Tactical analysis & discussion season 2022-23

We‘ve obviously got a big problem at fullback, but feels like we are (or Pep is) stuck halfway on it, leaving us with notional fullbacks who are asked to flit between different roles (FB and centre half, or FB and centre mid / no. 6).

Be better to just commit, one way or another e.g.

——————————-Ederson———-
——Walker/Stones—Dias—-Laporte/Ake——-
———————-Rodri—-Bernardo——
Mahrez—--De Bruyne—Foden———Grealish
——————-————Haaland—————-

Could be Gundogan or Phillips for Bernardo, Gundogan could also play further forward, e.g. with Foden moving wide either side. Might concede a few, but at least we might get back to creating the odd chance.

Or with orthodox fullbacks:

——————-Ederson—————
Walker—Stones/Dias/Laporte—-Ake
———————-Rodri———
———-De Bruyne—Bernardo
Mahrez——-Haaland——-Foden

Either way, feels like we‘d benefit from things being simplified/streamlined at the moment, rather than having a host of players in hybrid positions.

Villa tactics were interesting!

At some points we were playing a 1-3-2-3-1 formation

Dias/Akanji as deepest defender
Walker - Rodri or Silva - Laporte as second deepest line
Gundogan - Silva or Rodri roaming wherever they wanted
Mahrez - KdB - Grealish as an Attacking Midfield - but often with Gundogan joining them
Haaland/Alverez as lone striker

Other times it was
3-2-4-1

Walker - Dias/Akanji - Laporte
Rodri-Silva - but both dropping back into centre back positions when required
Mahrez - Gundogan - KdB - Grealish
Haaland/Alverez

I note that MOTD's graphic put Silva at Left Back - but that was the one bit of the pitch he was rarely to be found in.

The 1-3-2-3-1
worked best in the first half as Dias is so secure on his own. That tackle after Walker's wayward pass summed it up. I think Akanji would prefer not to be so exposed.
It also made best use of Haaland's ability to lead the attack - Alverez looks more effective playing a bit deeper.

As ever with Pep, the system relies on players who are intelligent and can slot into a number of roles. It creates fluidity and overloads which are so difficult to defend against - but risks being caught short at the back. Their goal came because Silva lost the ball and Akanji was left exposed 1 on 1 - it is the risk Pep takes for the reward of winning most games and I love the way he leave everyone scratching their head about just which tactics he is using today - it must play havoc with the oppositions preparations.

On Wednesday, we need to put all our cards on the table, run them up the flagpole, and kick the ball until the fat lady/with a beard/non-binary sings.
See; it's a simple game.

Can we just hoof it forward occasionally to the most lethal striker in footballing history?

There's sophisticated tactical analysis for you.

Ironically many said Haaland was the wrong striker for the wrong team and he would fail to fit in an would disrupt out possession-bssed high pressing game.

The first few games proved those naysayers wrong and they all decided the KDB - Haaland partnership was a match made in heaven. But these past several games have seen us playing just how the skeptical suggested we might. It's absolutely criminal how little people are passing the ball to him, and now he's having to come deeper and deeper to get it. We have arguably the best player in the planet and won't give him the fucking ball in space. It's doing my head in.

Can we just hoof it forward occasionally to the most lethal striker in footballing history?
second goal was that - as was his clattering of/by the goalkeeper. It's all about picking the right moment to do it.

second goal was that - as was his clattering of/by the goalkeeper. It's all about picking the right moment to do it.
I appreciate that, I am not blind. My comment was not to be taken literally, merely a reflection that we are not doing it enough. I commented in the Wolves game there were several chances where KDB could have passed to Haaland who was in space and running through on goal and he just didn't. It's been happening for a while.

Was going to post this in the No-one's passing to Haaland thread. But since that thread is inexplicably locked, here will have to do. This sort of thing absolutely does my head in. 100% cast iron, certain goal if Gundo would only pass the ball 5 yards sideways. But no.

1676300134552.png

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.