Swindon Town 1965 Crowd 8015 Were you there ?

I too was present at the scoreboard end with my dad.

This got me thinking of other players from back then.

Anybody remember Clive Colbridge, Jackie Plenderlieth, George Hannah, Bobby Kennedy.

Memory fading, but love for City will never die.

pei manc said:
I too was present at the scoreboard end with my dad.

This got me thinking of other players from back then.

Anybody remember Clive Colbridge, Jackie Plenderlieth, George Hannah, Bobby Kennedy.

Memory fading, but love for City will never die.

George Hannah was a brilliant footballer but past his best when he signed for City. He played and scored for Newcastle when they beat City in the 1955 Cup Final. He was gone by the time of the Swindon match.

Bobby Kennedy came from Kilmarnock for £45,000 in 1961 which was a huge sum in those days. He never really found a regular place in his preferred position of wing half and played many of his 250 games for Ciy at full back.

Jackie Plenderleith came from Hibernian in 1960 and failed to establish himself at centre half before moving to South Africa.

was there at scoreboard with my uncle pete, george and albert what a gang - I sat on the bars -they moved away to cuss and shout so I did not hear them - heard plenty where I was though:).
I recall Vic Gomersall , Cliff Sear, Bill Lievers, dave bacuzzi what a hooter! - john clay had a nice football brain - I loved it but not half as much as now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was there but missed the Middlesboro one with flu.

Now, was anyone else at the City Ginger Group meeting at the Lesser Free Trade Hall which got the Alexanders to see the light (and appoint Mercer)?

Vic said:

Now, was anyone else at the City Ginger Group meeting at the Lesser Free Trade Hall which got the Alexanders to see the light (and appoint Mercer)?

I was there.

It was called 'Forward City'. The group organizing the meeting included Manchester Labour Councillor Chris Muir. The group subsequently claimed that they were near to taking over City. It never happened and wasn't needed.

The directors had earlier suggested that players would have to be sold and indeed they started this by selling David Wagstaffe to Wolves over Christmas 1964.

For me the turnaround began with the signing of Johnny Crossan just after the Swindon match. This was followed by Mercer, Allison, Summerbee, Heslop, Bell, Lee, etc.

I was there at the lowest home attendance and at a cup match earlier again against Swindon which we lost 2-1 I think? Think Buzzer played in both those against us.

JGL07 said:
Vic said:

I was there.

It was called 'Forward City'. The group organizing the meeting included Manchester Labour Councillor Chris Muir. The group subsequently claimed that they were near to taking over City. It never happened and wasn't needed.

The directors had earlier suggested that players would have to be sold and indeed they started this by selling David Wagstaffe to Wolves over Christmas 1964.

For me the turnaround began with the signing of Johnny Crossan just after the Swindon match. This was followed by Mercer, Allison, Summerbee, Heslop, Bell, Lee, etc.

Chris Muir and And Ian Niven (snr) IIRC

I remember the Waggy non-appearance. No media story, he just wasn't in the team, and only later did we find out he'd gone to Wolves!

Vic said:
Chris Muir and And Ian Niven (snr) IIRC

I remember the Waggy non-appearance. No media story, he just wasn't in the team, and only later did we find out he'd gone to Wolves!

Now I recall Ian Niven.

I was at Molineaux that day to see Wagstaffe unveiled. I was sick!

He was a great signing for Wolves at £30,000. They had 12 years service and 324 league appearances from him.

Image the 1967-68 championship team with Wagstaffe at number 11 instead of Coleman. That would have been some forward line: Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young and Wagstaffe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.