the aftermath

tolmie's hairdoo said:
The powers-that-be came in to the dressing room shortly after final whistle.

EVERYONE was congratulated, and thanked for giving the fans and the owner a season of rich promise.

EVERYONE was told nothing will divert them from their path of making us the very best

EVERYONE was told they have a future at City if they want it, and promised exciting things ahead this summer and some things were well progressed.

Most notably, EVERYONE was told Mancini will still be the manager.

Some of the players found it refereshing, others not so. Whether this was down to the pain of defeat, or the assertion that Bobby was staying on, no clue.

Mancini told them to believe it will be us next time.

I would find it astonishing if there was any U-turn on this based on the definitive way they made things out so plainly.
Thanks for that TH because making Europe is a huge step from 10th last season, I'm gutted after last night, I shouldn't be really but the board seem to be sending out a strong message that everything is ok.

tolmie's hairdoo said:

EVERYONE was congratulated, and thanked for giving the fans and the owner a season of rich promise.

EVERYONE was told nothing will divert them from their path of making us the very best

EVERYONE was told they have a future at City if they want it, and promised exciting things ahead this summer and some things were well progressed.

Most notably, EVERYONE was told Mancini will still be the manager.

Some of the players found it refereshing, others not so. Whether this was down to the pain of defeat, or the assertion that Bobby was staying on, no clue.

Mancini told them to believe it will be us next time.

I would find it astonishing if there was any U-turn on this based on the definitive way they made things out so plainly.

Excellent news.

Mind you, I did tell you about four months ago that this was what would happen... ;}

mark ogden's been briefed:

<a class="postlink" href="http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/markogden/100007872/roberto-mancini-ready-to-ride-the-storm-at-manchester-city/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mark ... ster-city/</a>
Manchester City’s failure to qualify for the Champions League will lead to a summer clear-out at Eastlands but, crucially, the axe is likely to be wielded by Roberto Mancini rather than his ambitious bosses.

Having seen Tottenham emerge from the City of Manchester Stadium with a deserved 1-0 victory that secures a top four finish for Harry Redknapp’s team, Mancini entered his post-match press conference on Wednesday evening knowing exactly what was coming his way.

Do you expect to be in charge of City at the start of next season?

Surprisingly, it was the second question, rather than the first, but when you manage Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan’s Manchester City, that kind of impatient probing goes with the terrain.

Whatever the rights or wrongs of the dismissal of Mark Hughes as manager last December, the Welshman could never argue that he failed to receive total backing from Abu Dhabi when it came to the transfer market.

Inherited as the appointment of the previous regime, Hughes was never Sheikh Mansour’s man, but he was certainly given the time to make his mark.

Some will argue he was on course to do that, others will point to the alarming loss of form in the autumn that saw City draw at home to the might of Burnley and Hull City, two teams who have since been relegated by some distance.

But the key factor in Hughes’s dismissal was that the sheikh and his advisors had identified a malaise that the manager appeared unable to eradicate.

Out he went and in came Mancini, but despite the storm clouds gathering over Eastlands in the wake of City’s failure to deliver the Champions League, the Italian’s position is not under threat.

He will be given the time and money this summer to transform his team and install the players he believes can take City to the next level.

In January, his only transfer window so far, Mancini was restricted to signing only Patrick Vieira on a free and Adam Johnson from Middlesbrough for £7m.

Johnson has been an outstanding success – even if he was identified by City’s football administrator, Brian Marwood – while Vieira has shown glimpses of the experience he was brought in to add.

Clearly, Mancini has not yet had the advantage of Sheikh Mansour’s transfer market muscle, but he will be given that this summer.

And that is why the Eastlands clear-out will be masterminded by Mancini rather than the sheikh. The faces need to change, but only on the pitch.

Against Spurs on Wednesday, only Carlos Tevez truly resembled the kind of top-class player that City will need if they are to play in the Champions League.

City were outplayed and outclassed by a Spurs team that has grown together over the past two years. The time and patience afforded to manager Harry Redknapp showed through as his team comfortably overcame City.

Mancini knows City lack top-level experience and nous. When he recruits this summer, he will be looking for the players who will add the missing ingredients.

So that can only spell bad news for the likes of Shaun Wright-Phillips, Micah Richards, Stephen Ireland and Nedum Onuoha.

All four have come through the ranks at Eastlands – Wright-Phillips has since enjoyed a spell at Chelsea – but their reputations have not been matched by their deeds.

They proved to be great players as City challenged for a top ten finish under previous regimes, but they just do not match up to the club’s new ambitions.

None are good enough for the Champions League. Wright-Phillips proved his own short-comings at that level at Chelsea.

They were all good for their time at Eastlands, but time has moved on. It may also move on for the expensively-acquired Gareth Barry, Kolo Toure and Wayne Bridge. Perhaps Craig Bellamy too.

All are good Premier League footballers, but none are likely to worry opponents in the Champions League.

Yes, City are now looking ahead to the Europa League next season, but they will be building for the next level. Mancini will not be signing players who can perform in the Europa League.

City’s ambitions demand that and Mancini, a Champions League manager at Inter, knows what it takes.

But for those who still doubt Mancini’s future and believe Hughes was treated shabbily, just bear in mind the following numbers.

When Hughes sat down with chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak at the start of the season, a target of 70 points for the season was agreed as the minimum requirement – the magic number for Champions League qualification.

On Hughes’s dismissal, City had collected 29 points from 17 games, claiming an average of 1.7 points a game. Projected over a season, Hughes’s team was on course to collect 65 points.

Mancini, on the other hand, has delivered 37 points from 20 games in charge, an average of 1.85 a game.

Projected over a season, that would bring 70.3 points.

City will end the campaign on 69 points if they beat West Ham on Sunday, one short of the 70 point target.

Had Mancini been recruited earlier, City might just have made it to the Champions League after all.

this is a great video of the press conference.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/sportvideo/footballvideo/7683767/Robert-Mancini-insists-he-will-be-Manchester-City-manager-next-season.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/sportv ... eason.html</a>

make of it all what you will.

I notice he said 'I don't know' & 'I haven't been told'. But he wasn't lying when he said he thought he would be, IMO. He's smiling at the reporter, raises his eyebrow and says, 'why not'?, he seems to think the press get carried away a bit..... btw you can see he's lying when he says 'we did a good season', touches his face, and he's downright disgusted at not being in the champs league. from the next segment there's no doubt in my mind he's thinking hard about next season and the players who might come and go. he did look a touch uncomfortable at times but overall I found it pretty convincing .

tolmie's hairdoo said:

EVERYONE was told they have a future at City if they want it,
I find that very difficult to believe. Not saying they weren't told that but we all know that quite a few aren't up to it and will have to go.
As Mark Ogden says in the Telegraph:
Manchester City’s failure to qualify for the Champions League will lead to a summer clear-out at Eastlands but, crucially, the axe is likely to be wielded by Roberto Mancini rather than his ambitious bosses.

Petetheblu said:
Lets hope that Bob is quick to bring in a quality playmaker, two or three world-class defenders and another class striker.

The defence has well and truly under performed this season.

Love to know who was upset in the dressing room by the news that Bobby is staying?

A couple of the names won't come as a surprise - they are well documented previously, for a variety of issues.

Now either the directors have been given a mandate to do what they did, or things are are even more fragmented than feared, and the owner will make everyone look stupid.

Interesting stuff, cheers for that TH.

As long as the people that matter continue to be kept informed that's good enough for me.

I remember you saying a few weeks ago that certain things going on behind the scenes could well prevent us from getting 4th and maybe that was true in the end.

There has to be an unshakeable faith, belief and team spirit behind reaching an end goal, as we saw from 'appy 'arry and his lot last night.

It's obvious not everyone taps into Mancini's philosophy.<br /><br />-- Thu May 06, 2010 10:26 am --<br /><br />Interesting stuff, cheers for that TH.

As long as the people that matter continue to be kept informed that's good enough for me.

I remember you saying a few weeks ago that certain things going on behind the scenes could well prevent us from getting 4th and maybe that was true in the end.

There has to be an unshakeable faith, belief and team spirit behind reaching an end goal, as we saw from 'appy 'arry and his lot last night.

It's obvious not everyone taps into Mancini's philosophy.

Prestwich_Blue said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

I find that very difficult to believe. Not saying they weren't told that but we all know that quite a few aren't up to it and will have to go.

That goes without saying, mate. But the whole premise of addressing the rank and file was basically, 'get on board, or fook off.'

This was not lost on various members of the squad.

There are those who will deem us now not good enough for them, and others who Bobby does not deem good enough for him...

Everyone should expect squad outgoings of at least TEN.

Prestwich_Blue said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

It's management-speak.

It's a way of rallying the troops.

Just read between the lines... "Everyone was told they have a future at City IF THEY WANT IT..." which means, simply, if you're happy sat on the bench or in the reserves, that's your call.

Or it means they have to come up to the mark and prove "they want it".

I wouldn't get too tied down with the semantics. The axe is being sharpened as we speak...

If that was the case we would need incomings of the same amount. The squad isn't big enough as it stands to undergo a European campaign.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.