Talksport now (continued)

Re: Talksport now

shauns goat said:
Just listening to John Barnes on Brazils show, think he might be loosing the plot, Paranoia?

There's something not quite right with him. I couldn't work out what he was on about with regards to "raising out of blackness"

It did make me think how proud a city fan i am that in a few years time Viera maybe coaching our most successful side ever.

strongbowholic said:
mat said:
For a so called dipper Murray has plenty of excuses ready for the rags "United traditionally slow start"

wtf?
Part of the MO of the station, and media in general. Can't remember which day last week but heard Max Rushden on Talksport about not being allowed to upset various people/organisations as a media person. Was quite an interesting point/slip? If my memory was better and I had the time, I'd dig through and try and find the clip.

I heard that. Something along the lines of media outlets not questioning or being robust when interviewing managers/club reps that are known to ban reporters. They would rather have their soundbite than risk having no access to the clubs so don't ask awkward questions or rock the boat. He gave a couple of instances involving guests on SoccerAM where they had been briefed beforehand to not ask particular questions.

mat said:
shauns goat said:
Just listening to John Barnes on Brazils show, think he might be loosing the plot, Paranoia?

There's something not quite right with him. I couldn't work out what he was on about with regards to "raising out of blackness"

It did make me think how proud a city fan i am that in a few years time Viera maybe coaching our most successful side ever.

He'd still be rambling on now if he hadn't been cut off... Bloated bigot Brazil was dying to say something but stopped himself.

Plenty of wee Davey talk this morning though....continued with plastic scouser Murray having a wee suck....

lmjones1uk said:
Rag wankfest right now on TS
Had TS on from before 8 until just after 9. In that hour they must have spent 30 minutes talking about the rags and not more than 3 minutes about City.

mat said:
shauns goat said:

Barnes asked Brazil if he felt white, ''no Scottish'' replied Brazil, fuckin surreal interview that this morning

blue underpants said:
mat said:
shauns goat said:

Barnes asked Brazil if he felt white, ''no Scottish'' replied Brazil, fuckin surreal interview that this morning
I think I understood where he was coming from with that. Due to prejudices in society non-whites are sometimes(?) defined by others first by their colour then by their ethnicity with them as an individual coming in third. I think what he was getting that is with white people, no one is first defined by their skin colour. More often we are defined by either who we are as individuals or as Mancunians/Scousers/Geordies/Cockneys/Brummies etc.

However, I agree, it was surreal at times.

He mentioned about black players being in positions of trust back in the 70's/80's (no black goalies etc) and I immediately thought of Alex Williams as an example. It made me think about City as a club and while I can recall very unsavoury songs about Tottenham, I don't recall an "anti-black" person sentiment in my time 40 years a City fan. Think it may have had something to do with where Maine Road was?

Anyway, I'm rambling again; sorry.

strongbowholic said:
He mentioned about black players being in positions of trust back in the 70's/80's (no black goalies etc) and I immediately thought of Alex Williams as an example. It made me think about City as a club and while I can recall very unsavoury songs about Tottenham, I don't recall an "anti-black" person sentiment in my time 40 years a City fan. Think it may have had something to do with where Maine Road was?
Sorry Mr Bow but this is regrettably incorrect. I recall John Chiedoze being given a hard time by the Kippax in the early eighties. It was far less pronounced than elsewhere, especially Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool and (marginally) united, but it was still enough of a presence to leave an impression on me. The lower league backwaters were even worse iirc.

It doesn't get much lower than trying to suggest that someone is less than human, especially through the cowardly medium of the mob. What those early black players had to put up with is an absolute stain on the sport's history.

Personally, I don't get this whole arguement. There is that much money involved in football nowadays that surely it doesn't matter if you're black, white, or fucking purple. If you're good enough, you're good enough. No manager would turn down the chance of having the best players because of colour. As time progresses, more and more black people will be seen in coaching and managerial roles.The law of averages due to the vast number of black players demands it. Maybe Barnes has a bee in his bonnet because he turned out to be a shit manager, which says more about his ability, or lack of than it does colour.

Supporters however are a different kettle of fish altogether. We have to look no further than Italy, and of course at tonight's opponents for that.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
strongbowholic said:
Sorry Mr Bow but this is regrettably incorrect. I recall John Chiedoze being given a hard time by the Kippax in the early eighties. It was far less pronounced than elsewhere, especially Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool and (marginally) united, but it was still enough of a presence to leave an impression on me. The lower league backwaters were even worse iirc.

It doesn't get much lower than trying to suggest that someone is less than human, especially through the cowardly medium of the mob. What those early black players had to put up with is an absolute stain on the sport's history.
Agree totally. Wasn't aware of the John Chiedoze stuff so I stand (regrettably) corrected. At least we have certainly moved on immeasurably from then.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.