Terry Phelan's wondergoal v Spurs 1993

There was a game, against Coventry, I think, in the midweek after that and it seemed deserted to me. I think loads would have binned it off as they were so depressed.
20,000 that night,but most of our games we're in the 20s.Liverpool 28,000,Rags was 37,000 full house at the time I would say.34,000 for that cup game with Spurs.

The Lego stand.
Only went in there once. The Derby when we went down in ‘96. When Kinky’s mate and Rosler scored for us. But they still beat us.

Terrible view and really cheap finish. Less then a decade before its predecessor was full of City fans when we beat Charlton in ‘85.

And that was Swales’ vision for our future. Just as money was starting to flood into the game.

It’s always worth remembering just how awful Swales was.

Edit: it was just over a decade!

Last edited:
Only went in there once. The Derby when we went down in ‘96. When Kinky’s mate and Rosler scored for us. But they still beat us.

Terrible view and really cheap finish. Less then a decade before its predecessor was full of City fans when we beat Charlton in ‘85.

And that was Swales’ vision for our future. Just as money was starting to flood into the game.

It’s always worth remembering just how awful Swales was.
Biggest mistake he made was bringing Malcolm Alison back. I remember the swops of Barnes/Owen/Hartford/Kidd and Watson for Stuart Lee,Daley,Mackenzie,Silkman,Robinson and all.We didn't recover until 2008 when HRH bought the Club,hence the scaled down Platt Lane where I used to sit behind the goal when it was home fans and bench seating.

Biggest mistake he made was bringing Malcolm Alison back. I remember the swops of Barnes/Owen/Hartford/Kidd and Watson for Stuart Lee,Daley,Mackenzie,Silkman,Robinson and all.We didn't recover until 2008 when HRH bought the Club,hence the scaled down Platt Lane where I used to sit behind the goal when it was home fans and bench seating.
We recovered for a couple of seasons tbf, but you are correct the overall trajectory was downwards from that point.

The actual big turning point was John Bond leaving like that. We weren’t badly placed in the league when he walked out after we lost away to Brighton in the FA Cup.

It always amazes me how little John Benson’s name gets mentioned when worst City manager threads pop up on here.

Our track record under his stewardship was appalling. Our form completely collapsed.

That sent us into a tailspin from which we didn’t really recover until as @pauls has said, 2008.

It was Big Mal’s recklessness that was the source of that tailspin though. Weakened the foundations. We had a fine group of players when he came in. He tried to change too much, too quickly.

And fucked it up.

What a horrible day that was. One of the days back then when I was totally furious, despairing even, after the game. We had United at home the week before (or after?) and this cup quarter final too. The whole club was on a high as it finally looked like we had a good team. The new Platt Lane Stand was opening too.

Going into the game optimism was incredibly high, and desperation for a cup final as well, as validation that the dark days of the 80s were finally over.

The atmosphere was electric. We went a goal up and Maine Road was rocking with excitement. Then SPurs went and banged 4 past us. I can think of few times that our supporters have felt so kicked in the teeth. The place was seething with anger and pain.

I got up and left when Spurs scored their fifth (which I found out later was disallowed) so I missed Phelan's wonder goal and the subsequent pitch invasion.
When Sheron scored the opener, I fell over on the Kippax as I went mad. Ruptured ankle ligaments, and needed lifting out by St.John's. Huge egg on the side of my foot, absolute agony. I had previously broken a leg, and this felt the same.

It was 1-2 by the time an ambulance arrived, me sitting pouring cold water over the injury as there was no ice. Was 1-4 by the time the x-ray was done and I was wheeled in to the waiting room where the match was just concluding. That's where I saw the goal. I didn't cheer, lol.

When Sheron scored the opener, I fell over on the Kippax as I went mad. Ruptured ankle ligaments, and needed lifting out by St.John's. Huge egg on the side of my foot, absolute agony. I had previously broken a leg, and this felt the same.

It was 1-2 by the time an ambulance arrived, me sitting pouring cold water over the injury as there was no ice. Was 1-4 by the time the x-ray was done and I was wheeled in to the waiting room where the match was just concluding. That's where I saw the goal. I didn't cheer, lol.
Ouch!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.