Surreal Moments at City Games

So it was, I must have had Fri off to empty my bank acc on 'The Height' The ground was in Headington way out of Oxford. Taxi to ground and back to the station. Won 5-2 with goals from Law x 2 Summerbee x 2 and 1 from Marsh. Was it you and that mob scrapping in their end?
This was either 84 or 85 so I don't recall Law, Summerbee or Marsh scoring!

Edit just seen the post above!

3-2 to City vs Sunderland last game of season. (90/91 I think)
Sunda went 2-1 up and needed to win to stay up.
I've never heard noisier away fans than them that day.
Unbelievable atmosphere

Fulham 5 City 0 in 1985.

4 -0 at half time. Behind the away end, a kids game is taking place with proud parents watching on the touchline.
City fans force their way out of the ground at half time and invade the kids game, getting the ball and having a kickabout while worried parents grab their kids.
Those of us still inside the ground cheering them on, willing to see a goal. Then the police turn up amd its a bit Keystone Cops as they try and round all the Blues up and throw them back in the ground.

Pretty sure it was the Boat Race that day too and Oxford sank (if it wasn't Oxford then my guess it was Cambridge)

Fulham 5 City 0 in 1985.

4 -0 at half time. Behind the away end, a kids game is taking place with proud parents watching on the touchline.
City fans force their way out of the ground at half time and invade the kids game, getting the ball and having a kickabout while worried parents grab their kids.
Those of us still inside the ground cheering them on, willing to see a goal. Then the police turn up amd its a bit Keystone Cops as they try and round all the Blues up and throw them back in the ground.

Pretty sure it was the Boat Race that day too and Oxford sank (if it wasn't Oxford then my guess it was Cambridge)
It was and IIRC it was 0-0 until the 35th minute or so when Mick McCarthy hammered in an OG from about 20 yards out

Against Chelsea at home last season a crow flew into the wall between the 2nd and 3rd tier of the south stand and landed on the deck. Pretty sure it was the same one that fell off a lamppost at the parade.

Surreal moments at city games?
Step forward a certain Mr Alan Wilkie who was probably the only person in the ground who knew why he awarded a penalty to the rags in a FA cup 5th round game at old trafford in 1996,
Certainly the weirdest thing I have seen in a football ground until last sunday when Mr Simon Hooper decided to join in the fun with his very odd behaviour?
The rags were just as baffled as we were.

I was there in the away end in January 2008 when a lad on the second tier at Bramall Lane let a load of balloons off as City and Sheffield United came out for the FA Cup 3rd round under Sven. And rather than pop them, like any sensible person would have done, Richard Dunne, Michael Ball, a young Joe Hart, etc. just let them drift around the City penalty area until Sheffield United scored two goals directly as a result of our lads not knowing the difference between a ball and a balloon and knocked us out of the cup.

Also, a home game against Hull around 2008, 2009. Down by the right corner flag where the Colin Bell Stand meets the South Stand, a City player and a Hull player - who I think was Paul McShane - went into a tackle and McShane ended up on the floor. Instead of just getting up like a normal person he decided to try catapulting himself off the floor by (sort of) body-popping? He just flipped into the air and slammed back down on his front. He got a load of sarcastic cheers from the City fans who couldn't believe what they'd just seen.

Not the only one who remembers:

The rules say extraneous objects should be removed immediately and play restarted with a dropped ball. City asked for this to be done but were refused.

I was there for that Norman Wisdom game. He looked half decent with the ball to be fair.

Also remember the Nail Quin Penalty save. That was a bit surreal. I fact there have been quite a few surreal goalkeeper moments - Andy Dibble 'losing control' of the ball, David James coming on as a striker, Joe Hart running the full length of the pitch to save a shot after going up for a corner. Probably loads that I've missed.
Can’t remember the game but Harry Dowd injured his shoulder but stayed on playing up front. He scored.

Can’t remember the game but Harry Dowd injured his shoulder but stayed on playing up front. He scored.
It was at home to Bury on 8th Feb '64. Before the days of subs, Harry ended up being injured and replaced in goal by an outfield player, and then instructed to stay on and make a nuisance of himself up front. He only went and scored, it ended 1-1.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.