The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

I really do.

I find most songs on MG just so ‘poppy’ and basic, also overplayed. I struggle to listen to Wonderwall, She’s Electric and Champagne Supernova nowadays - they went full Pop which for me was a bit disappointing in hindsight , but can’t really blame them for cashing in.

Whereas Definitely Maybe and there B Sides around this time sound were more loud, raw, heavy, bit more indie and psychedelic (Columbia/Supersonic/Bring It On Down) but ultimately more authentic- which is understandable considering Noel was writing these songs growing up poor in a council estate - by the time Morning Glory come about he was sipping champagne with Tony Blair.

I think die hard Oasis fans would go with DM but general music fans would go with MG.

Also, even if not a fan of theirs - the ‘Supersonic’ documentary film on Netflix is a really good watch.

I don't like either album. But I agree with this, DM is the better album. It also as their debut is fresher, and purer.

And doesn't come with the accrued side shit that surrounds them and is ultimately what makes them both so popular and unpopular.

He may be a good frontman. He is not a good singer though. And better than 99% of britrish 'indie' singers? Aye ok.

“I’ve mellowed, but not in the sense of liking Radiohead or Coldplay.”​

Liam Gallagher in Munich, March 1996

“I see myself as one of the f**king true great rock’n’roll singers on the planet.”​

He may be a good frontman. He is not a good singer though. And better than 99% of britrish 'indie' singers? Aye ok.
OK, 99% is an exaggeration - let's go with 90%. He doesn't mumble into the mic which immediately puts him into the top 10%.

I cannot stress enough that this is what amazes me about the popularity of UK indie music. Most of the singers just can't sing or don't seem to want to communicate, with Ian Brown being the torchbearer (in the negative sense, that is). Most of these singers don't "go for it" with the mic in their hands.

OK, 99% is an exaggeration - let's go with 90%. He doesn't mumble into the mic which immediately puts him into the top 10%.

I cannot stress enough that this is what amazes me about the popularity of UK indie music. Most of the singers just can't sing or don't seem to want to communicate, with Ian Brown being the torchbearer (in the negative sense, that is). Most of these singers don't "go for it" with the mic in their hands.

He doesn't mumble into the mic? Ok now you are just wumming lol. That's literally his trademark.

He doesn't mumble into the mic? Ok now you are just wumming lol. That's literally his trademark.

No, i get what he means. You clearly hear the words Liam is belting out, whereas Stone Roses, Radiohead, Arcade Fire etc have frontmen that sing in a way that it's quite hard to work out the lyrics. Never bothered me either way to be fair.

No, i get what he means. You clearly hear the words Liam is belting out, whereas Stone Roses, Radiohead, Arcade Fire etc have frontmen that sing in a way that it's quite hard to work out the lyrics. Never bothered me either way to be fair.

I disagree.

And apart of some of arcade fire, none are bands I like or feel the need to 'defend', it is more a comment on Liam's singing. He is a mic-mumbler as well.

I disagree.

And apart of some of arcade fire, none are bands I like or feel the need to 'defend', it is more a comment on Liam's singing. He is a mic-mumbler as well.
BlueHammer has hit the nail on the head.

Definition of mumble:-

say something indistinctly and quietly making it difficult for others to hear.

That is not the very definition of what Liam G is doing. You might think he has an awful voice or stretches his vowels in a stupid way, but he certainly doesn't mumble.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, but I don't wan to derail the album discussion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.