The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Think about NYC, or imagine, say, Atlanta or Nashville in the 60s. Not exactly fertile territory for surf music. Escapist but perceived as a fad I think — and then The Beatles came, took over the universe like the Roman legions, and nothing else mattered. Then psychedelia happened — and San Francisco was in vogue. By the time The Beatles broke up the damage was done and easy listening and British “hard rock” were in. By that time The Beach Boys were vestiges of a bygone era or perceived as such.
You see we have such different terms of reference. Think about Nashville in the 60s? Other than thinking Johnny Cash and Elvis, nothing much springs to mind. I would have thought the obvious ‘borrowing’ between Pet Sounds and Revolver/SGT Pepper would have kept an American audience interested but maybe not. There is a discussion to be had about our respective musical heritages and where the blind spots and commonalities lie. Probably not for this thread though. An interesting exercise might be to tag what we were listening to by age 15-20, 20-25 etc and decade on both sides of the pond. I’m sure it would throw up some interesting stuff.

I mentioned I had created a playlist of the best 20 albums from this thread to dazzle my fishing friends with my ultra cool musical sophistication. When Rush came on and Geddy Lee started singing, everyone fell about laughing. I had to put JJ Cale on to calm the buggers down.
Just saying.
For gods sake, don't play them Radiohead....they'll tie a brick around their neck, and jump in!
Just saying ;)

Think about NYC, or imagine, say, Atlanta or Nashville in the 60s. Not exactly fertile territory for surf music. Escapist but perceived as a fad I think — and then The Beatles came, took over the universe like the Roman legions, and nothing else mattered. Then psychedelia happened — and San Francisco was in vogue. By the time The Beatles broke up the damage was done and easy listening and British “hard rock” were in. By that time The Beach Boys were vestiges of a bygone era or perceived as such.
I have read Fog that one of my favourite albums "Love - Forever Changes" (an LA band) was pretty much ignored stateside but in the UK it was much revered (and still is).

So was Hendrix :)

You see we have such different terms of reference. Think about Nashville in the 60s? Other than thinking Johnny Cash and Elvis, nothing much springs to mind. I would have thought the obvious ‘borrowing’ between Pet Sounds and Revolver/SGT Pepper would have kept an American audience interested but maybe not. There is a discussion to be had about our respective musical heritages and where the blind spots and commonalities lie. Probably not for this thread though. An interesting exercise might be to tag what we were listening to by age 15-20, 20-25 etc and decade on both sides of the pond. I’m sure it would throw up some interesting stuff.
I'm a long time fan of Barclay James Harvest. Huge in some European countries like Germany but largely ignored in the UK. No idea why.

Just for the avoidance of doubt I would never (other than in jest and even then I would be circumspect) dare to really frown upon someone else's music tastes, I might offer an opinion on an artist from my viewpoint but if music brings joy into someone's life then what I think of it matters not one jot. Without going into detail, let's just say I've got first hand experience of how the very simplest of music can bring great joy into people's lives.

People's taste in football teams, now that's another matter entirely :-)
I did mean the music as opposed to the individual TS so apologies for the ambiguity of sorts.

I always try to separate the music from the musician albeit many with some sound reason would conflate the two,

I don't consider it a reflection on the person if someone doesn't appreciate a particular piece of music they have constructed or a piece of music they adore etc but I know that others do.

They are not underappreciated in Oz but perhaps its not known so much world wide how much influence Brian Wilson had on Australian bands that went well beyond the Sandman vehicle , surf and girls with blonde hair.

As you say Fog , God Only Knows is a classic on so many levels it would easily and so it should win hands down a future edition of a Blue Moon Cup despite the great music on the 70's , 80's and even the 90's to measure it by.

OK COMPUTER

As I previously mentioned I bought this back when it was released on the back of ‘The Bends’which I liked. back then it didn’t really grab me, so it was useful to listen to it again.My first observation is that I didn’t think Thom York’s vocals were as depressing then as I do now, and I like my dour lyrics . I was’nt that invested in the album that I studied the lyrics the first time either.
It’s a protest album of sorts but give me Woody Guthrie, Dylan ,Marvin Gaye ,Neil Young ,Steve Earle et all any day.i don’t see Jonny Greenwood’s guitar killing facists.
There are some good songs on here others not so much.
Karma Police, No Suprises, Airbag ,Paranoid Android and Subterranean Homesick Alien
Fitter Happier I couldn’t stand, I think it was included to make them sound cleverer and more experimental.Others like Let Down, Climbing up,walls ,just washed over me.

It’s not a bad album but it doesn’t deserve the hype, were they really the Pink Flory of the 90s? I much prefer ‘The Bends’ but I’venot listened to that in years and this hasn’t made be want to either.

It’s just Ok

6/10

I'm a long time fan of Barclay James Harvest. Huge in some European countries like Germany but largely ignored in the UK. No idea why.
I think Hendrix originally broke in the UK and it was only after his recognition here that he gained popularity in the States.

Really Bill? BJH? You will be telling me you like Camel next ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.