The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

It's been a great round though with lots that we didn't manage to even get to. Your little interchange with @FogBlueInSanFran about the value or otherwise of mopery is a thread on its own but I'm parking my thoughts on that till my next pick where I hope to convince Foggy of the cathartic value of at least some moping and that hopefulness is at its most beautiful when it's been tempered by but overcomes the dark shadow of despair !

Oh btw - you referenced comedy as the analogy to explain your point, I'm now that bit more convinced you are in fact Limmy.

Ha, imagine him being a blue! Na I'd never parade my own like I've been putting up his.

Speaking of.. Here’s his Thom Yorke impression

This album is a bit like a good niche joke, that someone has to explain to you. Yeah you will then realise it is clever, sophisticated, and funny. But the moment is long gone, and forcing yourself to laugh now is just a bit too awkward.
Two nuns cycling down a cobbled street......

That's the end of a fantastic week of discussion in the Album Review Club. Plenty of comments for and against and some healthy debate. Radiohead's OK Computer saw scores from a few visitors and also the return of @Bill Walker and @Saddleworth2, all of whom were welcome.

@BlueHammer85 took some flack with one of his albums selection for picking an "obvious" album, but like a few of @OB1 's selections, this week has demonstrated that occasionally, it is good to feature and album that many are familiar with. I'm sure we'll do an Editor's choice at some point in the future, but coming up with a selection to match this may be tricky,

But the crucial question is how did it fare? Well, 20 people cast their vote giving OK Computer an average of 6.44.
This makes it slighter better than New Order, Joni Mitchell and Bedrick Smetana but not quite up to the level of Rory Gallagher, Tindersticks and Midnight Oil.

Is the album overrated by the Colin Larkinites of this world? I think the facts and figures presented by our week of bunfighting answer that question.

The Magical World of the Strands - Michael Head & The Strands

MichaelHead.jpg

This week's selection brings round #8 to a close and comes courtesy of @shackattack

Here's what he had to say about this album:-

So many albums I could have chosen but I'll go with a more obvious one. Mainly as it was a mention of the Pale Fountains that brought me to this thread.
Fast forward a decade or so and I'm living in Devon and pop into my local Our Price shop and see a specific album on the racks.
Intrigued I look and it's on a little known French label and I see it's Mick and his brother John. Essentially a Shack album in everything but name. Mick doing what I believe he does best - reminiscing and taking us on a journey of sunlight and summers, grey days , big skies and winters. X hits the spot obviously is a reference to his drug taking years, Something Like You about a love encountered.
To his latest release last week of Loophole his music has remained a constant in my life. Met Noel Gallagher when he was on his record label through him. There are even times I can forgive him for being a Liverpool fan !!

"God Only Knows" was in my matchday squad for this year's cup but somehow didn't make the last 5.

Looks like it might be a mistake on my part.
I voted for it each and every time it was up. Not knowing whose song it was. I'll remind myself of this factoid when mine crash and burn.

And yes, there was a mistake, but I'll confirm on your last sentence you don't really mean that it wasn't on your part. Well done.

The Magical World of the Strands - Michael Head & The Strands

View attachment 119982

This week's selection brings round #8 to a close and comes courtesy of @shackattack

Here's what he had to say about this album:-

So many albums I could have chosen but I'll go with a more obvious one. Mainly as it was a mention of the Pale Fountains that brought me to this thread.
Fast forward a decade or so and I'm living in Devon and pop into my local Our Price shop and see a specific album on the racks.
Intrigued I look and it's on a little known French label and I see it's Mick and his brother John. Essentially a Shack album in everything but name. Mick doing what I believe he does best - reminiscing and taking us on a journey of sunlight and summers, grey days , big skies and winters. X hits the spot obviously is a reference to his drug taking years, Something Like You about a love encountered.
To his latest release last week of Loophole his music has remained a constant in my life. Met Noel Gallagher when he was on his record label through him. There are even times I can forgive him for being a Liverpool fan !!
Mick's best work. A fantastic album

Have a head start on this weeks pick as I had a listen to it when we did The Pale Fountains a few weeks back. First impressions were good but now it's dissection time!
(Or you never know I might just simply have a sing along to it)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.