Tactical analysis & discussion season 2022-23

It starts at the back, not the wing. Our build up is slow and broken. The CBs who are playing aren’t getting the ball forward quickly and every team is standing off of them happy to let them play tika taka with each other. Rodri and Lewis being 5 yards apart passing back and forth is easy to defend with 10 behind the ball but we aren’t finding forward passes from them or the CBs.

Last edited:
I always have and always will hate playing with inverted wingers… it just breeds congestions and players taking the extra touch… I understand why we are currently playing it - if you want to control the middle of the park but our current system leaves massive gaps in our fullback areas

Has anyone noticed how little this side presses nowadays - we don’t look like a pep side at all at the moment
our middle of the park has lost all the energy. KDB and gundo have no legs. bernardo has no spirit. time to get some energy into the midfield next summer. preferably 2 midfielders.

It starts at the back, not the wing. Our build up is slow and broken. The CBs who are playing aren’t getting the ball forward quickly and every team is standing off of them happy to let them play tika taka with each other. Rodri and Lewis being 5 yards apart passing back and forth is easy to defend with 10 behind the ball but we aren’t finding forward passes from th or the CBs.
Agree with this stones and Laporte are much quicker at playing out from the back and put us on the front foot

well course it was pep. but he has no solution to the wide areas at the moment. best I can think of is playing Jack in the middle with foden out wide. to have some pace out wide and also let the fullback other side rico or walker to overlap and put bernardo or gundo next to rodri.
Im in work tomoz cocker
been.on the pop all day.
lets just agree the genius fked up.

Would it be fair to suggest that, the so so performances and drop off from usual standards began last season and not this?

I know it's accelerated somewhat, but signs were there in numerous games last season. That Everton away springs to mind, won 1-0 but the intensity was really poor and we created so little. That's just one example of a few performances which I thought were concerning. Ultimately they didn't matter last season and only the results were important - but now we are where we are today and we need to put our finger on where it began and why it began.

Losing games is fine (well, not fine but y'know), but the sheer lack of intensity, failure to dominate a game and failure to create much of note isn't what we've been used to with Pep. Prior to last season, if we lost games it tended to be defensive lapses and failure to take chances, sometimes several of them, in a given game. These days when we lose (or draw) it tends to be because we're not giving teams a proper go.

my big worry that these kind of tactical issues will be punished so much in CL and likely a lot lesser side will do that to us. I think another Monaco, Lyon , Spurs type of elimination is front of us.
if we have to face Napoli for example, on current form with the speed and press they play with, they would let Rodri have only half the time he had on the ball today and even that caused him playing an awful game.

and dont underestimate Leipzig either if we are not careful and be 100% for that tie or try to play rotated team vs them rather than the best 11 (well whats the best 11 these days for us, one of the main issue we have) than we could be in trouble.

Would it be fair to suggest that, the so so performances and drop off from usual standards began last season and not this?

I know it's accelerated somewhat, but signs were there in numerous games last season. That Everton away springs to mind, won 1-0 but the intensity was really poor and we created so little. That's just one example of a few performances which I thought were concerning. Ultimately they didn't matter last season and only the results were important - but now we are where we are today and we need to put our finger on where it began and why it began.

Losing games is fine (well, not fine but y'know), but the sheer lack of intensity, failure to dominate a game and failure to create much of note isn't what we've been used to with Pep. Prior to last season, if we lost games it tended to be defensive lapses and failure to take chances, sometimes several of them, in a given game. These days when we lose (or draw) it tends to be because we're not giving teams a proper go.
well if I remember correctly this started last season when sterling or jesus was getting benched. same happened in the Villa game we had no width and then sterling came on to give a cross. zinchenko also came on and played wide to stretch the pitch. safe to say teams have caught onto our setup and are now simply allowing our wingers to have the ball out wide and clogging up the box.

my big worry that these kind of tactical issues will be punished so much in CL and likely a lot lesser side will do that to us. I think another Monaco, Lyon , Spurs type of elimination is front of us.
if we have to face Napoli for example, on current form with the speed and press they play with, they would let Rodri have only half the time he had on the ball today and even that caused him playing an awful game.

and dont underestimate Leipzig either if we are not careful and be 100% for that tie or try to play rotated team vs them rather than the best 11 (well whats the best 11 these days for us, one of the main issue we have) than we could be in trouble.
Leipzig have very fast and intense players. I am dreading that game with the state of our midfield.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.