The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

It comes down to opinion. A song could rip off another and it may be the opionion of whoever decides the case that it didn't. Or it could be coincidental or subconscious, but the opinion that it is copying another. Winning/losing a plagiarism case means simply that, they get money or they don't. It doesn't 'prove' anything though, not unless as part of the process someone actually admits to it.
I can remember hearing Supersonic for the first time and thought the New Seekers.
It was so obvious I burst out laughing at the time.
Still a great song though.

Jokes aside how Tommy Emmanuel isn't in the top 10 let alone top 50 is somewhat bizarre.

Finger picking good to quote Colonial Sanders.

I might be a tad parochial but Chet Atkins labelled him the best guitarist on the planet and that is enough for me.

Like all masters of their craft he would want to cover a master piece on guitar namely Classical Gas.

For those on here that by some chance haven't had the pleasure of listening to him I suggest you check him out.

I’m guessing TE wasn’t well known enough or considered influential enough. Must confess that I have never really paid him much attention but I am aware of how highly people rate him.

Truth is there are / have been loads of very fine guitarists over the years, and technically there a “kids” these days that can shred like nobodies business; Rolling Stone have clearly looked beyond technical ability and factored in body of work, influence and originality.

I still think they have Chuck Berry way too high and excluding the guy who, among other things, wrote the riff that everyone played in guitar shops for years is perverse; he’s also the most exciting performer I’ve seen live, and I’ve seen plenty, including at least 19 of the 50 R/S came up with. They presumably included Tony Iommi because he is one of the great riff writers but left out the other…

BlueHammer has hit the nail on the head.

Definition of mumble:-

say something indistinctly and quietly making it difficult for others to hear.

That is not the very definition of what Liam G is doing. You might think he has an awful voice or stretches his vowels in a stupid way, but he certainly doesn't mumble.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, but I don't wan to derail the album discussion.

He mumbles. Always has. It is a 'style' thing, and a choice. He might not mean to, but the very act of winchin' the mic as he does, results in a mumble.

Definitely Maybe - Oasis

The first time that I heard Oasis was courtesy of a free CD that came with Q magazine in the Autumn of 1994. I was 26 years-old for the pollsters . Same CD that included a track from Grant Lee Buffalo, so that was an influential issue. Having said that, whilst Grant Lee Buffalo remains in my all-time top 20, Oasis is nowhere near it. It took me a while to get around to buying Definitely Maybe and after buying the first three albums, I just let the band drift quietly noisily away.

The track on that Q sampler was “Slide Away”, and as @BlueHammer85 says, it’s an amazing track. Whilst I’m not too fussed on the opener or “Shakermaker”, the album really gets going with “Live Forever”. From this point, it’s a brilliant six-song run. A couple of average tracks bracketing the magnificent “Slide Away” and you have an album that’s definitely got more going for it than against it. Maybe. You're saying definitely maybe, I'm saying probably no - bonus points if somebody can name the artist and song there.

What I like about Definitely Maybe is the sound of the guitars, and whilst Liam Gallagher’s vocals are not everybody’s cup of tea, in my position of Chairman of the Association of Anti-British Indie Mumblers, have this to say: he doesn’t hold back, he gives it his all, goes for it and communicates with his audience. He’s not the best singer, but he's better than 99% of the indie mob.

The strength of this album is in the consistency of the songs. “Live Forever”, “Supersonic” and “Slide Away” are all classics but when you have songs like “Up in the Sky”, “Columbia”, “Bring it on Down” and “Cigarettes and Alcohol” in the support slots, you are doing something right. I also think Noel Gallagher is a decent songwriter; I respectfully disagree with Bill in that the songs are too simple. Many Creedence Clearwater Revival songs have a simple chord structure, but for me are some of the defining moments of late 60s music. However, you can’t ignore that Noel is a bit of a musical Dick Turpin.

I own this album but it’s not one I play often, and it wouldn’t be in my top 100, but it is a very good listen. So, throwing all of this into the score blender, I’m going to give it 8.5/10.

Nothing wrong with simple music.

Well if it’s just rock ‘n’ roll.

In that context, yea. In the context of Oasis, the phenomenon. There is a lot wrong with it.

I think we are verging on a similar theme around Radiohead and acclaim maybe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.