That place near Lancashire Cricket Ground.

daveduke67

What first amazed me on the way in was the number of stalls outside that were selling scarves, flags and t-shirts. It was like a funfair. Yet every one of them was selling. It was obvious from the number of people walking round with bags of souvenirs and their new shirts and scarves on that they were there for the first time or at best, rarely went. Hundreds of people were taking photos with the ground behind them or stood next to the statue - I don't know many people that would do that if they were there every other week.

The number of tourists pouring money into that club is amazing. I was wondering how much of their revenue is from one off visitors purchases or yearly visitors. I wondered if we'd ever be half as popular with tourists - it really is phenominal the way that club attracts people from all over the world.

Once I was in the ground and the game started I decided that no matter how much money being one of the two most famous clubs in the world brought in, I hope that we are never like them. For a crowd of 72,000 home supporters the atmosphere was pretty dire. Until Saturday I had only been in the Stretford Paddock for derby games and that was 20 years ago.

I really was expecting a cauldren of hatred, an barrage of abuse and a constant stream of united songs. It was pathetic. The only time that united fans made any noise was when they scored and at the final whistle, which considering the noise they generate towards us the rest of the time is frankly disgraceful.

Saying that though, when you consider that a significant amount of the home stands are filled with people who are there so they can say they've been there and have the photos to prove it, is hardly surprising. I hope that we are never that popular if it means filling a third of our seats with people who think a 4-4-2 comes with boiled rice - fried 50p extra.

So to the people hoping the we surpass the rags in attendance numbers - be careful what you wish for - I for one do not wish to sit in a ground full of foreigners who see their visit to a football ground as another tick in their things to see and do when in England book. I'd rather be one of 44,000 FANS than one of 72,000 a significant slice of whom are sit down all match and clap when everyone else does tourists.

clap.gif

We do need increased revenue though, could we get 55,000 for every game without attracting too many plastics?

(I still remember watching Liverpool vs. United recently and an Asian United fan desperately positioning himself with his camera phone to photo... Fernando Torres coming off)

I thought the exact same thing when i went for the 2nd leg of the Carling Cup game last season!

daveduke67 said:
What first amazed me on the way in was the number of stalls outside that were selling scarves, flags and t-shirts. It was like a funfair. Yet every one of them was selling. It was obvious from the number of people walking round with bags of souvenirs and their new shirts and scarves on that they were there for the first time or at best, rarely went. Hundreds of people were taking photos with the ground behind them or stood next to the statue - I don't know many people that would do that if they were there every other week.

The number of tourists pouring money into that club is amazing. I was wondering how much of their revenue is from one off visitors purchases or yearly visitors. I wondered if we'd ever be half as popular with tourists - it really is phenominal the way that club attracts people from all over the world.

Once I was in the ground and the game started I decided that no matter how much money being one of the two most famous clubs in the world brought in, I hope that we are never like them. For a crowd of 72,000 home supporters the atmosphere was pretty dire. Until Saturday I had only been in the Stretford Paddock for derby games and that was 20 years ago.

I really was expecting a cauldren of hatred, an barrage of abuse and a constant stream of united songs. It was pathetic. The only time that united fans made any noise was when they scored and at the final whistle, which considering the noise they generate towards us the rest of the time is frankly disgraceful.

Saying that though, when you consider that a significant amount of the home stands are filled with people who are there so they can say they've been there and have the photos to prove it, is hardly surprising. I hope that we are never that popular if it means filling a third of our seats with people who think a 4-4-2 comes with boiled rice - fried 50p extra.

So to the people hoping the we surpass the rags in attendance numbers - be careful what you wish for - I for one do not wish to sit in a ground full of foreigners who see their visit to a football ground as another tick in their things to see and do when in England book. I'd rather be one of 44,000 FANS than one of 72,000 a significant slice of whom are sit down all match and clap when everyone else does tourists.

think thats the key, maybe if our attendences were close to that, we'd see a lot more, people seeing an opportunity and taking it.

I was in the away end and had a welsh guy on one side and an aussie on the other, had to move and go somewhere else for the 2nd half i was that pissed off.

Just had two rag workmen round and they saw my city scarf in the hall. They didn't take the piss as such but, and understandably, asked if I saw the match. I said I was there and, as I've said in this topic, was amazed at the number of stalls and the amount of foreigners there - wasn't being funny with them as they weren't with me.

They looked at each other like I'd just asked if they'd seen something at Exeter's ground - one had never been and the other hadn't been for donkeys years. And neither could be even be bothered watching it Sky - both were out shopping and watched in MOTD later. Can understand 100% when someone says I simply can't afford it or I was working - but shopping with the wife ffs!!

Are these the sort of fans we want to attract when things click properly and we start to win things?

NO!!

The thing that really struck me is the way they have to get the crowd going with all the propaganda songs before the start - and I would be embarrassed to have some of those songs associated with my club.

The whole episode reminded me of going to the panto!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.