SWP doesn't deserve a new contract

I think Shauny has had a good season, certainly in terms of productivity he is up there at the top of the assist charts. He's been slagged off a lot on here, but then again, who hasnt?

Didnt do himself any favours yesterday though. Dont understand why stuff like his contract situation has to go 'public', someone on 80k looking for 100k (or whatever the fuck it is) is hardly going to get any sympathy from those of us who take 2 or 3 (or 4 ;) years to earn that kind of money.

The lad should concentrate on doing the business on the pitch, and tell his cock of a Dad to keep his fucking trap shut.

missi.t said:
How very sad, and how very bitter. Makes me wonder what we are becoming. The nightmare has well and truely started, we have fans with rag mentality.

How is it sad and bitter, are people not real fans now because we have a bit of ambition? Trust me I remember all the bad times, I was there for 'em, but the fact of the matter is, SWP isn't upto the standard where we want to go. For me, he should be 2nd choice behind Johnson

I will try not to be too abrasive with regards Wright-Phillips.

In another thread, I regarded him as dog shit.

To elaborate on a more rational level. He does not have it anymore.

He lost his peak years at Chelsea. Some of our fans look at his age, believing that peak is yet to come.

It isn't.

The manner of his game is such, the physical downturn cannot be offset by an abundance of technique and skills, say for example, a Giggs.

Various shortcomings have been mentioned on many a thread, but the recent sage over his contract issue, seals it for me.

Of course he would sign a contract tomorrow, akin to an undeserved financial comfort blanket, full in the knowledge he can sit back and wait for City to pay him off, as our own progression makes him virtually redundant.

The truly top players can back up their pay packets (admittedly there are scores who can't)

He should consider himself very lucky that another club, one he is supposed to have great love for, came for him when they did.

Apart from United, Arsenal and Liverpool, there is not another club in the Premier League who would have agreed to the £60k a week he got from us.

We rescued him from obscurity TWICE - now he thinks we owe him.

Spurs awaits...

we are the east stand said:
Regardless of how he is playing, doesnt he have 2 and a half years left on his current one?, why doesnt he just get his head down and try and get city to 4th and get a place in the world cup squad.......ffs moaning about 60k a week, we would do anything to play for city and would do it for free!

Because he's far too busy worrying about what others are earning, it seems.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
I will try not to be too abrasive with regards Wright-Phillips.

In another thread, I regarded him as dog shit.

To elaborate on a more rational level. He does not have it anymore.

He lost his peak years at Chelsea. Some of our fans look at his age, believing that peak is yet to come.

It isn't.

The manner of his game is such, the physical downturn cannot be offset by an abundance of technique and skills, say for example, a Giggs.

Various shortcomings have been mentioned on many a thread, but the recent sage over his contract issue, seals it for me.

Of course he would sign a contract tomorrow, akin to an undeserved financial comfort blanket, full in the knowledge he can sit back and wait for City to pay him off, as our own progression makes him virtually redundant.

The truly top players can back up their pay packets (admittedly there are scores who can't)

He should consider himself very lucky that another club, one he is supposed to have great love for, came for him when they did.

Apart from United, Arsenal and Liverpool, there is not another club in the Premier League who would have agreed to the £60k a week he got from us.

We rescued him from obscurity TWICE - now he thinks we owe him.

Spurs awaits...

Agreed, those barren years spent on Chelsea's bench were to his detriment. I've always had a lot of time for Shaun, he was the one shining light at the club at one stage but quite simply he has regressed as a player.
His control is abominable, seems to not be as quick as before and his distribution leaves a lot to be desired.
Coupled with this, I don't think he has much footballing intelligence. He seems to constantly take the wrong option, running down blind alleys has been a favourite this year. It's a real pity but he's not the player we sold to Chelsea, not near.

does he deserve a new contract?No ,he has gone downhill and is already on a BIG money contract he is just being TOO greedy the only thing he should get is a place on that bench as AJ shits all over SWP

S.E.H said:
missi.t said:
How very sad, and how very bitter. Makes me wonder what we are becoming. The nightmare has well and truely started, we have fans with rag mentality.

How is it sad and bitter, are people not real fans now because we have a bit of ambition? Trust me I remember all the bad times, I was there for 'em, but the fact of the matter is, SWP isn't upto the standard where we want to go. For me, he should be 2nd choice behind Johnson

What I find sad and bitter, is that we all wanted him back, he was treated like the prodical son.Now he is being rubbished.
Maybe he is not the player that we all once loved, but he has always given us his all.

SWP is a player who is currently playing it smart in regards to his football.

His forte for years has been to charge into players, beat his man and try to get towards the goal. He doesn't do this as much any more so people presume that he is dogshit.

I see a player that is adapting his game as he realises that his pace is starting to go. SWP even more so than Bellamy is the most defensive minded winger we have, I've lost count of the amount of times that he fills in at RB, or drops in to the centre to press an opponent whereas Johnson has that enthusiasm of youth and stays wide (not that there is anything wrong with that).

With Richards bombing forward, SWP is old enough and clever enough to realise that he would be better served dropping in behind than trying to charge forward himself. This also is due to his declining pace. His problem is that when he was younger and was an unknown, he used to beat his man purely on pace, with very little ball control, not unlike Lennon does now. This is probably why he is running into blind alleys man times now, as he is out of ideas on how to beat his man.

Now the positives; there are several things that he still does well. He works hard for the team, he is turning into an intelligent player, he is good in a tackle, he is quite adept at keeping the ball away from opponents, his short passing is pretty good as is his vision for a pass, he can still strike a ball pretty well.

SWP has filled in in the centre mid role a few times this season under Hughes, and he did pretty well there. Despite his size, he does have the physicality for it. I'd definitely give him a go there in this current team, as he has the ability to break well, but not enough to do it on his own, as you would need a winger to do. Can't be any worse than Stevie has played.

Anyway, I highly doubt that he will turn in to a good enough centre mid for us, but will do well at a lower level. This is the way that he needs to go, if he wishes his career to continue. Unfortunately, he seems to be content to get one last pay-day out of us and then retire at 32. Shame really.

Damocles said:
SWP is a player who is currently playing it smart in regards to his football.

His forte for years has been to charge into players, beat his man and try to get towards the goal. He doesn't do this as much any more so people presume that he is dogshit.

I see a player that is adapting his game as he realises that his pace is starting to go. SWP even more so than Bellamy is the most defensive minded winger we have, I've lost count of the amount of times that he fills in at RB, or drops in to the centre to press an opponent whereas Johnson has that enthusiasm of youth and stays wide (not that there is anything wrong with that).

With Richards bombing forward, SWP is old enough and clever enough to realise that he would be better served dropping in behind than trying to charge forward himself. This also is due to his declining pace. His problem is that when he was younger and was an unknown, he used to beat his man purely on pace, with very little ball control, not unlike Lennon does now. This is probably why he is running into blind alleys man times now, as he is out of ideas on how to beat his man.

Now the positives; there are several things that he still does well. He works hard for the team, he is turning into an intelligent player, he is good in a tackle, he is quite adept at keeping the ball away from opponents, his short passing is pretty good as is his vision for a pass, he can still strike a ball pretty well.

SWP has filled in in the centre mid role a few times this season under Hughes, and he did pretty well there. Despite his size, he does have the physicality for it. I'd definitely give him a go there in this current team, as he has the ability to break well, but not enough to do it on his own, as you would need a winger to do. Can't be any worse than Stevie has played.

Anyway, I highly doubt that he will turn in to a good enough centre mid for us, but will do well at a lower level. This is the way that he needs to go, if he wishes his career to continue. Unfortunately, he seems to be content to get one last pay-day out of us and then retire at 32. Shame really.

Can't help but agree with this conclusion.

What I found is that now he a clear inability to get past people, although he does have a role as a defensive midfielder it's not a very good one.

Obviously Mancini recognises that Johnson will only go forward, hence he took Richards off. But the fact that Richards was are greatest attacking threat down the right before AJ came on proves that SWP is not good enough... at least for the City of today.

This is ridiculous the amount of stick SWP is getting. A few have mentioned, his assists and goals speak for themselves, plus both Chelsea games he was fantastic.

I wish there was some way to get across to the melodramatic, reactionary babies on here that bad games, and dips in form happen.

I wasn't happy with the first half performance either, particularly SWP. But my frustration at one match doesn't erase my recollection of his past performances, goal/ assist to game ratio, or his international performances. How can you condemn him after one match.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.