Sven

I thought Sven was ace. That first game against west ham when no one knew what to expect with a lot of signings people didn't really know about and we went out and went for it, with a decent assist from our Ned if I remember right?

It was an exciting time all of a sudden, playing good football with a Brazilian international in Elano, and exciting players like Petrov and Geovanni. Michael Johnsons broke through, we did the double over united and the win at Trafford was a bit of a masterclass considering the tools available to him.

Going off the posts in this thread I've obviously forgotten a lot of the shitter stuff about his season with us! But it was pretty exciting on the whole for me looking back

Everything about him as a coach for us and the way we played, was distinctly average to be quite honest. At times good, at times awful, most of the time bang in the middle of both.

Conceded more than we scored, won only 39% of our games and were closer to being relegated than getting into the Top4. We were too slow in the way we played and defensively our tactics were often poor.

Didn’t get anywhere of note in either cup competition and in the final 22 league games we won just 5. At least one of those was our first win at Old Trafford in my life.

But he made a few good signings who did well individually now and again and Ireland and Johnson were exciting prospects.

Despite those singings though, we weren’t really any better than the 2005-06 season under under Pearce. Where Fowler was a kick of the ball in the other corner away from getting us into Europe.
Pearce took over from Keegan in March 05 and we missed out on Europe, Pearce did a decent job for last months
2005/06 which was Pearce's first full season saw us do ok good start then out of cup on penalties at Doncaster but once we got to FA Cup QF v West Ham and were beaten we lost every remaining game that season apart from a win at Villa.

He was a damn good man and manager. Seemed to click with us instantly.

Knew what was required, knew we needed to spend to match the Red Tops, but was hampered by a corrupt owner whose expectations were astronomical and ridiculously unrealistic.

The first City manager in decades to achieve a Derby Double over those wankers, and the first manager in years to give us a sense of hope, pride and a semblance that we were a sleeping giant. All respects to him.

In truth, for me I can't say too much stands out about that season under Sven.
Think we were pretty decent in the first half of the season but not so good after Chrimbo.
The 8:1loss at the smog monsters was pretty embarrassing. On the other side of the coin our first win at The Swamp for bloody ages was great and for that reason alone (I feel) deserves to be up there with some of the best derby victories of recent times.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.