Thatcher dead

Great post Rascal,

I left school in 85, no jobs, no way of learning a trade. I spent 12 months on a YTS course and was shipped out to a "small building firm" the type of small firm that Thatchers government encouraged on a YTS scheme created by Thatchers government. I was taught nothing and spent twelve months digging this builders foundations by hand on house extensions that he made a fortune building. I earnt £27.30 each week and the builder never gave me a penny. I was his slave for twelve months and he promised me a job at the end of my scheme and so I worked hard for him and never took a single day off, even working weekends unpaid to try and impress. At the end of my scheme he sent me back to my training centre and got a fresh new slave for twelve months.

This happened to thousands of young men like me and for that alone I will never forgive Thatcher. She did not give a shit for the youth and the YTS kept her jobless figures down to 3 million, when it should of been 5 million plus.

On the back of that thousands of fat bastard owning small businessmen made fortunes on the back of high margins at the time and free labour. These twats will still be in fantastic financial positions due to Thatchers free young labour scheme so no wonder she will have some support. Those same twats taking advantage of this free labour will have bought and paid for their houses with the fat cash they made and will live a very good life today.

It was unfair on the youth and I for one will never forget being an honest hard working slave for twelve months who was totally duped into thinking that if I worked hard I would be rewarded.

I will also never forget the fat bastard builder who had me digging footings, mixing concrete, carrying his bricks and even had me painting his bastard fence for two weeks when he had no other for me. He would have had Free Labour for at least ten years ( in today's terms saving him around £300k ) whilst telling me on a weekly basis, "well done lad, I'll take you on at the end of your scheme"

Ding Dong The Witch is Dead the fucking woman !!!!!!

guvnors son mcfc said:
Great post Rascal,

I left school in 85, no jobs, no way of learning a trade. I spent 12 months on a YTS course and was shipped out to a "small building firm" the type of small firm that Thatchers government encouraged on a YTS scheme created by Thatchers government. I was taught nothing and spent twelve months digging this builders foundations by hand on house extensions that he made a fortune building. I earnt £27.30 each week and the builder never gave me a penny. I was his slave for twelve months and he promised me a job at the end of my scheme and so I worked hard for him and never took a single day off, even working weekends unpaid to try and impress. At the end of my scheme he sent me back to my training centre and got a fresh new slave for twelve months.

This happened to thousands of young men like me and for that alone I will never forgive Thatcher. She did not give a shit for the youth and the YTS kept her jobless figures down to 3 million, when it should of been 5 million plus.

On the back of that thousands of fat bastard owning small businessmen made fortunes on the back of high margins at the time and free labour. These twats will still be in fantastic financial positions due to Thatchers free young labour scheme so no wonder she will have some support. Those same twats taking advantage of this free labour will have bought and paid for their houses with the fat cash they made and will live a very good life today.

It was unfair on the youth and I for one will never forget being an honest hard working slave for twelve months who was totally duped into thinking that if I worked hard I would be rewarded.

I will also never forget the fat bastard builder who had me digging footings, mixing concrete, carrying his bricks and even had me painting his bastard fence for two weeks when he had no other for me. He would have had Free Labour for at least ten years ( in today's terms saving him around £300k ) whilst telling me on a weekly basis, "well done lad, I'll take you on at the end of your scheme"

I will 2nd that. Tramp the dirt down`.<br /><br />-- Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:05 am --<br /><br />
Sheikh said:
KNOB.

pominoz said:
I can not stand Russel Brand, but have to admit that he writes well.
His take on Thatcher..

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/russell-brand/margaret-thatcher-our-unm_b_3046390.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.huffingtonpost.com/russell-b ... 46390.html</a>
I was expecting to hate that from start to finish, but it was a really well-written and thought-provoking piece.

guvnors son mcfc said:
Great post Rascal,

They are still giving out free labor now.

http://liberalconspiracy.org/2013/0...er-admits-to-using-workfare-to-cut-paid-jobs/

Lol yes I know the URL sounds whacky.

totallywired said:
guvnors son mcfc said:
Great post Rascal,

I will 2nd that. Tramp the dirt down`.

-- Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:05 am --

Sheikh said:
KNOB.

guvnors son mcfc said:
Great post Rascal,

Much of that is true, in fact it ran into probably hundreds of thousands, and also explains the reluctance of many to take part in them, but let's not forget, the YTS was only an expansion of Labours YOP scheme introduced by Callaghan a few years before , we mustn't forget that, however, both were an abomination.

Why do people insist on implying that we lived in some sort of utopia before 1979, where we all had great jobs and life was just rosy? The truth is that we were completely skint as a country and unemployment was at then record levels. British Leyland had gone bust and been bailed out in 1975 and British Steel was already planning to reduce capacity. They had too many people producing too little steel at too high a cost in too many under-utilised plants. If anyone is to blame for the decline of the British Steel industry it's probably Churchill, who tore up plans to invest in and reform the industry during his tenure. Places like Corby & Consett are quick to blame Thatcher for their problems but the plans to close those steelworks were already in place before she came to power.

The only reason unemployment wasn't much higher was that public money (money we didn't have as the IMF were bailing us out at the time) was being pumped into loss-making and dying industries just to keep people in work. You can argue about the rights and wrongs of that but you can't argue that it couldn't have continued for very much longer. And one of the factors that required action to be taken sooner rather than later was the 1979 oil crisis following the Iranian revolution when production plummeted and prices more than doubled. I notice Labour apologists are quick to blame the global liquidity crisis for our current economic woes but blame Thatcher for those of the early 1980's, forgetting the constraints she was under.

The coal industry was also in decline and had been for 15 years by the time Thatcher came to power. Pits were being closed on a regular basis as demand declined. But even after the Miners' strike, we still produced 100m tons of coal a year. Whatever happened, that would have declined significantly as we moved away from dirty fuels like coal.

I'd certainly agree that the YTS scheme was a scandal and as a union rep in an engineering environment I railed against it as short-sighted. It offered false hope to people but was that much worse than the false hope offered by the previous government, which used public money to keep people in jobs that had no future?

These problems would have to have been faced and tackled sooner or later and it's certainly legitimate to question whether there was a better way to manage this process but you simply cannot question the need to take some action.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.