The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

I know but I also don't want to torture people with my choice!! I suspect whichever I choose will end up with fewer points than anything else and I'm fine with that but would like listeners get something from it.

Ultimately it was more just trying to see if any rules/guidelines had been laid down that would preclude any choice.
Go with what you want KB. I've not volunteered to be a reviewer because I just don't know if I'd have the time to write up a decent enough synopsis when called up! However, that said, there are some albums/artists that I like that I would be interested to see how they are received by others - I might try writing some reviews in preparation. I'd love a classical album to review, by the way, or some jazz, I never listen to jazz.

I know but I also don't want to torture people with my choice!! I suspect whichever I choose will end up with fewer points than anything else and I'm fine with that but would like listeners get something from it.

Ultimately it was more just trying to see if any rules/guidelines had been laid down that would preclude any choice.
My choice will not be straightforward either mate. I just would like to bring some of the pleasure I have had from this album to others. If just one person listens to it and thinks ‘that is sublime’ that will be more than enough for me. It’s not a compo, it’s sharing things we love for the benefit of others so go for it.

Go with what you want KB. I've not volunteered to be a reviewer because I just don't know if I'd have the time to write up a decent enough synopsis when called up! However, that said, there are some albums/artists that I like that I would be interested to see how they are received by others - I might try writing some reviews in preparation. I'd love a classical album to review, by the way, or some jazz, I never listen to jazz.
I know you specifically said you didn’t want to nominate, and I respect that, but if it’s just a long synopsis putting you off, don’t let it.

You’ve been a great contributor in the Top 1000 thread and if you want to nominate on here and just literally say “this is my choice, I bought it in Xxxx and I love it” then that’s good enough.

We have 9 nominatiors so you’ve got plenty of time to think about it if you change your mind. But either way, no pressure, just commenting and voting is fine.

I have to say I found that trying to listen to all the tracks a real chore as I just didn't like the country/rock musical style at all. They seemed very samey to me and not one track stood out as 'that's not bad, actually'.

Tom Petty has been referenced by at least one poster as being similar in genre and though I'm not a huge fan of his there are several songs he released that I really like..in particular You Saw Me Comin'. There wasn't a single track on this album that made me want a second listen.

I don't want to appear mean to those that rate it as one of their all time favourite albums so I will award it a solid 3...

I have to say I found that trying to listen to all the tracks a real chore as I just didn't like the country/rock musical style at all. They seemed very samey to me and not one track stood out as 'that's not bad, actually'.

Tom Petty has been referenced by at least one poster as being similar in genre and though I'm not a huge fan of his there are several songs he released that I really like..in particular You Saw Me Comin'. There wasn't a single track on this album that made me want a second listen.

I don't want to appear mean to those that rate it as one of their all time favourite albums so I will award it a solid 3...
Very similar thoughts to mine.
I'm considering not reviewing it at all because I dont want to upset Rob, who I respect as a decent poster.
I consider the albums on the other thread as fair game, as they are randomly picked.
This is very different, they are someones favourite album, and often for personal reasons.
Maybe I just need to learn to be more diplomatic

No worries - you like what you like so that’s fair enough.
Very similar thoughts to mine.
I'm considering not reviewing it at all because I dont want to upset Rob, who I respect as a decent poster.
I consider the albums on the other thread as fair game, as they are randomly picked.
This is very different, they are someones favourite album, and often for personal reasons.
Maybe I just need to learn to be more diplomatic
Very kind words there, thank you. But listen, three people have given this a 10 (and obviously if I was voting it would be four of us). So if gets a few low scores, that’s fair. You won’t upset me - it is my favourite album and nothing anybody says will change my opinion, but I respect that people have different tastes so any opinion is welcome.

I do understand what you are saying about this thread being different. You are correct, there’s a good chance people are putting albums, in which they have years of emotional investment, up for potential slaughter! But as long as people are respectful and honest, that’s all we can ask.

John Cougar Mellencamp
Lonesome
Marks?????????

Another that I was really looking forward to listening to based on me never having knowingly listened to him / them before.

Top man @RobMCFC !

As Mrs Onholiday likes to observe or remind me, I'm not very good at knowing what I want or like in life, but I'm extremely good at knowing what I don't want or like (a few high profile exceptions).

In theory, there aren't any reasons for me to not to enjoy this album. I have grown to like some folk and even more so country music (thank you to predominantly Johnnie and Neil), I have no reason not to appreciate Celtic 'sounding' instruments that make up the band (my father was Irish but most Irish music doesn't it for me - with extreme prejudice this doesn't include the likes of Rory Gallagher!!!!!!!!!), but it just doesn't do it for me. Even for the hits that everyone seems to enjoy on here.

Don't mind his voice, they are a nicely arranged very accomplished set of musicians, he is singing about a 'something' which is a turn on, but it doesn't do it for me.

The accordion (I think) doesn't work for me, way way too front and centre - I find it overpowering and I don't like the set up of the drum kit (seems superficial but it pricks my ear immediately).

I really liked the bit that someone posted that the band sat down and discussed how they wanted to sound in advance of going into the studio - makes perfect sense to me although I'm certain I would end up in the studio and stumble upon how we sound after playing.

I did mention this in whatever thread earlier that I was pretty delighted when Blues from the porch came on - my immediate gut feel was 'what a great change of pace for the album' (granted I as I was listening whilst driving, so didn't realise it was the end of the album not that it wasn't part of the original album). Go figure - but I really do like that song :-)

This feels harsh but I feel it being around a 3-4 (again referring to my previous scoring in the top 1000 thread), and we'll round up this time to a 4 as I just listened to Blues from the porch and it's good.

On I go to Metallica...............

Last edited:
John Cougar Mellencamp
Lonesome
Marks?????????

Another that I was really looking forward to listening to based on me never having knowingly listened to him / them before.

Top man @RobMCFC !

As Mrs Onholiday likes to observe or remind me, I'm not very good at knowing what I want or like in life, but I'm extremely good at knowing what I don't want or like (a few high profile exceptions).

In theory, there aren't any reasons for me to not to enjoy this album. I have grown to like some folk and even more so country music (thank you to predominantly Johnnie and Neil), I have no reason not to appreciate Celtic 'sounding' instruments that make up the band (my father was Irish but most Irish music doesn't it for me - with extreme prejudice this doesn't include the likes of Rory Gallagher!!!!!!!!!), but it just doesn't do it for me. Even for the hits that everyone seems to enjoy on here.

Don't mind his voice, they are a nicely arranged very accomplished set of musicians, he is singing about a 'something' which is a turn on, but it doesn't do it for me.

The accordion (I think) doesn't work for me, way way too front and centre - I find it overpowering and I don't like the set up of the drum kit (seems superficial but it pricks my ear immediately).

I really liked the bit that someone posted that the band sat down and discussed how they wanted to sound in advance of going into the studio - makes perfect sense to me although I'm certain I would end up in the studio and stumble upon how we sound after playing.

I did mention this in whatever thread earlier that I was pretty delighted when Blues from the porch came on - my immediate gut feel was 'what a great change of pace for the album' (granted I as I was listening whilst driving, so didn't realise it was the end of the album not that it wasn't part of the original album). Go figure - but I really do like that song :-)

This feels harsh but I feel it being around a 3-4 (again referring to my previous scoring in the top 1000 thread), and we'll round up this time to a 4 as I just listened to Blues from the porch and it's good.

On I go on to Metallica...............
It’s fair to say that if you don’t like the sound of the accordion, you aren’t going to love this album, but thanks for giving it a go.

It’s fair to say that if you don’t like the sound of the accordion, you aren’t going to love this album, but thanks for giving it a go.
It's had 2 and a half run throughs and I purposely held off for a day or so to see if my subconscious kicked in (bizarrely this is pretty much how I best learn / process).

Are any of his other albums less 'folky'?

A lot of everyone's observations were pretty nailed on, he really does have a Springsteen thing to him (to be fair I'm not a big his either).......,....

It's had 2 and a half run throughs and I purposely held off for a day or so to see if my subconscious kicked in (bizarrely this is pretty much how I best learn / process).

Are any of his other albums less 'folky'?

A lot of everyone's observations were pretty nailed on, he really does have a Springsteen thing to him (to be fair I'm not a big his either).......,....
They are. Whilst most of his music shares a “sound”, you could try Whenever We Wanted (1991) for crunchy guitars or Mr Happy Go Lucky (1996) for a mix of everything (including loops and beats - not usually my thing but this really works).

Springsteen, Mellencamp and Tom Petty are all in my top 5 artists so it’s fair to say that I’m a fan of this sound.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.