Tactical analysis & discussion season 2022-23

We always had Fernandinho / Rodri to play out the ball to from the back and either of those would then distribute the ball forward to more creative midfielders that would stick the ball through the middle, out on the wings with overlapping full-backs or other creative solutions. Now it feels like Rodri has a huge gap behind and in front of him and that players around him go hiding. It's like no one wants the ball any longer. It's extremely dire and I can't fathom that we are 2nd and only 5 (potentially 8) points off the top, because my god, we've been horrible this season.

Also, what signals does it send to have 3 captains on the bench (Gundo, KDB, Dias (?)). Isn't Walker the 4th choice and he has supposedly been vocal and not happy recently. I just hope Pep is not turning into a megalomaniac that feels immune to criticism and put unhappy players on the bench just to prove a point.

them two weren't on the frigging
pitch when we give their soft goal away today.
true that was Rodri. bet he was also looking leggy in the middle. but need to remember he was outnumbered there. we had only 2 men in the middle most of the time, Rodri and Rico while Spurs had a 4 or 5 man midfield at times.

It’s the style of play which is killing us. So slow and ponderous with no risk taking. We are now too easy to play against which was never the case. Teams can easily get set defensively and we are no longer able to pull them out of position with the ease with which we used to do. The winger/full back issue is very valid and a big contributory factor to this.

We always had Fernandinho / Rodri to play out the ball to from the back and either of those would then distribute the ball forward to more creative midfielders that would stick the ball through the middle, out on the wings with overlapping full-backs or other creative solutions. Now it feels like Rodri has a huge gap behind and in front of him and that players around him go hiding. It's like no one wants the ball any longer. It's extremely dire and I can't fathom that we are 2nd and only 5 (potentially 8) points off the top, because my god, we've been horrible this season.
I addressed this also above how our 8s are playing like 10s high up because our wingers are on the touchline holding width because we have no overlapping fullbacks. this cascades into Rodri getting isolated.

Fuck all threat from midfield. Kev doesn’t score, gundo never gets anywhere near goal this season, Bernardo I’m totally lost with and Rodri isn’t there to score. Mahrez has been pretty good this season and for anyone to even try and pull Grealish into the problem is way off the mark when today he was the only player in our whole team who looked like he gave a crap.

Reality is our midfield is broken. We have no drive, no goals, no creativity. Teams know this and Grealish and Mahrez have two three men every time they get the ball. Unless Kev finds some form, this season isn’t going to end well.

who's fault was that ?
well course it was pep. but he has no solution to the wide areas at the moment. best I can think of is playing Jack in the middle with foden out wide. to have some pace out wide and also let the fullback other side rico or walker to overlap and put bernardo or gundo next to rodri.

I always have and always will hate playing with inverted wingers… it just breeds congestions and players taking the extra touch… I understand why we are currently playing it - if you want to control the middle of the park but our current system leaves massive gaps in our fullback areas

Has anyone noticed how little this side presses nowadays - we don’t look like a pep side at all at the moment

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.