Thatcher dead

chabal said:
mackenzie said:
Ronnie the Rep said:
Sorry Mike I have to disagree. Even a Looney like you would concede that By its very nature, divisive means that there are two opposing views. I have spent most of the week in the USA and they can't believe the vitriol. Since I have come back, I haven't spoken to a single person at work or in my home town that doesn't think the protests are wrong, vulgar and disrespectful. IMHO, I think Brown did more damage to us as a society and financially. But if he died I wouldn't treat his memory as Mrs Thatcher has been

I'm a leftie and I wouldn't dream of either disrupting her funeral or going to 'death' parties.

There's a line that should never be stepped over in my opinion,because to do so dehumanises the participant.

Politics should be left to one side at some point.

Yes but it appears that her funeral is becoming a triumphalist procession.

I would suggest a lot of the protesting is not so much anti Thatcher as anti Thatcher glorification.

Doubt it. I think any protests will be more about the individual concerned.

Don't get me wrong; I think a quiet funeral would have been much better and her grandiose 'WE have become a Grandmother' statement was symptomatic of the way her mind was going.
I hate the way all this money can be found for her; it's so ironic, especially now, to be a little bit vomit inducing.

However, what is done is done.

Ronnie the Rep said:
Mike D said:
Ronnie the Rep said:
Who says the majority don't want to pay?

She is a very divisive person and you only have to read or listen to the media to get that. Even a dear old nutjob such as yourself Ronnie, deep down knows that this whole ceremonial funeral is a very bad idea.

Sorry Mike I have to disagree. Even a Looney like you would concede that By its very nature, divisive means that there are two opposing views. I have spent most of the week in the USA and they can't believe the vitriol. Since I have come back, I haven't spoken to a single person at work or in my home town that doesn't think the protests are wrong, vulgar and disrespectful. IMHO, I think Brown did more damage to us as a society and financially. But if he died I wouldn't treat his memory as Mrs Thatcher has been

Actually if Brown did more damage then he had a greater impact on the Country than Thatcher therefore he is more deserving of a 'state' funeral than Thatcher since the LEVEL of impact seems to be the qualifying criteria for a 'state' funeral. Whether the impact is good or bad by public consent is irrelevant as Thatcher would not qualify under this criterion as the public are split 50/50. So state funeral for Gordon it is!
Although Gordon screwed most things up he was actually THE leading world figure in preventing the global financial crisis becoming a meltdown ( remember the joke 'Gordon' saved the world?, it actually had an element of truth in it).
So wrong on both counts Ronnie ( the Rep?).

malg said:
Rascal said:
robbieh said:
Thatcherites won't enjoy this but as usual Mark Steel makes some great points in his own inimitable way.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/mark-steel-you-cant-just-shut-us-up-now-that-margaret-thatchers-dead-8568785.html?fb_action_ids=10151588352206145&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210151588352206145%22%3A327846247318756%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210151588352206145%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... map=%5B%5D</a>

I read that earlier today

Mark Steel is a brilliant writer and his stuff wether you agree with him or not is always witty and thought provoking.

With him and Matthew Norman the Indy have the best in the business at that type of article
I quite like Mark Steel (i don't always agree with his politics, but that doesn't take away from his writing) and the Indy is one of the better papers out there, but that article is certainly not 'thought provoking' - it's just another 'look how much I hate Thatcher' article. There are more thought provoking posts on this thread.

I wouldnt disagree on his Thatcher article

It was clearly a hate Thatcher article and that was the point i garnered from it. Eulogising is fine but the detractors should be allowed a voice.

Which if the press was like here we would have seen and witnessed everything from everyone with an interest and some who couldnt care less.

The press could probably learn much from us without ranting on with there specific agenda

malg said:
mackenzie said:
I'm a leftie and I wouldn't dream of either disrupting her funeral or going to 'death' parties.

There's a line that should never be stepped over in my opinion,because to do so dehumanises the participant.

Politics should be left to one side at some point.
Good post. I believe it's about being a decent human being. Some trully awful hate filled bile has been posted on this thread, and I think some posters should hang their heads in shame (I think some, in a quiet moment of contemplation, would probably regret saying some of the stuff they have - in fact there hasn't been as much bile recently so maybe it's happened already?).

Mack, not often I disagree with you, but will have to do so here. When the nutjobs in the media etc are trying to portray the witch as some sort of saint, when we are having to face cut after cut (quite a few down to her failed policies, and tory lite's shameful neglect in changing them), are faced with a bill of £10 MILLION just to get rid of the witch, for the same funeral arrangements as Her Majesty the Queen Mother, a woman who was loved by most and respected by nearly all, and the Princess Of Wales, again held in very high regard by the overwhelming majority of the nation, then something HAS to be said and done.
After a couple of seconds quiet contemplation, I have thought about malg's post and have decided that no, I do not regret a single word of what I have said or posted either here or on other sites on the internet or in people I have been speaking to.

DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD, tramp the witch down.

She will get what she deserves, and the respect that she shown the working class of the United Kingdom while she was in power, are now showing her the same respect.

karen7 said:
Being made to pay for this at this time of austerity when her family and the tory party are so rich is something i hope comes back to bite them in the ass in 2015

I agree. The death of Thatcher has reminded many that the Tory party is and always has been a party, of the rich for the rich by the rich.

Personally feel Attlee's legacy of the National Health service was far superior to anything Thatcher bequeathed to the nation.

robbieh said:
karen7 said:
Being made to pay for this at this time of austerity when her family and the tory party are so rich is something i hope comes back to bite them in the ass in 2015

I agree. The death of Thatcher has reminded many that the Tory party is and always has been a party, of the rich for the rich by the rich.

Personally feel Attlee's legacy of the National Health service was far superior to anything Thatcher bequeathed to the nation.

Great post. Attlee left something, no matter how flawed, that was for the benefit of the whole country generation after generation.

Thatcher has no such legacy.

This whole week has been a farce.

Celebrating the death of a old woman.
People who weren't born in her premiership out celebrating.

Welcome to bandwagon jumping faux pas outrage Britain in 2013.

WNRH said:

It would have helped if the Establishment weren't giving her an undeserved 'state ' funeral.

Obscene really hence it provokes an equal and opposite reaction.

WNRH said:

The fact she is old is irrelevant. She was a woman when she was younger and in full control of her faculties. She knew what she was doing.

As for the young celebrating. Well everybody is encouraged to celebrate the end of WW I. Very few of us were around for that.

WNRH said:

Why exactly? Thatcher might be dead (pity she was ever born), but Thatcherism is alive, well and living in Downing Street now.
Just because you might not have been born when your family had the livelihood stolen by the witch, does not mean that you do not know the pain and suffering her policies caused.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.