Technical problems

Damocles said:
as I have prearranged to go for a drink with a rag friend tonight.

I think you need to get your priorities right fella.

;-)

Cheesy said:
Damocles said:
as I have prearranged to go for a drink with a rag friend tonight.

I think you need to get your priorities right fella.

;-)

Ha, he backed out due to the Tevez signing!

Anyway, you may all notice that the little black dots on the topic icons that tell you when you have posted in a topic have now gone. Unfortunately, it was necessary to keep the server ticking until I can get everything shutdown and debugged tonight. On the plus side, the site should be faster

Damocles said:
I know, and I can only apologise that everything wasn't fixed last night as I thought. We can now support more users without the site crashing, but are still having problems when 100 people post at once. It doesn't help that due to the way in which phpBB works, that 850 users in physical terms, mean about 300 different 'threads' (or active processes) on the processor. After checking the performance logs, I can see that our CPU hasn't been below 100% usage in over three days (besides the crashes).

Plain and simply, I got it wrong and thought the overriding problem was to do with the amount of page faults and threads that MySQL was producing. Last night, I adjusted some of the variables to compensate and help MySQL's caching system work more efficiently and it doesn't seem to of cured the overall sickness.

We wanted to try and avoid this, but the only way to now find the overall problem is to dive in to the processes that run the server itself, and wade through each time server request bit by bit, to find the root cause. I will either do this tonight or tomorrow night, as I have prearranged to go for a drink with a rag friend tonight. The site will have to be offline for about 2 hours, so I will do it in the early hours. I can only apologise to the regular Aussie/NZ/Asia users we have, who have to suffer the main outages when the UK is in bed. If we hit this root cause, expect a dramatic performance increase. If we don't, we will beaver away at it until we do.

The site will speed up a bit for you if you were to hit the Mark All Forums Read link on the Index page of the forum, as we had to do before.

Thanks,
Damocles

Assuming its on a single server (If not then theres severe problems with the cluster setup) have you checked

edit /etc/my.cnf

Code:
# log-bin should be commented out, but is often left in by default and can cause severe problems at peak usage times & almost double processor I/O's

very nice suit mr de niro.... you looked like you were representing tevez earlier!!!
de niro said:
this has been the worst occasion, just when we need it most lol.

keep plugging away ricardo.

The site just crashed for me, no debug errors, just a blank page with service unavailable on.

I'm on Mozilla and it was only down for about a minute.

Hello. I'm a 18 years old hungarian boy. I registered to the site yesterday. I've read in FAQ that i must have made at least 20 posts to make a new topic. I've already made 25 but I can't. Whats wrong? Could you help me, please? Thank you!

greghunter said:
Hello. I'm a 18 years old hungarian boy. I registered to the site yesterday. I've read in FAQ that i must have made at least 20 posts to make a new topic. I've already made 25 but I can't. Whats wrong? Could you help me, please? Thank you!

Having a simalar problem mate, cant create a new topic, dispite having created one before, can someone sort it please?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.