Tactical analysis & discussion season 2022-23

The concept of playing Bernardo is as a false fullback is a interesting one. I get what pep is trying to do with that especially when we have possession it allows us to have extra men in the midfield and overload the opponent. but it has serious issues when we are defending and bernardo has to act like a actual leftback. In games like yesterday when we had less than 40% of the ball it was the big issue and let us conceding chances. so he has to pick and choose when to use against which opponent. In games when we have 70% of the ball this will be a good option. but if he is intent on playing bernardo, then why not instruct rodri to move into CB when we defend rather than asking bernardo to stay as a LB? will make much more sense.

The concept of playing Bernardo is as a false fullback is a interesting one. I get what pep is trying to do with that especially when we have possession it allows us to have extra men in the midfield and overload the opponent. but it has serious issues when we are defending and bernardo has to act like a actual leftback. In games like yesterday when we had less than 40% of the ball it was the big issue and let us conceding chances. so he has to pick and choose when to use against which opponent. In games when we have 70% of the ball this will be a good option. but if he is intent on playing bernardo, then why not instruct rodri to move into CB when we defend rather than asking bernardo to stay as a LB? will make much more sense.
Pep knows the risks of how he plays but he thinks the overall benefits outweigh the risks. He also mitigates risks by trying to keep the ball (that failed against Arsenal). The way Ederson plays, the high line, the false full back all create risk and cause the odd goal (this season a little more for some reason) but overall the reason why we win league titles. He tried to play Rico but Rico has much to learn, Bernado is probably the best we had in the false full back role.

Pep knows the risks of how he plays but he thinks the overall benefits outweigh the risks. He also mitigates risks by trying to keep the ball (that failed against Arsenal). The way Ederson plays, the high line, the false full back all create risk and cause the odd goal (this season a little more for some reason) but overall the reason why we win league titles. He tried to play Rico but Rico has much to learn, Bernado is probably the best we had in the false full back role.
Pep needs to start coaching 'the tackles' then.
Poor Bernie was in the wrong body position more than once yesterday.

Pep needs to start coaching 'the tackles' then.
Poor Bernie was in the wrong body position more than once yesterday.
exactly. it will make more sense to have a natural defender like Rodri in the back line rather than bernardo, then have ake move out wide and defend against saka. then rodri can move up into midfield when we have possession.

Pep is not interested in tackling that is just another risk he accepts. We are not going to change how Pep sets the team up. He sets up to win not to trying not to lose.

I am not debating keeping silva in the team as a false midfielder. I am questioning the concept of asking him to play like a natural defender in the back line when we don't have the ball. will make more sense to let Rodri move into the CB position and occupy the defensive line instead.

I am not debating keeping silva in the team as a false midfielder. I am questioning the concept of asking him to play like a natural defender in the back line when we don't have the ball. will make more sense to let Rodri move into the CB position and occupy the defensive line instead.
Good idea but don't you think that really over complicates it. I fully expect to Pep give this tactic a run out on Friday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.