Tennis Thread

If Novak Djokovic wins the singles Gold medal on Sunday, he'd immediately join this list at the age of 37 in 2024 having already won all 4 Grand Slams. As seen in the list of 4 above, Novak would join it as the oldest player when completed.
Congrats to Novak, that was an amazing match with neither player losing serve during the 24 non-tiebreak games played.

Carlos had his chances with 8 break points in the first set, but just couldn't get it done. Novak's serves got much better 2nd set, and he was making shots to have Carlos make some forced errors that would have been winners otherwise against anyone else.

As the NBC commentators noted, it was taking 2-3 amazing hits just to win a point as that was steel sharpening steel out there. Both players were running down shots that I've not seen others be able to do. Simply amazing.

I've not seen a Gold medal match that close or as tense that I can remember. Prior to 2020, the Gold winner had to win 3 out of 5 sets.

Here's the list of Golden Slam winners in singles tennis and the year and their age when they completed the feat:
  1. Steffi Graf became the first player to win all four Grand Slam titles and an Olympic gold when she claimed all five of the huge titles in a staggering season in 1988. She turned 19 in June of 1988 and had won her only Major prior to that year at the 1987 French Open. The 22-time Grand Slam winner remains the only player to achieve a Golden Slam in a calendar year.
  2. Andre Agassi became the first man to complete a career Golden Slam when he claimed his only French Open title to finish the set in 1999 at the age of 29. He won the Singles Olympic Gold in 1996 in Atlanta.
That couple have some amount of medals between them.
Not sure if there is any other married people with that collection between them.

We didn't care about the whole Scottish/British angle as much as those in the UK would point out or discuss
There were those who did, though. Sean Connery and Alex Ferguson were sitting together in the posh seats at that Final out in Queens, a few levels below our seats of course. Cameras were on them throughout the match.

I liked Andy but liked Nadal more.

I liked Andy but liked Nadal more.
I'm 100% with you, but given they didn't overlap as much as others given Rafa's dominance on clay and Andy's struggle there otherwise, it wasn't hard to cheer for half of the big 4 during that time.

Andy's (initial) quest for Wimbledon for me was also very personal to have happen, so that's the only venue where I'd be cheering for him over Rafa if they met during that time, even after his first title there.

No transparency, processed much quicker than other suspected doping cases, not great for the optics.

Incredible comeback from Dan Evans in the final set.
Just finished watching that a bit delayed, and wow what a performance! Down 0-4 games in the final set to simply win 6 in a row. At a minimum, just watch the final game where he had some amazing shots to break Khachenov and win the match.

That also just was the longest match in US Open history - 5 hours and 35 minutes.

It beat the previous longest which was the 1992 semi-final between Stefan Edberg and Michael Chang at 5 hours 26 minutes.

Dan was getting lots of cheers from the US crowd who was clearly on his side. Well done!

1724802636801.png

Last edited:
Just finished watching that a bit delayed, and wow what a performance! Down 0-4 games in hte final set to simply win 6 in a row. At a minimum, just watch the final game where he had some amazing shots to break Khachenov and win the match.

That also just was the longest match in US Open history - 5 hours and 35 minutes.

It beat the previous longest which was the 1992 semi-final between Stefan Edberg and Michael Chang at 5 hours 26 minutes.

Dan was getting lots of cheers from the US crowd who was clearly on his side. Well done!

View attachment 129781
I only got to see the final set and at 4-0 down and facing 4 break points in that game, to come back and win 6 games straight was incredible.

More so because he’s not played much this year and so his stamina was crazy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.