The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Now I did not know that.
Whilst we are on the subject of T Bone Burnett, I have just found out that he produced a new album I've been listening to for the last couple of weeks. Adia Victoria is a new artist to me but anybody who likes that spooky, haunting Southern sound that he does so well would do well to check out the appropriately named A Southern Gothic.

I'm a bit of a simple soul at heart and as such I tend to see most things black and white with not many shades of grey in-between. I either like something or I don't. I can't always explain why because I often just simply don't know. I love sprouts but hate broccoli. No idea why. One just tastes good to me while the other doesn't. It's the same with music for me.

I both admire and envy those who are able to write these wonderful reviews on this and the other thread. I wish I could do it but I can't. I probably could with classical music and opera as I feel on more solid ground with those but not with rock/pop etc. I just don't have the musical education in those genres to feel able to write a deep and meaningful analysis.

None of this relates specifically to this album but is just a general note that will probably apply to most of the reviews I write. It isn't because I don't want or am too lazy to write an insightful review. I just don't feel able to.

Anyway, to the album in question.

John Mellencamp is a name that I have heard frequently over the years but I am not aware of having ever heard any of his music before (and after a couple of listens to this album, I'm pretty sure I have never heard any of these tracks before). I guess I associated the name with American rock (similar to Springsteen and Petty) which really isn't the kind of music I would normally listen to but I tried to be as open-minded as possible.

I listened on Spotify and when I do that, I tend to listen to the one that has had the most plays first as presumably that is the most popular/standout track. I then work my way through in album in descending order of popularity. On the 2nd listen, I work through it in the order it is presented on the album.

This meant that my first ever John Mellencamp track was Cherry Bomb which had 4 times the plays of the 2nd most popular. I must admit to being a bit surprised by it. It was perhaps a bit softer rock than I expected and pleasant enough to listen to but not something I would have expected to be a standout track on a highly regarded album. Paper in Fire was again pleasant enough to listen to but nothing special. So it continued as I progressed through the album. Nothing that really made me sit up and take notice but nothing that really made me want to skip to the next song. Funnily enough, my favourite track was the last one (both chronologically and in terms of popularity) Blues from the Front Porch. It was the only one that really stood out for me and the only one that I could see myself playing again in future (and I'm not a huge blues fan).

Maybe it's an album that would have grown on me with more than 2 listens but I doubt it. Neither sprouts nor broccoli to me. Something in between. One of those shades of grey that I don't often find.

I find it hard rating it. It is obviously an album that means something to a few on here, so I don't want to be too harsh. I'm sure it is a fine example of its genre but it just isn't for me.

It would have been a 5 but Blues from the Front Porch just about pushes it up to a 6/10.

Last edited:
I'm a bit of a simple soul at heart and as such I tend to see most things black and white with not many shades of grey in-between. I either like something or I don't. I can't always explain why because I often just simply don't know. I love sprouts but hate broccoli. No idea why. One just tastes good to me while the other doesn't. It's the same with music for me.

I both admire and envy those who are able to write these wonderful reviews on this and the other thread. I wish I could do it but I can't. I probably could with classical music and opera as I feel on more solid ground with those but not with rock/pop etc. I just don't have the musical education in those genres to feel able to write a deep and meaningful analysis.

None of this relates specifically to this album but is just a general note that will probably apply to most of the reviews I write. It isn't because I don't want or am too lazy to write an insightful review. I just don't feel able to.

Anyway, to the album in question.

John Mellencamp is a name that I have heard frequently over the years but I am not aware of having ever heard any of his music before (and after a couple of listens to this album, I'm pretty sure I have never heard any of these tracks before). I guess I associated the name with American rock (similar to Springsteen and Petty) which really isn't the kind of music I would normally listen to but I tried to be as open-minded as possible.

I listened on Spotify and when I do that, I tend to listen to the one that has had the most plays first as presumably that is the most popular/standout track. I then work my way through in album in descending order of popularity. On the 2nd listen, I work through it in the order it is presented on the album.

This meant that my first ever John Mellencamp track was Cherry Bomb which had 4 times the plays of the 2nd most popular. I must admit to being a bit surprised by it. It was perhaps a bit softer rock than I expected and pleasant enough to listen to but not something I would have expected to be a standout track on a highly regarded album. Paper in Fire was again pleasant enough to listen to but nothing special. So it continued as I progressed through the album. Nothing that really made me sit up and take notice but nothing that really made me wanted to skip to the next song. Funnily enough, my favourite track was the last one (both chronologically and in terms of popularity) Blues from the Front Porch. It was the only one that really stood out for me and the only one that I could see myself playing again in future (and I'm not a huge blues fan).

Maybe it's an album that would grown on me with more than 2 listens but I doubt it. Neither sprouts nor broccoli to me. Something in between. One of those shades of grey that I don't often find.

I find it hard rating it. It is obviously an album that means something to a few on here, so I don't want to be too harsh. I'm sure it is a fine example of its genre but it just isn't for me.

It would have been a 5 but Blues from the Front Porch just about pushes it up to a 6/10.
Your review is eloquent enough for me. Funny that the bonus track has gained it an extra point all these years later! I did say in my opening spiel that it would be an album that wasn't for everybody so no shame in saying so if it's not your kind of music. Thanks for you contribution anyway, it's appreciated.

Whilst we are on the subject of T Bone Burnett, I have just found out that he produced a new album I've been listening to for the last couple of weeks. Adia Victoria is a new artist to me but anybody who likes that spooky, haunting Southern sound that he does so well would do well to check out the appropriately named A Southern Gothic.

Thanks, just remembered another reason why I like T Bone. He produced tomorrow is my turn by Rhiannon Giddens. A beautiful singer and an amazing album of blues, bluegrass and Americana. If you haven’t listened to her, check her out. every track is standout but I particularly like the vocals and production on ‘water boy’ and ‘tomorrow is my turn’. Hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

Thanks, just remembered another reason why I like T Bone. He produced tomorrow is my turn by Rhiannon Giddens. A beautiful singer and an amazing album of blues, bluegrass and Americana. If you haven’t listened to her, check her out. every track is standout but I particularly like the vocals and production on ‘water boy’ and ‘tomorrow is my turn’. Hairs on the back of the neck stuff.
Yes I have heard of Rhiannon Giddens but I don't think I've listened to a full album from her. I'll get a few albums up on Spotify.

I have to say that one of the very few benefits of the pandemic has been that working from home (I'm a software engineer), I have been able to listen to a lot of albums that I wouldn't have had time to listen to. And it also allows me to dip in and out of these forums on a regular basis!

I must admit, JCM wasn't someone I'd paid too much attention to before listening to the album. I'd heard Jack and Diane and liked the song and the lyrics were decent. For some reason though, I thought he was a one-hit wonder!

So, when I listened to the album I was quite surprised. I wouldn't say the music is quite to my taste, but it's like the Talk Talk one - one I will come back to. I do like that Americana kind of sound. The songs do have that "pub-in-Milwaukee-with-a-load-of-people-who-are-slightly-struggling-and-want-to-hear-some-upbeat-music-feel". I felt the next person who'd be playing in the bar that night would be Billy Joel, doing Piano Man! And I do like albums which leave you with that impression.

This is what makes this thread so good, it does throw up some new music that might have passed you by. It's not my favourite, but one I'll definitely play again in future.

It's a 7/10 for me.

I must admit, JCM wasn't someone I'd paid too much attention to before listening to the album. I'd heard Jack and Diane and liked the song and the lyrics were decent. For some reason though, I thought he was a one-hit wonder!

So, when I listened to the album I was quite surprised. I wouldn't say the music is quite to my taste, but it's like the Talk Talk one - one I will come back to. I do like that Americana kind of sound. The songs do have that "pub-in-Milwaukee-with-a-load-of-people-who-are-slightly-struggling-and-want-to-hear-some-upbeat-music-feel". I felt the next person who'd be playing in the bar that night would be Billy Joel, doing Piano Man! And I do like albums which leave you with that impression.

This is what makes this thread so good, it does throw up some new music that might have passed you by. It's not my favourite, but one I'll definitely play again in future.

It's a 7/10 for me.
Cheers. I think John Mellencamp struggles for recognition over here because, unlike Bruce Springsteen, he doesn't come over very often and play shows.

Cheers. I think John Mellencamp struggles for recognition over here because, unlike Bruce Springsteen, he doesn't come over very often and play shows.
I was thinking about which album I would select (when my time comes in a few weeks) and just wanted to confirm if there were any rules on choice. I jotted down my favourites and found some potential problems with all of them (probably due to my unusual taste in music):

Two or three are double albums and thus quite long. Maybe a bit unfair to subject people to a couple of listens of something so long that they might not enjoy.

A couple are either live or greatest hits. Perhaps this is also a bit unfair as they highlight the best of the bands, rather than their norm. A bit like basing an opinion of a football player on his YouTube highlights.

One is a genre that perhaps the majority won't enjoy (classical/opera).

A couple aren't in the English language so might not be very accessible to most listeners and obviously they wouldn't be able to comment on the lyrics.

A few are on the list from the other thread and so it wouldn't probably be good to have the same albums on both threads.

One I absolutely love but I suspect it would be hated by most.

Before deciding over the next weeks, I just wanted to check if any of the above would or should disqualify them from being chosen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.