Teachers dispute settled?

October 14th is the next day for a mass walk out,we got a memo at work saying the original planned day of 30th September was moved to october.
didn`t say if the strike was for teachers or pensions or public sector workers only getting a 1% payrise....

sir baconface said:
So not a single day out of their six weeks devoted to any form of demonstration?
My Wife is on strike at the moment. I have a massive hangover and she's done owt about it the lazy cow.

Oh...since breaking up she's been to school for 6 of the 8 days. That's planning, making displays and as she's a deputy head a few meetings.

This doesn't include the stuff she's doing at home.

When she is in school she is in at 7.30 and regularly stays until 6. Add in meetings and two days a week she's home at 9pm.

All to baby sit, clean up piss and shit, stop fights, put up with thick parents and the OP and to teach the offspring of people who struggle to dress properly.

Has your missus ever come home from work crying because she's just found out that the reason one of her pupils has been acting weird is because his so called parents locked him in a room right after school and then let him out in the morning for 5 weeks as he once asked for homework help?

Thought not.

brass neck said:
mrtwiceaseason said:
Yeah 6 weeks off 1st day back will be an inset day .!! Why ???

Well, the 6 weeks holidays are part of the Teachers Pay and Conditions contract that so far hasn't been ripped up. The inset were the idea of the Thatcher government and have never gone away. Many of the good teachers I know have been in over summer. My wife's friend has been in for 3 weeks, she has started 3 displays and has planned her first terms lessons. This is because she is a mum herself and doesn't want to be in school gone 6pm on a evening when her kids would like to see her.
She was probably at her wits end at home stuck with the kids for six weeks and would do anything for a break and putting a few pictures up in a quiet empty building seemed like her idea of heaven !! Only joking

manimanc said:
October 14th is the next day for a mass walk out,we got a memo at work saying the original planned day of 30th September was moved to october.
didn`t say if the strike was for teachers or pensions or public sector workers only getting a 1% payrise....
Genuine question what are you hoping to achieve by going out the odd day here and there ? It seems to have been going on for months/years.do you think you will get anywhere like this or wouldn't you be better off having a proper strike to force the issue ? From my own experience we have 1 kid in 1 kid out etc not good for us not good for the teachers .if the feeling is so strong why won't the rest of the teachers come out and try to get change ?

mrtwiceaseason said:
manimanc said:
Genuine question what are you hoping to achieve by going out the odd day here and there ? It seems to have been going on for months/years.do you think you will get anywhere like this or wouldn't you be better off having a proper strike to force the issue ? From my own experience we have 1 kid in 1 kid out etc not good for us not good for the teachers .if the feeling is so strong why won't the rest of the teachers come out and try to get change ?
I`m not a teacher pal,i work for the council.

mrtwiceaseason said:
manimanc said:

I agree with this. Striking for one day is just a mild inconvenience. If the unions really wanted to effect change, they'd quietly tell their members to start saving up their cheques, and plan a complete withdrawal of labour. Two weeks, and I reckon the government would bend the knee.

But on the other hand, they're already an unpopular profession and standards will need to fall much further before the general public realises that being a teacher is not just holidays and massive pensions.

croasdale said:
mrtwiceaseason said:
manimanc said:

I agree with this. Striking for one day is just a mild inconvenience. If the unions really wanted to effect change, they'd quietly tell their members to start saving up their cheques, and plan a complete withdrawal of labour. Two weeks, and I reckon the government would bend the knee.

But on the other hand, they're already an unpopular profession and standards will need to fall much further before the general public realises that being a teacher is not just holidays and massive pensions.
As you say I think that a lot of teachers are bothered about losing a days pay let alone a few weeks worth to push the issue.if you feel your grievances are right do something about it go out properly !

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
squirtyflower said:
BlueBearBoots said:
Just read the article IWS and noticed that primary school teachers spend 4.3 hours a week on general admin. What would general admin be?

Also noticed --

The biggest cause of unnecessary paperwork, the teachers reported, was preparing for an Ofsted inspection.

Wouldn't it be much better if representatives of Ofsted just turned up unannounced?

Can any of you teachers out there read this article and comment, do you agree, disagree with the findings?
They're all in the Seychelles
Or Sri Lanka

Don't you fucking start - you went to a proper university.
And teachers got you there.
Now don't wind me up this early on a Saturday again, because even I seldom get banned before breakfast, and I haven't posted the slowest six racehorses in Britain yet, so give me half an hour before the banhammer falls.

Yeah, Squirty. You don't know what you are going on about so stay out of it! :)

mrtwiceaseason said:
brass neck said:
mrtwiceaseason said:
Yeah 6 weeks off 1st day back will be an inset day .!! Why ???

Well, the 6 weeks holidays are part of the Teachers Pay and Conditions contract that so far hasn't been ripped up. The inset were the idea of the Thatcher government and have never gone away. Many of the good teachers I know have been in over summer. My wife's friend has been in for 3 weeks, she has started 3 displays and has planned her first terms lessons. This is because she is a mum herself and doesn't want to be in school gone 6pm on a evening when her kids would like to see her.
She was probably at her wits end at home stuck with the kids for six weeks and would do anything for a break and putting a few pictures up in a quiet empty building seemed like her idea of heaven !! Only joking

Funnily enough, I've got a 4 month old child and a partner who is off work on maternity.
I went into work on Thursday for a bit of peace and quiet.

Some well-informed debate here. My comments to the original poster should have been taken with the tongue firmly in cheek - yes, the hols are great but they’re thoroughly and utterly needed and deserved. I do teach. In inner-city Manchester. It’s fucking hard. Absolutely relentless pressure and the bar gets raised incessantly by non-educators. I’ve done many other jobs, dug roads, built hospitals, worked on oil rigs and none, not one, comes anywhere close to the demands of teaching. I moved from engineering to education for several reasons, primarily about helping the poorest, most desperate kids. Teaching in Ancoats is no bed of roses but the kids, by and large are the bees’ knees - parents are a TOTALLY different kettle of fish. I moved to a school in “measures” in Wythenshawe six years ago and it’s equally tough - and rewarding.

The job has changed massively, even in the relatively short period I’ve been doing it - 8 years. We are now social workers, physicians, nurses, psychiatrists, sports coaches and from time to time we get to teach. I keep getting told poverty is no barrier to success and that my kids in Ancoats/Wythenshawe should do as well as the kids in Didsbury/Richmond etc - utter fantasy and nonsensical. I’ve had kids come to school with no bedding, no wallpaper, no food, no underwear, no love. Day in day out. And I’m expected to overcome all that and deliver kids who can hold their own against the sons and daughters of the well-heeled. It’s led to a climate of fear, of Manchester teachers working ridiculously long hours in the hope we can get these kids to scrape the attainment barrier. And if we fail - all the teachers’ fault. I’m a Deputy head and I’m expected to put these “underperforming” staff through the fucking mill with endles targets; moving of goalposts. I try my best to deflect the pressure I’m getting from above, to dampen the yoke of expectation, but it’s fucking hard.

So, yes, I do treat myself to a bottle of red now and again and yes, my wages are paid for by the state, but forget not, I too pay tax, I too give my pound of flesh to the common good. But when your profession is constantly undermined (“ we don’t need qualified teachers” - funny, replace teachers with airline pilot, doctor, nurse - would you?) and you’re asked to work even longer, harder and for less, it’s small wonder we have reached the end of our tether.

Incidentally, OP - “Teachers dispute settle?” should read “Teachers’ dispute settled?” - weren’t you taught grammar?!?

And finally, if anyone feels I paint a false picture of teaching, you are very welcome to train, to experience the “coal face” then decide if you want to join us for our "holiday-fest", "gold pension-filled" career. Or, like most of those who bleat about us, will you stick to the Daily Fail version and yada yadda from the sidelines?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.