The Album Review Club - Week #125 - (page 1524) - Listen Like Thieves - INXS

Wasn’t me although I already knew them but hadn’t heard the live album. Loved it though, still regretting I didn’t go and see them at the Piece Hall in Halifax a year or so ago, only found out at short notice they were on there.

Just googled that and the two nights in Liverpool are while we are away in Norfolk. Destined not to get to see them by the looks of things.
They seem to have pretty much sold out Liverpool and the two nights at the RAH. Pity there aren’t more dates.

After hearing both, it's more than a strong suspicion to me. Radiohead wrote HtDC in June 1997 while on tour for OK Computer, but that is the same year that this album came out.

Those songs are just too similar and I'm quite shocked I can't find any notes about one being a rip off of the other. If there's a backstory or otherwise I'm not aware of, then I'm all ears on this one. I find it heard to believe Michael Head hasn't heard the song (and a single!) from Kid A 3 years later, with the same music, albeit the lyrics are completely different, and not had deja vu on Loaded Man.

Great observation, all the same.

Oxfordshires finest noodler's in "borrowing" controversy, you could have knocked me down with a feather!

(Interior dialogue kicks in gollum style...

S: you promised after last weeks we's never have to think about the unprecious again...

G: but theys annoying twatsies who have to be slagged off at every opportunities

S: but now they's living rent free in our headsies, it's not healthful

etc etc)

I've never heard of this band before and I wasn't too sure what to expect.

The opening track was brilliant, right up my street. Really nice vibe to it and instantly catchy. Whilst the other tracks didn't hit the heights of the first the whole album was very good.

I've only managed one listen but I will definitely going back for more from them and I'll be digging through the back catalogue too.

it's always nice to find a gold nugget,be specially from a band you've not heard of before.

this is a great pick and just what's needed to take my mind off the Cup final!

9/10

After last week, where I was on this thread and writing my review for hours, and given the holiday in America this week, and the events of the last few days, I don’t have to energy to spend a lot of time here, so forgive me.

I didn’t hear anything on this record that grabbed and shook me though it was pleasantish enough. More “sit down and listen” music, a little 60s folky, smoky club lilt, but what would be on in a Starbucks today. And, let’s face it — if you’re honest, it’s boring. Like some other stuff we’ve had, it’s Sunday AM with a coffee and paper music. My dog liked it. She fell asleep instantly, though that might have been because of the long walk we were on before I listened. Anyhow, “X Hits The Spot” was my favo(u)rite and the first three minutes of “And Luna” til it devolves into misplaced cacophony. Nothing to hate, nothing to love, and little to like. 4/10 with a hope the next record ups our BMP count.

If I was more of a showman, I’d say “Noted, locked and loaded.”

The truth is, my next selection was decided at the same time as my Bruce Hornsby selection and it was a toss of the coin as to which came first.
I have two write-ups ready for my next and two in process. Don’t know if I’ll use any of them. TBF we had ABC not that long ago and that was a “get up and move” record. I was so irritated by RH I went on a writing bender among records that it sounds the least like. Almost assuredly my next record will finally break the streak I’ve had of no Top 1,100 records though. I have an all-time classic, an early 90s pick, a late 90s pick and an early 2000s one. I’ll be ready this time!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.