Thatcher dead

robbieh said:
WNRH said:
This whole week has been a farce.

Celebrating the death of a old woman.
People who weren't born in her premiership out celebrating.

Welcome to bandwagon jumping faux pas outrage Britain in 2013.

The fact she is old is irrelevant. She was a woman when she was younger and in full control of her faculties. She knew what she was doing.

As for the young celebrating. Well everybody is encouraged to celebrate the end of WW I. Very few of us were around for that.

Are you seriously comparing celebrating the death of a former prime minister to the greatest and most devastating war in recent modern history?<br /><br />-- Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:24 pm --<br /><br />
law74 said:
WNRH said:

Why exactly? Thatcher might be dead (pity she was ever born), but Thatcherism is alive, well and living in Downing Street now.
Just because you might not have been born when your family had the livelihood stolen by the witch, does not mean that you do not know the pain and suffering her policies caused.

She didn't effect my family or anyone i knew.

WNRH said:
robbieh said:
WNRH said:

The fact she is old is irrelevant. She was a woman when she was younger and in full control of her faculties. She knew what she was doing.

As for the young celebrating. Well everybody is encouraged to celebrate the end of WW I. Very few of us were around for that.

Are you seriously comparing celebrating the death of a former prime minister to the greatest and most devastating war in recent modern history?

No am just saying that there are celebrations for all sorts of things that many of those celebrating were not alive at the time.<br /><br />-- Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:27 pm --<br /><br />
WNRH said:
robbieh said:
WNRH said:

Are you seriously comparing celebrating the death of a former prime minister to the greatest and most devastating war in recent modern history?

-- Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:24 pm --

law74 said:
WNRH said:

Why exactly? Thatcher might be dead (pity she was ever born), but Thatcherism is alive, well and living in Downing Street now.
Just because you might not have been born when your family had the livelihood stolen by the witch, does not mean that you do not know the pain and suffering her policies caused.

And that in a nutshell is the attitude of the right.

WNRH said:
robbieh said:
WNRH said:

-- Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:24 pm --

law74 said:
WNRH said:

It must be a very small isolationist bubble that you live in then.

chabal said:
robbieh said:
karen7 said:
Being made to pay for this at this time of austerity when her family and the tory party are so rich is something i hope comes back to bite them in the ass in 2015

I agree. The death of Thatcher has reminded many that the Tory party is and always has been a party, of the rich for the rich by the rich.

Personally feel Attlee's legacy of the National Health service was far superior to anything Thatcher bequeathed to the nation.

Great post. Attlee left something, no matter how flawed, that was for the benefit of the whole country generation after generation.

Thatcher has no such legacy.

Which is not true, fact of the matter is without her and the painful economic medicine we had to take (there is no denying the pain of it) we would have been in a worse position than the poor Greeks!

All this nonsense she destroyed manufacturing, written by people who don't tend to realise that in order to manufacture you have to have a product that people want to buy, and people did not want to buy from us (we did not even what to buy from us), therefore the government was not getting any tax returns in order to prop up said manufacturing, anyhow plenty of companies did survive and prospered, most of the poor ones got swept away.

She did not start with a fully functioning country, we were up shit creek without a paddle, and something had to be done.

It does seem they people are getting caught up in the hatred hype, perhaps it's the cool thing to do, but I have not read one word of this thread that has convinced me that on the whole (and there are quite a few exceptions) she was good for this country

WNRH said:

An interesting thought.

We celebrate Guy Fawkes death every year

Perhaps in the future kids will gather round burn coal with a Maggie effigy on top and we could call it Burn the Witch night ...we could do it on Halloween

Perfect

Rascal said:
WNRH said:

An interesting thought.

We celebrate Guy Fawkes death every year

Perhaps in the future kids will gather round burn coal with a Maggie effigy on top and we could call it Burn the Witch night ...we could do it on Halloween

Perfect

It would only be a few bitter old lefties in attendance though

Carstairs said:
robbieh said:

Remembrance Sunday is not a day of celebration, it is a day to reflect on the sacrifice of combatants, to reflect, to remember.

OK. No it isn't a celebration. But my point remains that people are entitled to celebrate the death of Mrs Thatcher regardless of their age.

A few years ago there was a lot of flag waving over Trafalgar an event that not even our great great grand parents will have been around for.

Ducado said:
chabal said:
robbieh said:
I agree. The death of Thatcher has reminded many that the Tory party is and always has been a party, of the rich for the rich by the rich.

Personally feel Attlee's legacy of the National Health service was far superior to anything Thatcher bequeathed to the nation.

Great post. Attlee left something, no matter how flawed, that was for the benefit of the whole country generation after generation.

Thatcher has no such legacy.

Which is not true, fact of the matter is without her and the painful economic medicine we had to take (there is no denying the pain of it) we would have been in a worse position than the poor Greeks!

All this nonsense she destroyed manufacturing, written by people who don't tend to realise that in order to manufacture you have to have a product that people want to buy, and people did not want to buy from us (we did not even what to buy from us), therefore the government was not getting any tax returns in order to prop up said manufacturing, anyhow plenty of companies did survive and prospered, most of the poor ones got swept away.

She did not start with a fully functioning country, we were up shit creek without a paddle, and something had to be done.

It does seem they people are getting caught up in the hatred hype, perhaps it's the cool thing to do, but I have not read one word of this thread that has convinced me that on the whole (and there are quite a few exceptions) she was good for this country

During her premiership 7% of GDP came from North Sea Oil.

Without that oil, none of which was due to her government's investment, could any of the subsequent economic recovery occurred.

That is not hatred - it is economic rationale.

WNRH said:

I think what's annoyed me most this week is the notion that you have to experience first hand historical periods to have a well formed opinion on it! I didn't experience a South African government under Apartheid but I know everything they stood for sickened me! The way the country as a whole has reacted this week shows how the wounds she left haven't scarred over and for this she deserves nothing more than a bog standard funeral and certainly no requests for respect to be paid from those who suffered under her tenure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.