Teachers dispute settled?

sir baconface said:
mackenzie said:
sir baconface said:
Perhaps some have jobs and are actually scraping to make a living, let alone accrue a pension.

And maybe some have employers who don't indulge in people taking time off work.

But what the fuck?

Then make a stand and join a Union instead of bleating about others who exercise their employment rights.

It isn't rocket science this; stop castigating those who stick up for theirselves.

I'm having my say as a taxpayer/voter/consumer/forum member if it's all the same to you.

You have your say - your erudition and knowledge of what constitutes effective industrial action has given me a really good chuckle this evening. I love that line "as a taxpayer/consumer" written from the bowels of the Daily fucking Mail - how dare teachers not strike during holiday time, good grief, don't they realise that's the least effective option available? Let them know what it's like in the "real world" hey. So come on Sir, what's stopping you getting your teacher application in? Go on, you could milk the system like I do - 13 weeks a year hols; fucking A1 pension - piece of fucking piss.

Or do I detect a whiff, no matter how slight, of jealousy - go on admit it, you couldn't hack it could you? Eaten. Alive.

Tax payer. Voter. Comedian.

johnnytapia said:
sir baconface said:
mackenzie said:
Then make a stand and join a Union instead of bleating about others who exercise their employment rights.

It isn't rocket science this; stop castigating those who stick up for theirselves.

I'm having my say as a taxpayer/voter/consumer/forum member if it's all the same to you.

You have your say - your erudition and knowledge of what constitutes effective industrial action has given me a really good chuckle this evening. I love that line "as a taxpayer/consumer" written from the bowels of the Daily fucking Mail - how dare teachers not strike during holiday time, good grief, don't they realise that's the least effective option available? Let them know what it's like in the "real world" hey. So come on Sir, what's stopping you getting your teacher application in? Go on, you could milk the system like I do - 13 weeks a year hols; fucking A1 pension - piece of fucking piss.

Or do I detect a whiff, no matter how slight, of jealousy - go on admit it, you couldn't hack it could you? Eaten. Alive.

You assume plenty but know fuck all, cheeky chops.

sir baconface said:
johnnytapia said:
sir baconface said:

I assume nowt sweet cheeks. Mine is all knowledge and facts. You should try it sometime. But happy to see you've begun to descend from the peak you created with your original comments. Careful with that climbing down now - don't want you tripping up all over your own argument. You could end up in hospital - hope those pesky nurses aren't on strike; taxpayers have a right to be treated you know.

Anyway, back to my bottle of lovely red wine - paid for by you. Life's good innit?

johnnytapia said:
sir baconface said:
johnnytapia said:

I assume nowt sweet cheeks. Mine is all knowledge and facts. You should try it sometime. But happy to see you've begun to descend from the peak you created with your original comments. Careful with that climbing down now - don't want you tripping up all over your own argument. You could end up in hospital - hope those pesky nurses aren't on strike; taxpayers have a right to be treated you know.

Anyway, back to my bottle of lovely red wine - paid for by you. Life's good innit?
If you feel you've won the argument, why rub it in? Comes across a little, cuntish don't you think?

ps I've taught, it's dead easy. 45 kids in one class eating from the palm of my hand. Marking was just made up.

johnnytapia said:
sir baconface said:
johnnytapia said:

Cheers and pleased you can afford it. I was beginning to think my investment was wasted.

sir baconface said:
johnnytapia said:
sir baconface said:

Cheers and pleased you can afford it. I was beginning to think my investment was wasted.

You've invested well. In fact, you've paid for my fourth holiday this year - I was intending to spend the final fortnight of my annual six weeks' rest at home, but, upon closer inspection of my pay packet, I noticed, the good ol' public (that's you Sir!) had provided me with such a suitable stipend that I can now sun myself and imbibe once more at leisure (yours). 'Tis truly a great way to spend the summer - cheers to you and your investment - long may it continue.

johnnytapia said:
sir baconface said:
johnnytapia said:

You've invested well. In fact, you've paid for my fourth holiday this year - I was intending to spend the final fortnight of my annual six weeks' rest at home, but, upon closer inspection of my pay packet, I noticed, the good ol' public (that's you Sir!) had provided me with such a suitable stipend that I can now sun myself and imbibe once more at leisure (yours). 'Tis truly a great way to spend the summer - cheers to you and your investment - long may it continue.

Mucho bravado, JT. Enjoy your weekend at Skegness and have a Lidl plonk on me.

Because you're worth it.

I'm off to bed now so, if you're minded to send another billet doux, I will check it and reply in the morning.

Nighty night.

sir baconface said:
johnnytapia said:
sir baconface said:

Mucho bravado, JT. Enjoy your weekend at Skegness and have a Lidl plonk on me.

Because you're worth it.

I'm off to bed now so, if you're minded to send another billet doux, I will check it and reply in the morning.

Nighty night.

Chapeau to you Sir. If you do reply, it may be September when I get to read it - so many hols you see. Skeggy? Why so presumptuous? That's where I went many moons ago - having secured a tiptop salary (grace a vous bien sur) I now find flying to the Seychelles so much more my thing. I would take my marking but, hey, why do that when another strike day can be used to so much better use?

Nighty night - be sure to check those streetlights aren't burning too brightly - pesky council hey?

I was considering training as a teacher. Then I saw the hours worked. An average of 47 hours a week for secondary school teachers, but that includes the holidays. When you take out the holidays, they're actually working an average of 63 hours a week in term time. The starting salary is £21,804, so divide that by 39 weeks worked and you've got £559 a week, or under £9 an hour based on an average week. And that's just the average. The new teachers who are actually on this salary are likely the ones putting in the most work, particularly in lesson planning. It was at this point that I realised it's really not worth the two years (in addition to the 3 years I already did for my degree) training.

Given that the teacher strikes are about excessive workload, I don't see how anyone can really argue with it. When they're doing 63 hours a week, yet only 19 hours of that is actually in the classroom, you know something has gone wrong. Teaching 19 hours a week, should be a 40 hour a week job tops. You can plan good quality lessons in about 30 minutes for every hour taught. Obviously marking depends on the length and complexity of the work, but anything more than 10 hours a week for combined marking and admin seems pretty ridiculous to me. Okay, they might occasionally have to work for longer, and do extra stuff, but an average 43 hours a week (more than a full time job in any other industry) in addition to their actual teaching is insane. And it will only result in tired teachers, poor quality lessons and poor classroom management.

I know a bloke who did it for 3 years and quit for exactly this reason.

Here's the story, btw.

The most interesting bit was at the end where it says that none of these figures included work done during the holidays either.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.