The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Not sure it is an age thing. You either like them or you don't. I know cunts of all ages that really dislike them, and that love them.

I'm a young 53 ;)

Im 66. I listened to this back in 94 when I will have been 37. I remember it made me feel young again. Still Love Oasis.

Yeah, what I wrote's clearly wide of the mark but your responses have got me thinking about it all a bit more. Including about my own "inner lad" which was never that strong anyway and had definitely gone awol in 94. This album is juvenile, and I don't mean that in a perjorative sense, it's an observation and possilbly even a compliment. I remain a bit juvenile to this day but in a very different way to this, which is in part why, though I don't mind it, I don't really connect with it the way others do.

Yes it’s so obvious that it copied the same melody that I hear it as just a different light hearted take rather than try and I hide some sort of plagiarism- I mentioned it in my review as I knew someone would highlight it - believe really that’s the only one on here, although I’m sure there’s examples of other tunes they may have nicked from previous - then again it is easy to take any song from any band and compare it with a song from previous -considering there’s billions of songs been made.
I would say the biggest rip-off on the album is "Cigarettes & Alchohol" which is basically T-Rex's "Get it On".

However, I do agree with you point in general. There's only 8 notes and all that. In fact, it amazes me that we still have space for original music these days! All the best riffs must have been done already.

Definitely Maybe - Oasis

The first time that I heard Oasis was courtesy of a free CD that came with Q magazine in the Autumn of 1994. I was 26 years-old for the pollsters . Same CD that included a track from Grant Lee Buffalo, so that was an influential issue. Having said that, whilst Grant Lee Buffalo remains in my all-time top 20, Oasis is nowhere near it. It took me a while to get around to buying Definitely Maybe and after buying the first three albums, I just let the band drift quietly noisily away.

The track on that Q sampler was “Slide Away”, and as @BlueHammer85 says, it’s an amazing track. Whilst I’m not too fussed on the opener or “Shakermaker”, the album really gets going with “Live Forever”. From this point, it’s a brilliant six-song run. A couple of average tracks bracketing the magnificent “Slide Away” and you have an album that’s definitely got more going for it than against it. Maybe. You're saying definitely maybe, I'm saying probably no - bonus points if somebody can name the artist and song there.

What I like about Definitely Maybe is the sound of the guitars, and whilst Liam Gallagher’s vocals are not everybody’s cup of tea, in my position of Chairman of the Association of Anti-British Indie Mumblers, have this to say: he doesn’t hold back, he gives it his all, goes for it and communicates with his audience. He’s not the best singer, but he's better than 99% of the indie mob.

The strength of this album is in the consistency of the songs. “Live Forever”, “Supersonic” and “Slide Away” are all classics but when you have songs like “Up in the Sky”, “Columbia”, “Bring it on Down” and “Cigarettes and Alcohol” in the support slots, you are doing something right. I also think Noel Gallagher is a decent songwriter; I respectfully disagree with Bill in that the songs are too simple. Many Creedence Clearwater Revival songs have a simple chord structure, but for me are some of the defining moments of late 60s music. However, you can’t ignore that Noel is a bit of a musical Dick Turpin.

I own this album but it’s not one I play often, and it wouldn’t be in my top 100, but it is a very good listen. So, throwing all of this into the score blender, I’m going to give it 8.5/10.

I would say the biggest rip-off on the album is "Cigarettes & Alchohol" which is basically T-Rex's "Get it On".

However, I do agree with you point in general. There's only 8 notes and all that. In fact, it amazes me that we still have space for original music these days! All the best riffs must have been done already.

There are 12 notes in music bud.

'Western' music that is

Yeah, what I wrote's clearly wide of the mark but your responses have got me thinking about it all a bit more. Including about my own "inner lad" which was never that strong anyway and had definitely gone awol in 94. This album is juvenile, and I don't mean that in a perjorative sense, it's an observation and possilbly even a compliment. I remain a bit juvenile to this day but in a very different way to this, which is in part why, though I don't mind it, I don't really connect with it the way others do.
I don't mind admitting that they bring out the juvenile in me. Liam in particular, his delivery, persona, the swagger all of which isn't a natural fit for my personality. And they were blues...
From someone that grew up listening to the John Mclaughlin Mahivishnu Orchestra, the music was simplistic and obvious, the lyrics dire, but, I still loved them.
I still amuse my granddaughters by adopting a Manc accent and the Liam swagger. "oh Grandpa, you are so silly".

They got that right.

There are 12 notes in music bud.

'Western' music that is
Ha ha. I had actually types 12 and then deleted it because I couldn't remember whether it was 12 or 13.

Anyway, the original 8 now goes up to 10 - according to Holly from Red Dwarf, he added "boh" and "woh" to form the 10-note musical scale.

I don't mind admitting that they bring out the juvenile in me. Liam in particular, his delivery, persona, the swagger all of which isn't a natural fit for my personality. And they were blues...
From someone that grew up listening to the John Mclaughlin Mahivishnu Orchestra, the music was simplistic and obvious, the lyrics dire, but, I still loved them.
I still amuse my granddaughters by adopting a Manc accent and the Liam swagger. "oh Grandpa, you are so silly".

They got that right.

My family piss themselves if I do my Liam impression ; the least manc manc in the world I think is the phrase they use.

Definitely Maybe - Oasis

The first time that I heard Oasis was courtesy of a free CD that came with Q magazine in the Autumn of 1994. I was 26 years-old for the pollsters . Same CD that included a track from Grant Lee Buffalo, so that was an influential issue. Having said that, whilst Grant Lee Buffalo remains in my all-time top 20, Oasis is nowhere near it. It took me a while to get around to buying Definitely Maybe and after buying the first three albums, I just let the band drift quietly noisily away.

The track on that Q sampler was “Slide Away”, and as @BlueHammer85 says, it’s an amazing track. Whilst I’m not too fussed on the opener or “Shakermaker”, the album really gets going with “Live Forever”. From this point, it’s a brilliant six-song run. A couple of average tracks bracketing the magnificent “Slide Away” and you have an album that’s definitely got more going for it than against it. Maybe. You're saying definitely maybe, I'm saying probably no - bonus points if somebody can name the artist and song there.

What I like about Definitely Maybe is the sound of the guitars, and whilst Liam Gallagher’s vocals are not everybody’s cup of tea, in my position of Chairman of the Association of Anti-British Indie Mumblers, have this to say: he doesn’t hold back, he gives it his all, goes for it and communicates with his audience. He’s not the best singer, but he's better than 99% of the indie mob.

The strength of this album is in the consistency of the songs. “Live Forever”, “Supersonic” and “Slide Away” are all classics but when you have songs like “Up in the Sky”, “Columbia”, “Bring it on Down” and “Cigarettes and Alcohol” in the support slots, you are doing something right. I also think Noel Gallagher is a decent songwriter; I respectfully disagree with Bill in that the songs are too simple. Many Creedence Clearwater Revival songs have a simple chord structure, but for me are some of the defining moments of late 60s music. However, you can’t ignore that Noel is a bit of a musical Dick Turpin.

I own this album but it’s not one I play often, and it wouldn’t be in my top 100, but it is a very good listen. So, throwing all of this into the score blender, I’m going to give it 8.5/10.

He may be a good frontman. He is not a good singer though. And better than 99% of britrish 'indie' singers? Aye ok.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.