Test Driving A Car

jrb

Have any of you ever test driven a car for the sake of it, just because you wanted to drive it, knowing you’ve got no intention of buying the car?

I’d like to test drive the Hyundai Ionic 5. I am going to buy one, but not until next year at the earliest. But I want to drive it NOW to see if I like it or not. :-)

What’s a good excuse to fend off an eager sales person after the test drive apart from sorry I don’t like it? :-(

Have any of you ever test driven a car for the sake of it, just because you wanted to drive it, knowing you’ve got no intention of buying the car?

I’d like to test drive the Hyundai Ionic 5. I am going to buy one, but not until next year at the earliest. But I want to drive it NOW to see if I like it or not. :-)

What’s a good excuse to fend off an eager sales person after the test drive apart from sorry I don’t like it? :-(
When you take it back tell him you've got an identical one at home that needs new tyres and a battery.

for 20 odd years I got a new company car on lease every 3 years. Never test drove a one of them. I based choice on kit inside v what I wanted for my contribution. They all had a steering wheel in front of me - 3 pedals and a manual gearstick. Not really sure of the benefit of a test drive unless I was moving to an auto or an EV ( had an auto Navarra for 2 months once and hated it ) - just seems an odd waste of time.

What if you try and want the 3 litre 6 cyl GTXLRSXT Blackline edition and your budget gets you the 1.2 litre boggo standard? Bit of a disappointment

for 20 odd years I got a new company car on lease every 3 years. Never test drove a one of them. I based choice on kit inside v what I wanted for my contribution. They all had a steering wheel in front of me - 3 pedals and a manual gearstick. Not really sure of the benefit of a test drive unless I was moving to an auto or an EV ( had an auto Navarra for 2 months once and hated it ) - just seems an odd waste of time.

What if you try and want the 3 litre 6 cyl GTXLRSXT Blackline edition and your budget gets you the 1.2 litre boggo standard? Bit of a disappointment

I’ve only test driven a car once. A Skoda Octavia. I ended up buying it. A few weeks later the engine management light came on. It stayed on, even after different garages investigated the problem. I part exchanged the car in the end to get rid of it. TBH I hated the car. And to this day I still don’t know why I bought it.

With the Ionic 5 it’s more about the running costs, service costs, which are cheaper, and I really like its looks. The local Hyundai dealer offered me a 5 year general warranty on the car, and any remaining 10 year warranty on the battery, as long as the used car was less than 3 years old, which I thought was a good deal, and offered piece of mind.

Last edited:
I’ve only test driven a car once. A Skoda Octavia. I ended up buying it. A few weeks later the engine management light came on. It stayed on, even after different garages investigated the problem. I part exchanged the car in the end to get rid of it. TBH aI hated the car. And to this day I still don’t know why I bought it.

With the Ionic 5 it’s more about the running costs, service costs, which are cheaper, and I really like its looks. The local Hyundai dealer offered me a 5 year general warranty on the car, and any remaining 10 year warranty on the battery, as long as the used car was less than 3 years old, which I thought was a good deal, and offered piece of mind.

To me it only makes sense if the car you are looking at has a tiller in the place of a steering wheel - lights that you operate by means of buttons and the door and an odometer that reads out in the back of the drivers headrest ............... they are all more or less the same and there have been no really crap new cars for at least 30 years

Reactions: jrb

Just do it and then say "I find the seat uncomfortable"

Reactions: jrb

Waste of time?

A lot of cars have really shit driving positions. Or have rather poor interior build quality. Or don't feel right. There's a myriad of reasons to test drive a car.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.