Sunderland post match thread

Is Gundogan changing squad number,thought he was given 16?
My lad noticed in the programme on Saturday that he didn't have a number next to his name.

Rewatching the match has left me overall really content with what we were able to achieve tactically in so little time. KDB really struggled to get into the match whereas Silva was able to get on the ball a lot. I probably would have expected the opposite but one of my biggest concerns is probably how uncomfortable Sagna looked in his role. He's only been back at training a short period so there's time for him to adjust but I think a lot of KDB's struggles can be attributed to Sagna's inability to play a meaningful part in a build up along the right. I suspect we'll see Zaba tomorrow if we play with the same tactics because he looked far more comfortable doing the job. Clichy was active and moved the ball. I thought he played well. One thing I'd love to know but I suspect is impossible to know is whether KDB followed his instructions strictly or whether Silva had the right of the movement he was supposed to make. Silva drifted wide a lot, which sort of crowded out Nolito's space a bit, but opened up for him to receive the pass. I know that Guardiola generally wants his players in certain position on the pitch and I'd simply love to know if David was in the positions he wanted him in or if he was taking some license. Either way, it was needed and effective and I thought David was very good. Would just help me understand the intent of the system better.

Stones was complete class and steadied things so much in back. The only other concern I had aside from Sagna/KDB interchange above was our complete inability to get Aguero involved. Sunderland played a real 4-2-xx formation so the positions Aguero was in were always going to be seriously overcrowded. It may be that his job was just to occupy those people as much as possible and he did a good job of it, it's impossible to know. But he looked like a player who needed a partner to bring him into the game and that's just not going to work with the way we are trying to play. Kelechi coming on immediately gave them more men to mark and seemed to open up the box a bit, counter-intuitively.

Full credit to Sterling who was a menace to them. It was so nice seeing him dribbling at people and not waiting for an overlapping fullback who was never going to come anyway. It makes me drool for the prospect of Sane on the other wing running at people as well. When we know there is going to be space we are going to be able to really cause some havoc with their outside speed.

Guardiola doesn't mind playing long ball's at all:

(Goals 1 and 3)

If the need arises through a high press from the opposition, especially if they have a high defensive line, he'll just ask the team to go long.

On team spirit, he's said that is the first thing he's tried to build here because without that tactics don't matter

Its not that he asks the team to go long, if you give Boateng or Hummels for that matter, time on the the ball they can pick out those types of passes. Not many CB's in the world can do that. Stones might be one of them.

Anyone seen the Premier league grades by Dean Ashton? Sorry if its been posted but he's said we didn't deserve to win. Forgot if you defend all game and hardly have a shot on goal you deserve to win. Sky Sports win at quality Punditry again!

Anyone seen the Premier league grades by Dean Ashton? Sorry if its been posted but he's said we didn't deserve to win. Forgot if you defend all game and hardly have a shot on goal you deserve to win. Sky Sports win at quality Punditry again!

Yep seems you can have up to 80% possession have more shots on goal that the opposition and dont deserve to win a game!

Rewatching the match has left me overall really content with what we were able to achieve tactically in so little time. KDB really struggled to get into the match whereas Silva was able to get on the ball a lot. I probably would have expected the opposite but one of my biggest concerns is probably how uncomfortable Sagna looked in his role. He's only been back at training a short period so there's time for him to adjust but I think a lot of KDB's struggles can be attributed to Sagna's inability to play a meaningful part in a build up along the right. I suspect we'll see Zaba tomorrow if we play with the same tactics because he looked far more comfortable doing the job. Clichy was active and moved the ball. I thought he played well. One thing I'd love to know but I suspect is impossible to know is whether KDB followed his instructions strictly or whether Silva had the right of the movement he was supposed to make. Silva drifted wide a lot, which sort of crowded out Nolito's space a bit, but opened up for him to receive the pass. I know that Guardiola generally wants his players in certain position on the pitch and I'd simply love to know if David was in the positions he wanted him in or if he was taking some license. Either way, it was needed and effective and I thought David was very good. Would just help me understand the intent of the system better.

Stones was complete class and steadied things so much in back. The only other concern I had aside from Sagna/KDB interchange above was our complete inability to get Aguero involved. Sunderland played a real 4-2-xx formation so the positions Aguero was in were always going to be seriously overcrowded. It may be that his job was just to occupy those people as much as possible and he did a good job of it, it's impossible to know. But he looked like a player who needed a partner to bring him into the game and that's just not going to work with the way we are trying to play. Kelechi coming on immediately gave them more men to mark and seemed to open up the box a bit, counter-intuitively.

Full credit to Sterling who was a menace to them. It was so nice seeing him dribbling at people and not waiting for an overlapping fullback who was never going to come anyway. It makes me drool for the prospect of Sane on the other wing running at people as well. When we know there is going to be space we are going to be able to really cause some havoc with their outside speed.
I sit in ESL1 and all first half I noticed Silva kept telling Nolito to get wider, must have told him five times. It was as if Silva had been told to drift into a semi-wide left area at times and Nolito was actually in the way and he should have hugged the touch line more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.