane in the mix, along with KdB & Aguero up to speed and you'd like to think we look pretty solid.

Still expecting many ups & downs this season, transitional getting used to new players, new manager & much new tactics - but have hope that if we can get through these first 3 PL matches with 7+ points, and get through our CL qualifier we can have a successful season.

Seen a lot of praise for Kolarov, but I'm not sure if that's more from the very low expectation; he was solid enough (which is far better than I expected!) but for me he's still not got a place in this side - had very little to do, would not be happy to see him face up against a stronger team.

A tough crowd. Kolarov was magnificent-watch it again. Every header, brilliant passing, inspired and committed.

A lot of it yesterday was a bit like Pep by numbers, players moving into positions and tactics that are just hugely different to what they and we are used to. Add lack of fitness for several and absence of some players in the mix and that is why we didn't steamroller Sunderland.

Give it a few weeks and we will rip teams apart

I actually think (assuming we don't mess it up or pick up injuries) the qualifying games could be a good thing for City. Pre season didn't run smoothly in China and the Sunderland match showed that the players are understandably still getting to grips with the new way of playing. The players need game time and Pep needs to see them in match situations. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly.

A tough crowd. Kolarov was magnificent-watch it again. Every header, brilliant passing, inspired and committed.
Just didn't see it, solid, won his headers well, passing was good enough but not brilliant - a few loose ones, but under no pressure at all almost. If he can put that performance in against say Arsenal or team of that level I'll be delighted, but I'm not convinced he'd cope, do you think he would?

You're right about the committed part though, was supposed to put that in my post actually - loved when we got the winner how he held the huddle & called players over to join in. Think he has the passion to be a good leader amongst the players - I just don't think he has the ability and sometimes lacks the work ethic to find a place in our team with any regularity.

Just didn't see it, solid, won his headers well, passing was good enough but not brilliant - a few loose ones, but under no pressure at all almost. If he can put that performance in against say Arsenal or team of that level I'll be delighted, but I'm not convinced he'd cope, do you think he would?

You're right about the committed part though, was supposed to put that in my post actually - loved when we got the winner how he held the huddle & called players over to join in. Think he has the passion to be a good leader amongst the players - I just don't think he has the ability and sometimes lacks the work ethic to find a place in our team with any regularity.
No, I think if we were forced to defend deep he may struggle more or if teams played long balls over the top to expose his pace on the turn. But you are right he looks up for it-looked a leader, fitter, leaner and that is to his credit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.